Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Odinblade: BloodRunner Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Stokes

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: New Odinblade: BloodRunner         Reply with quote

The name is sort of temporary, but the idea is as old as my relationship with John Lundemo.
Many years ago John and I discussed making a sword based loosely on the "Daywalker" sword from the Blade movies.
When I mean loosely, i mean VERY loosely.
The idea was for a sword of "katana length" but with a double edged blade, round disc tsuba like guard and a grip that was somewhat of a bastard sword size.

The design evolved into becoming a wider, more cut oriented blade with double fullers as opposed to the fuller-less pointed daywalker sword. The handle design was left more up to John who came up with the fishtail pommel which is alot more aesthetically pleasing than the original design.

What we eventually got was a sword that bared VERY little resemblance to the inspiration and more resemblance to a chinese Jian type sword.
We will let the on-lookers decide what inspired the design because in actuality its another one of those "100% Lundemo" designs.

The blade, guard and pommel are all made of damascus and the handle/grip is covered with rayskin.
The blade is about 28" long and the entire hilt (handle and pommel) is about 7" long.
Its a very lightweight, agile sword and is just begging to cut something!
Vampires?
Zombies?
who knows!

it was really rainy today sorry for the sucky pix...

J Anstey

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David

I like it a lot. John really has a great talent. I also think it has a Jian feel to it.

How does it handle? Some stats would be great.

Congrats on another fine piece.

Cheers

Jason
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's very beautiful. To me it looks a bit like a katzbalger inspired fantasy design...
David Stokes

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting observations on both posts!

it really IS a fusion of styles.

The idea here was to create a MODERN sword. Nothing "historically accurate" at all. thats the thing about this design, its not replicating of copying anything, its 100% original
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful sword. The ray-skin works very well with the awesome pattern welded steel. Congratulations on another nice addition to your collection (which I already am envious of).
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's an extremely nice piece of work you two got together on, but reminds me more of these
type of swords of Chinese ancestry I believe ... I gotta admit when you mentioned the sword from
the movie " Blade " my immediate thought was " Ugh ! "

... that changed rapidly when I saw the pic. Congrats on a beautiful acquisition.

[/i]
Brogdon Combs

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ARGH!!! The pictures won't show up for me... :'(

I've heard John talk about this sword for the last month, and I'm absolutely DYING to lay eyes on it. Would one of you fair gentlemen mind emailing the pictures to me at Brogdon[at]att[dot]net? Question I'd greatly appreciate it... Thank you!

Sincerely,
Brogdon Combs

"Here's to you, mister pirate-ship-captain! With your endless booty calls and a violent streak that makes Grand Theft Auto look like Super Mario Kart, only you could bring the wooden leg back into fashion, and only you could fight three men at a time with a patch over one eye and a hook for a hand."
-Strongblade.com
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another beautiful piece of work by John, and a wonderful example of understated taste. Congratulations to both of you.
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David, that's a great sword!! I'm with you on the idea of a modern sword and I think John's the perfect person to pull that off. I've got a commission in right now for a simple short-sword that I'm hoping will be the sword I've been looking for and wanting for years. I also have another idea for a sword that is similar to yours in that it is at least partially inspired by the sword of the daywalker and a chinese jian. It would be a substantially different take on the same theme and hopefully I can commission John to do it next year.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I swear, someday I gotta get me a Lundemo... that is wonderful (and I'm not a huge fan of "fantasy" swords. John is one who does fantasy stuff that looks cool and works)!
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:

[/i]

Huh, I was thinking that these swords had a sort-of Roman thing going on... Han China meets Caesar...

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
David Stokes

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David,

and thus we see the "circle" of humanity. As different as we are, we all have alot in common. Its interesting how similar swords are from such different cultures...
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 13 Nov, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful sword John and David, love how the fullers end too at the tip
J. Abernethy

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love the sword, it looks like asia meets viking in this baby! Its really beautiful, and the temptation to cut with it would be great. It looks like it would be alot of fun to chop stuff up with!!! Grats on a sweet sword.
Brogdon Combs

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brilliant!

Luka was kind enough to email me the pictures, so now I've had a chance to view this piece of art myself...

I must say, this is certainly one of Mr. Lundemo's greatest achievements. The words that come to mind when viewing this piece ar 'stunning', 'brilliant', and 'deadly'. I'll admit that due to my personal preferences, I would have tweaked a few minor details were I the customer for this beautful blade, but as it is, this is still one of my favorite Odin's to date. John is truly a great craftsman of our era, is he not?

LOL, now I REALLY need to get some $ to commision my own, much simpler, Odinblade. Wink I'm just dying to get one of his 'Slice 3-D' swords (sword page II on his site).

Congratulations to both of you, John and David! For a job well done, and for a sword worth it's weight in gold (yes, even with the whole 'gold-spike' thing going on. :P)

Sincerely,
Brogdon Combs

"Here's to you, mister pirate-ship-captain! With your endless booty calls and a violent streak that makes Grand Theft Auto look like Super Mario Kart, only you could bring the wooden leg back into fashion, and only you could fight three men at a time with a patch over one eye and a hook for a hand."
-Strongblade.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Odinblade: BloodRunner
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic