Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Custom Handmade Scabbard; Arming Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Brian K.
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Custom Handmade Scabbard; Arming Sword         Reply with quote

Hello myArmoury community.

I'm a firm believer that every sword deserves a good home, and the Windlass Arming Sword is no exception! I felt pretty good about this one once completed and I thought everyone here would enjoy having a look.

Commentary and such are welcome, as usual and thanks for looking!

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks very nice Brian. You took something that some might look down on and made it special with another one of your superb scabbards. While it is not your fanciest work in terms of decoration it's simplicity speaks to me as it were.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
That looks very nice Brian. You took something that some might look down on and made it special with another one of your superb scabbards. While it is not your fanciest work in terms of decoration it's simplicity speaks to me as it were.

Scott

Thank you Scott, you always have something nice to say and are very cordial I might add. Every once in a while a customer forces my hand into the simple, yet elegant looking leatherwork Wink

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

Scott

Thank you Scott, you always have something nice to say and are very cordial I might add. Every once in a while a customer forces my hand into the simple, yet elegant looking leatherwork Wink

You are welcome Brian. I was always told if you do not have something nice to say then do not say it. I try to keep to that as much as I can. I guess it also stems from the fact that I am in sales so how I present myself most of the time as well as speak is important to my well being, and my ability to buy shiny toys and the things that go with them. Sometimes simple is better. Especially when you can make it elegant in the doing.

Scott

That and I plan on contacting you for a scabbard when a couple of other projects are completed so it does not hurt to schmooze you! Wink

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
R D Moore

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
Every once in a while a customer forces my hand into the simple, yet elegant looking leatherwork Wink

I think the mark of an artisan is to be able to visualize his project be it simple or intricate, plain or ornate culminating in a balance of form, color,- and in the case of scabbards- function. The range and depth of your talent is evident with every piece you post, Brian. Always a pleasure to see your work..

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Ed S.

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
Brian K. wrote:
Every once in a while a customer forces my hand into the simple, yet elegant looking leatherwork Wink

I think the mark of an artisan is to be able to visualize his project be it simple or intricate, plain or ornate culminating in a balance of form, color,

I agree completely Happy. Brian always does a superb job creating a scabbard that matches its sword perfectly. Another great job Brian.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Superb scabbard.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Adam S.

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Buckle and Tongue         Reply with quote

Hey Brian,

I've been curious. Why do you cut your belt ends the way you do? When I do a belt I usually notch the transition between the fixture and the leather so that it's flush. Like I said, just curious. Like your scabbards.

~A

Randy W

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

that really dresses up what I have always considered a rather bland sword, excellent presentation

Randy

Randy Westgate
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Buckle and Tongue         Reply with quote

Adam S. wrote:
Hey Brian,

I've been curious. Why do you cut your belt ends the way you do? When I do a belt I usually notch the transition between the fixture and the leather so that it's flush. Like I said, just curious. Like your scabbards.

~A

Hmmm, in short, I actually do everything a little differently each time. I think in this case it could have gone either way. Good eye though.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another solid victory! Keep them coming, your scabbards get better and better. Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous.
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

you really are a complete and utter b*****d.
by which, I should add, that that is yet again, completely and utterly gorgeous, and therefore I envy you something rotten for being able to make something of such quality... Happy
Actually, what I envy most is that you seem to be able to make them so blimmin' fast... there's a new post every few days, it seems... amazing.

Someday, if I'm able to send something all the way to you from this side of the pond, I'll have to look at a commission or two. maybe three. or four. actually, make that five. do you do bulk discount for one of every period? Happy

two things I'd like to ask, however: The first is if you have any photos of the scabbard throats? I gather from a comment you made in one thread that you use a wool lining... friends have tried to make scabbards with wool lining for viking period swords (reenactment) and let's just say the end results were... well.... if you imagine a scragging a sheep, and stuffing a strip of it's side between two bits of timber, before wrapping it in a bit of a shaved coo's bum, you've got an idea of what it looked like. now take that image, and make it about 3 times uglier than your first image, and you've got a pretty good picture of the monstosity that was done... I swear, you could've driven a bus into that thing.

so I'd love to see a shot of the throat, so we can look and go "aah, so it is possible", and, if it does'nt inspire the chap to do a commission, perhaps at the least inspire something a little less ghastly than that Frankenscabbard... though even using the same word "scabbard" to describe such an object is an insult to your gorgeous work.... I dont think we got photographs of it, thankfully. it might've cracked the camera lens.

The other question is, can you do scabbards for rebated reenactment blades, with a thicker edge, or does the router/jigging/carving/miracle working you do preclude such thickened edges?
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice! The only thing that doesn't look right is the buckle and the strap end; they're both a bit late for that type of suspension, although it is possible they might've coexisted. And I'm probably one of the few that'll care or notice anyway so... Wink

Johan Schubert Moen
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Handsom" was the word that imediately sprung to my mind when I looked at those pics. very nice work.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JG Elmslie wrote:
so I'd love to see a shot of the throat, so we can look and go "aah, so it is possible", and, if it does'nt inspire the chap to do a commission, perhaps at the least inspire something a little less ghastly than that Frankenscabbard... though even using the same word "scabbard" to describe such an object is an insult to your gorgeous work.... I dont think we got photographs of it, thankfully. it might've cracked the camera lens.

The other question is, can you do scabbards for rebated reenactment blades, with a thicker edge, or does the router/jigging/carving/miracle working you do preclude such thickened edges?

I'll get back to you on the throat pic's, as I don't have any right now.

I guess it depends on how thick the edge is. I've made scabbards for blunt's before, in fact this particular scabbard is a blunt, but of course Windlass blunt edges are fairly thin. My question would be, how chewed up is the edge or would it become after use, because that would definitely affect the fit down the road. I could use a different technique that allowed for plenty of edge damage, if that is the case, but it wouldn't be a 'fit's like a glove' fit. But it would look good, and that would be the point, right?!? Cool

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This seems a little like the Excalibur example on the Albion web site. I don't mean to put down a great value sword, but I am not sure it is worthy of its scabbard!

That is a lovely fit up of the chape to the raised leather outline of its mouth profile by the way. (I am not sure if it is raised there, or if you have stippled the contrasting region to give it the matt finish.) I don't recall seeing it done much before. I think its a great example of creativity based upon historically based design philosophy.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:

I'll get back to you on the throat pic's, as I don't have any right now.

I guess it depends on how thick the edge is. I've made scabbards for blunt's before, in fact this particular scabbard is a blunt, but of course Windlass blunt edges are fairly thin. My question would be, how chewed up is the edge or would it become after use, because that would definitely affect the fit down the road. I could use a different technique that allowed for plenty of edge damage, if that is the case, but it wouldn't be a 'fit's like a glove' fit. But it would look good, and that would be the point, right?!? Cool

thanks for that - I'll look forward to the pics - to discuss commissions for reenactment use, I'll likely discuss that via email or the likes when my cashflow is a bit more secure...been laid off work for a while due to RSI :/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, it's kind of like approving a subprime mortgage so a crackhead can live in a quarter-million dollar home but to each his own. Big Grin

Seriously, you took a mediocre sword and turned it into an eye catching ensemble. Did you re-do the grip as well?

Very nice.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're going to have to take my word for it when I say that the sword is far from mediocre. Of the three I've seen so far, they're all worth at least twice what the asking price was. Far from mediocre.

The scabbard is excellent, Brian.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Well, it's kind of like approving a subprime mortgage so a crackhead can live in a quarter-million dollar home but to each his own. Big Grin

Seriously, you took a mediocre sword and turned it into an eye catching ensemble. Did you re-do the grip as well?

Very nice.

Thank you Patrick. The grip is my handywork as well.

Nathan Robinson wrote:
You're going to have to take my word for it when I say that the sword is far from mediocre. Of the three I've seen so far, they're all worth at least twice what the asking price was. Far from mediocre.

The scabbard is excellent, Brian.

Thank you very much.

Thank's everyone for the kind word's, it really mean's a lot.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Custom Handmade Scabbard; Arming Sword
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: