Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A celtic concept by Patrick Barta Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that Greg! Tell Patrick congratulations on a very beautiful set. I particularly like the scabbard.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous! A very big congratulations to Patrick Kelly on this pending acquisition!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not having studied this type of sword much, I can't comment on the authenticity of it, but I have a good idea that the two of them can put together a concept that is more than in the ballpark...

But what I can say for sure is that this is a gorgeous piece. I love the details.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Andrew Babbini

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! That's really nice Mr Kelly. Thank you for sharing that with us. What is the scabbard made of? I hear that some were iron over wood. Very interesting pattern in the blade as well. Congratulations! I'm hoping you write a review once you get to handle it. Cool

Respectfully,

Andrew
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Hmmm ...         Reply with quote

I can imagine Patrick is very excited to soon be the proud owner of this beautiful project, but
I'd like everyone to note -- everyone that has hopes of commissioning his or her own project
in the future : The first post where we read about this project was dated January 8th, 2007.
The post showing the picture of Patrick's sword is dated June 13th, 2007 ...

Variables for different ideas and different styles notwithstanding, Patrick's sword w/scabbard
was finished inside 6 months time. Is this an abberation of the thought I've read oft repeated
that one should expect as much as 3 years for a custom project to be completed? Is Mr. Barta
some sort of exception to this vague rule ? Should myArmoury commission a delegation to
approach Mr. Barta and determine that he is -- in fact ! -- human and not alien and just did
one wang-willy-bip-bang-bop of a job for a very respected member of the sword community ?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmm ...         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
I can imagine Patrick is very excited to soon be the proud owner of this beautiful project, but
I'd like everyone to note -- everyone that has hopes of commissioning his or her own project
in the future : The first post where we read about this project was dated January 8th, 2007.
The post showing the picture of Patrick's sword is dated June 13th, 2007 ...

Variables for different ideas and different styles notwithstanding, Patrick's sword w/scabbard
was finished inside 6 months time. Is this an abberation of the thought I've read oft repeated
that one should expect as much as 3 years for a custom project to be completed? Is Mr. Barta
some sort of exception to this vague rule ? Should myArmoury commission a delegation to
approach Mr. Barta and determine that he is -- in fact ! -- human and not alien and just did
one wang-willy-bip-bang-bop of a job for a very respected member of the sword community ?

I remember Patrick Kelly getting his name on Mr. Barta's list at least a couple years ago. It took quite some time before Mr. Barta was even ready to discuss the concept, let alone to start making it. I believe it wasn't until this year that the final choice was even made of what to make.

My own experience with Mr. Barta was similar. I was on the list for a couple years and then when my name came up, we spent a bit of time finalizing the commission. This might sound odd, but let's consider that people's tastes may very well change after a couple years. Once the sword was started, it didn't take very long to complete. Some styles are, of course, going to take longer to complete than others. The real waiting with Mr. Barta isn't the production time, but the wait list.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent point that I didn't immediately consider, Nathan. I stand awakened. B-)
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Holy smoke! That is a gorgeous sword. It really makes me excited for my spot in line to come up! Thanks for sharing this with us.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am on Patrick's 3 year wait list- but we have already had a good exchange regarding some of the details of my commission. I am excited- even though I have to wait that long. I believe that Patrick produces some of the most historically based and quality work out there. Some details can only come from a custom smith and SOME details can only be executed by Patrick Barta. I also feel that his prices are very reasonable for what you get- not counting the international shipping- that's another matter.

Jeremy
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword arrived last week in good condition, with only a 2-day ship time. For $300 shipping charges it better be quick, LOL. Here are some close-ups Patrick took and asked to have posted. I handled the sword yesterday, and yes it handles as well as it looks, and it looks even better in person than the pics tell.:} Enjoy!

More here: http://www.pbase.com/khp_plk/barta_work&page=all

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous! I think the scabbard may be as interesting a piece of art as the sword itself! My congratulations to Mr Kelly.
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword looks really nice, but that scabbard just makes me drool. Is it all metal construction or is there something lining it? It looks too thin for there to be wood, but maybe felt or something like that?

I'm glad that Patrick Barta's designs are not appropriate for my period of interest, otherwise I'd be handing over my savings account right about now.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is so extravegently awesome it borders on ridiculous. I can't even begin to imagine how much it costs if the shipping alone was $300. One day, I hope to be able to get a Barta piece, but I don't see it happening for a long time.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I started my order with Patrick for his Abingdon sword last November, his backlog was 2 1/2 years. I am now just about 1/4 of the way through the waitng period. Big Grin
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I could tell you how much it cost, but then PK would track us all down and...well...you know the rest. Wink
Seriously though, I can say that it was probably the most reasonably priced custom sword/scabbard combo I've ever seen and Patrick got a heck of a deal.

Greyson - yes the scabbard is all metal with no lining. It has a nice fit which surprised me. The back side is heat-blued and wraps around the front. Very nicely done all around.

PK wishes to say thanks to everyone for their kind comments, and best to all.

Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: inhand pic         Reply with quote

One more picture showing in-hand for scale.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Impressive in every way. Cool

Oh, someone asked before what the scabbard is made of ? Maybe I missed it but I don't remember seeing that information ?

All metal but what metal ? Steel, silver, some alloy like nickel silver, a white bronze ? Just looks too white for steel to me, but I could be wrong.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin Thats is a real jewel, love everything on that sword and scabbard,
and that wide mix of metal, wood and all.
Made of Patrick for Patrick, congrats from Patrik Cool

Hey Greg!
Rip his cloths of and paint him blue and send him out to that sand pit and take some photos. Razz

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I see that Patrick Barta has it up on his TEMPL site as sword number 126 for 1100 EUROs. That seems qyite reasonable for the apparent level of work that goes into the sword.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Geir Buraas

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Is mr Barta offline?         Reply with quote

This is maybe bit off topic..but I have tried to reach Patrick Barta through his templ@templ.net email for 2-3 weeks now...no reply. A few of my emails got bounced back too... So i was wondering how i can get in contact with him?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A celtic concept by Patrick Barta
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: