Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ollin Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew R.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Ollin Swords         Reply with quote

Hi there,

I was hoping to get the opinion fo some people who have worked with Ollin swords. I am wondering how good their work is, especially when compared to others like Albion and Arms and Armor. They seem really nice, and know how to do alot of different things. I am a litle worried though that they may be better on the fantasy stuff and lack in the historical department - and I want my sword to be as historical and functional as possible. Does anyone have any thoughts or can lend any help? Thanks!

Matthew Resmini
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ollin Swords         Reply with quote

Matthew Resmini wrote:
Hi there,

I was hoping to get the opinion fo some people who have worked with Ollin swords. I am wondering how good their work is, especially when compared to others like Albion and Arms and Armor. They seem really nice, and know how to do alot of different things. I am a litle worried though that they may be better on the fantasy stuff and lack in the historical department - and I want my sword to be as historical and functional as possible. Does anyone have any thoughts or can lend any help? Thanks!

Matthew Resmini

Hi Matthew
In my experience they'll do whatever you want. They'll follow museum plans if you have them, make changes if you want them, make guesses if you need them. Product is functional. Whether the same as an original, I can't say, but seems to fall in the range of Albion swords that I own that are of a similar type, in terms of feel, fit etc.. I've not had swords from A&A so I can't comment in that case. Overall, good to work with and a very satisfactory outcome. I'd use them again if I wanted something custom that fell in their range of expertise. If I wanted pattern welding, filigree, etc. I'd probably go to Patrick Barta.
Geoff
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would highly recommend OlliN's work. Their quality is top notch. I own many production and custom swords and my OlliN swords rank among my favorites. I think their most notable quality is their customer service which I can honestly say is the best I've had (by far!) from any custom smith. I have 2 sword from them currently and 2 more on the way all of which are historically based. I would recommend contacting them directly to discuss your project.
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can't recommend OlliN enough. Great guys, and their blades are fantastic. They do great historical work from the few pieces I've seen. The best thing though is the guys themselves. I've never worked with anyone who is as customer oriented and up front as they are.
" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seconded, or thirded or whatever what has already been written.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Matthew R.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys, it is much appreciated. Whoever I talked to was indeed very helpfull (wish I could remember who it was). I know that I will be getting good service. I believe you all have helped me make my choice. Thanks again!
Brian Kent

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some of their stuff looks tempting I might send them a design to see what they say.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sent an email two days ago with regards to a project, and haven't yet gotten
a reply ... for what that's worth of course. B-)
Matthew R.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They might be better with phones. I talked to one of them on the phone for a while and he was very helpful.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Resmini wrote:
They might be better with phones. I talked to one of them on the phone for a while and he was very helpful.

With OlliN I usually get a reply within a couple of days and sometimes the same day with e-mail.

I think people are sometimes impatient about e-mails as one has no idea how busy someone receiving an e-mail is and they might even be unavailable for a couple of days for any reason ! (In the middle of a rush, minor sickness or accident, flooded basement, fender bender, vacation, out of town on business, lots of other e-mails to deal with, computer hardrive died ....... ANYTHING ! )

What seems like a long time for a reply can be really very reasonable: It's like calling someone on the phone and getting voice mail. If you sit next to the phone looking at it and waiting for it to ring an hour is going to seem like an eternity. Razz Laughing Out Loud

To me bad response to e-mails " starts " after 72 hours or even a week for routine communication and if it is really something urgent I' ll resend the e-mail or phone.

Obviously a fast response is always enjoyable. ( no one likes to wait Wink ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ollin Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic