Ollin Swords
Hi there,

I was hoping to get the opinion fo some people who have worked with Ollin swords. I am wondering how good their work is, especially when compared to others like Albion and Arms and Armor. They seem really nice, and know how to do alot of different things. I am a litle worried though that they may be better on the fantasy stuff and lack in the historical department - and I want my sword to be as historical and functional as possible. Does anyone have any thoughts or can lend any help? Thanks!

Matthew Resmini
Re: Ollin Swords
Matthew Resmini wrote:
Hi there,

I was hoping to get the opinion fo some people who have worked with Ollin swords. I am wondering how good their work is, especially when compared to others like Albion and Arms and Armor. They seem really nice, and know how to do alot of different things. I am a litle worried though that they may be better on the fantasy stuff and lack in the historical department - and I want my sword to be as historical and functional as possible. Does anyone have any thoughts or can lend any help? Thanks!

Matthew Resmini

Hi Matthew
In my experience they'll do whatever you want. They'll follow museum plans if you have them, make changes if you want them, make guesses if you need them. Product is functional. Whether the same as an original, I can't say, but seems to fall in the range of Albion swords that I own that are of a similar type, in terms of feel, fit etc.. I've not had swords from A&A so I can't comment in that case. Overall, good to work with and a very satisfactory outcome. I'd use them again if I wanted something custom that fell in their range of expertise. If I wanted pattern welding, filigree, etc. I'd probably go to Patrick Barta.
Geoff
I would highly recommend OlliN's work. Their quality is top notch. I own many production and custom swords and my OlliN swords rank among my favorites. I think their most notable quality is their customer service which I can honestly say is the best I've had (by far!) from any custom smith. I have 2 sword from them currently and 2 more on the way all of which are historically based. I would recommend contacting them directly to discuss your project.
Can't recommend OlliN enough. Great guys, and their blades are fantastic. They do great historical work from the few pieces I've seen. The best thing though is the guys themselves. I've never worked with anyone who is as customer oriented and up front as they are.
Seconded, or thirded or whatever what has already been written.
Thanks for the help guys, it is much appreciated. Whoever I talked to was indeed very helpfull (wish I could remember who it was). I know that I will be getting good service. I believe you all have helped me make my choice. Thanks again!
Some of their stuff looks tempting I might send them a design to see what they say.
I sent an email two days ago with regards to a project, and haven't yet gotten
a reply ... for what that's worth of course. B-)
They might be better with phones. I talked to one of them on the phone for a while and he was very helpful.
Matthew Resmini wrote:
They might be better with phones. I talked to one of them on the phone for a while and he was very helpful.

With OlliN I usually get a reply within a couple of days and sometimes the same day with e-mail.

I think people are sometimes impatient about e-mails as one has no idea how busy someone receiving an e-mail is and they might even be unavailable for a couple of days for any reason ! (In the middle of a rush, minor sickness or accident, flooded basement, fender bender, vacation, out of town on business, lots of other e-mails to deal with, computer hardrive died ....... ANYTHING ! )

What seems like a long time for a reply can be really very reasonable: It's like calling someone on the phone and getting voice mail. If you sit next to the phone looking at it and waiting for it to ring an hour is going to seem like an eternity. :p :lol:

To me bad response to e-mails " starts " after 72 hours or even a week for routine communication and if it is really something urgent I' ll resend the e-mail or phone.

Obviously a fast response is always enjoyable. ( no one likes to wait ;) ).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: