Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > LOL Cold steel weapon test Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: LOL Cold steel weapon test         Reply with quote

I dont know who watchs Tosh .0 But this is in our line of lol of the community. When you see the last piece of this video I hope you laugh your head off as much as I did! The entire sword comes apart and flies in pieces mid swing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofMnvrMRpjM

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lmao

Granted that sword did take alot of abuse one wouldnt subject a normal sword to. They are overly built but even with such tortures as that hitting hard objects somethings bound to break off.
Ha ha gotta load this to my facebook.
Thanks

Proudly it stands until the worlds end. The victorious banner of love.
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, I laughed. Looks like it simply failed at the peen though, so he should be able to put it back together.
"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well,we all know that no sword can take unlimited abuse.However,Cold Steel swords are not not known for being poor quality.My take on this video is that it was STAGED,just for entertainment .They probably COULDN'T get the sword to break on its own,so they tampered with it and set the whole thing up.If you look at the comments,more than a few viewers believe the same thing.Oh well,what can we expect from TV ? But hey,its funny anyways. Big Grin
Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That Great Sword does have a very poor peen/pommel attachment; or it did the last time I seen one. The pommel is only held on by a scant couple of threads. Its not unreasonable to think this pommel just worked its way off - several of the Cold Steels I have held over the years have had loose pommels that needed to be retightened and Loctitied for security. So, the blade itself is probably not even broken - the man abusing it just did not know to periodically check it for tightness.

Video is still funny as hell. Show what happens when non-sword people play with sharp objects...

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that video. I don't think that last bit was staged either. That cold steel has a massive blade, with massive fitting with a teeny tiny bit of thread holding everything together. I have seen that happen in real life actually. Doesn't take much inattention to what that pommel is doing actually and the fact that it happened on a TV shoot that was about horsing around with that sword, not surprising at all.
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I enjoyed that video. Thanks for posting it.
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I LOL'd Laughing Out Loud
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Anthony Densmore

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny.

Speaking as a sport fencer, can anyone pull a .gif from the part of the video where the fencer turns and runs?
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cold Steel's videos will always be a source of great entertainment, that much is certain. Big Grin
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

oh my.
I already perceived that the community here doesn`t heartly love coldsteel.
However, i always thought, that`s so due some maybe lacking historical accuracy (?).
And now this.
As i`m just before graduating, i wanted to reward myself somehow afterwards Blush by buying a new sword.
And i had coldsteel in mind, having a hard time deciding between the austro-hungarian 1904 saber (showing some patriotism Wink ) or that neat looking british 1908.

i do like coldsteel for 2 reasons:
1. their cutting performance videos ARE impressive
2. their prices are exactly in that range, where i would actually think of maltreating a sword. (if i bought some highpriced albion, i could equally buy some $30 wallhanger, both would be untouched as long as i lived)

So.
Does anyone have impartial reasons to discourage me from buying a coldsteel weapon,
having made bad experiences ?
recommendations would be appreciated Happy
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i personally have not bought from cold steel myself. And I did not post this to hate on cold steel at all. It was an lol moment for me and thought the folks here would appreciate a good laugh too.

With that aside speaking from my own experiences, as my study of this aspect of history has grown, Some things I have purchased before when I thought "Oh how cool, I want that object of history in my home" down the road in time I come to find out that the original purchases are nothing but fantasy items that "Very Loosely" resemble a sword. And now I want the real deal, a replica of a historical piece.

So ask yourself this question....

"Do I want Historically based items in my collection? Or do I want any old thing that "appears to be historical in my collection?"

Spend $100 dollars to learn that it cost $200 dollars for the real deal, and spend a total of $300 dollars saying "Gosh, I could have saved $100 bucks if I would have got the real deal originally"

Its all up to you really, from what I see, If I didn't care for historical accuracy, I would buy from cold steel.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
And I did not post this to hate on cold steel at all. It was an lol moment for me and thought the folks here would appreciate a good laugh too.

Yeah, it was a laugh for me too. Sorry if i appeared somewhat harsh. Worried

Quote:
If I didn't care for historical accuracy, I would buy from cold steel.

ok, thats what i wanted to know, thanks.
as for me, i rather value sturdiness, durability and performance higher than historical accuracy, so when i saw your vid, i trembled shortly and thought "omg, what am i going to buy !?"
Kevin Rolly

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was actually disturbed at one moment with the staged shot with the kid...until watching it again slow and it's just a well placed cut...

I mean edit...

-Kevissimo
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gottfried P. Doerler wrote:
oh my.
I already perceived that the community here doesn`t heartly love coldsteel.
However, i always thought, that`s so due some maybe lacking historical accuracy (?).
And now this.
As i`m just before graduating, i wanted to reward myself somehow afterwards Blush by buying a new sword.
And i had coldsteel in mind, having a hard time deciding between the austro-hungarian 1904 saber (showing some patriotism Wink ) or that neat looking british 1908.

i do like coldsteel for 2 reasons:
1. their cutting performance videos ARE impressive
2. their prices are exactly in that range, where i would actually think of maltreating a sword. (if i bought some highpriced albion, i could equally buy some $30 wallhanger, both would be untouched as long as i lived)

So.
Does anyone have impartial reasons to discourage me from buying a coldsteel weapon,

Cold Steel makes some excellent fixed blade knives and some interesting designs...but I have found through experience that a lot of their products are not the best designed. Their swords and axes tend to be over engineered and too heavy and from close personal experience their non-lockback folding knives are junk (Recon Folder in particular). Their blades are well sharpened though...sometimes too well sharpened. Like most big cutlery makers, some stuff is good and some mediocre and some bad.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to admit that I could care less about Cold Steel quality and what the clip might or might not say about it...that was just flat out funny. Really nicely thought out and put together. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Tue 01 Mar, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

here's your gif

GIFSoup

apparently someone painted a picture inspired by their opinion of the CS sword check this out:

I love the fun stuff that pops up on the web. ain't it all just glorious and silly?
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
If I didn't care for historical accuracy, I would buy from cold steel.

ok, thats what i wanted to know, thanks.
as for me, i rather value sturdiness, durability and performance higher than historical accuracy, so when i saw your vid, i trembled shortly and thought "omg, what am i going to buy !?"

I am okay with some cold steel swords from a purely structural PoV...but some I do consider to be quite unsafe for use and I would not waste money on it. That great sword for example is not structurally a good sword. Neither was the first run of the kreigmesser or bastard sword. Pommels that break off = whirling blade of doom and that is just not a good thing. Their sabers are more structurally sound...but here's the thing, they are about as good as windlass ones at twice the price. Course the windlass comes dull so you need to put an edge on it...but still, I'd take the windlass over the cold steel for the money. That is really cold steel's failing. They aren't that good and they aren't that cheap (and if you ever pay MSRP on them, they are a flat out rip off).
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So.

A quick search of the forum will reveal a number of Cold Steel blades that have snapped or disassembled themselves on not at all challenging targets. I think a CS grosse messer breaking about six inches from the guard while passing through a pumpkin is my favorite example. Additionally, the handling is completely ahistorical. There is certainly a place for "cheap but durable." I just don't think that Cold Steel is it.

...as for me, i rather value sturdiness, durability and performance higher than historical accuracy, so when i saw your vid, i trembled shortly and thought "omg, what am i going to buy !?"

Angus Trim would seem a good choice, off the top of my head. The prices are similar, and you get something really well made.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most of Cold Steel's swords are a combination of overbuilt and underdesigned - too much material, not enough thought. They tend to be very modern-looking, blade-heavy and awkward, and several have failed almost catastrophically (although AFAIK nobody's been hurt yet, thank gods). This goes especially for the larger European style swords - most of their shorter blades, military sabers and all of their Japanese-style swords seem to be at least structurally solid, if still heavy and clumsy.

They do make some very good knives, and it's reasonable to expect a few turkeys in any large enough production line (though catching those before they ship out is what quality control is for), but still, their sword designs are seriously lacking. It looks like when they started making swords, they took what they knew about making knives and simply made everything bigger - and it just doesn't work that way.

Personally, I also can't watch their demo videos without cracking up. So desperately macho, and so very very deadly serious about it. That painting hits the mark, except that it almost looks as if he might actually smirk a little bit, and I've never ever seen that guy change his facial expression. (Also, his pants aren't hiked up high enough.)

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > LOL Cold steel weapon test
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: