Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > oil drenched chainmail Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: oil drenched chainmail         Reply with quote

I recently purchased a chainmail hauberk from GDFB and found it to be totaly drenched in oil. There was so much oil on the mail that I could not touch it without getting black all over my arms. I have tries to wipe of the oil using various cloth but the chainmail i so drenched in oil that it hardly makes any difference.

Some of you guys must have encountered this problem to.

My question is thus: How do I remove the excessive oil from the chainmail without risking it to rust to much?

Regards,

Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Get used to the oil. Better black stained fingers and clothes than a rusty maille shirt.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The oil is worn of after a while. Alternately, you can just "dry" it by leaving it on a heater.

You will need a dedicated arming coat or shirt either way, as oil or rust will stain any clothes worn under mail.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First off, oil is period. Looking like a coal miner is period. You should see my gambeson. The oil will wear off as you fight in it. After that, apply minimal amounts to prevent rusting, but there is always gonna be some black on you and your garb...
Second, if you really want it gone, you can strip your maille with brake cleaner, and coat it with future floor polish. I have heard any acrylic floor polish will work, but future was specifically recommended as it is designed to resist abrasion. I haven't done this to my hauberk, but I have experimented with it on the remnants of the sleeves when I shortened them to proper elbow length. We coated it, and left them outside in Louisiana at a friends house. They have gotten more than a months worth of rain, and still no rust (and this IS Louisiana)...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've wondered about this myself. What sort of oil would be historically used?
www.viking-shield.com
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have heard pigs fat was used, but am not sure if that is true or not. If it is, it must have been might smelly, under the hot Jerusalem sun...
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That couldn't have smelled good.

And what happens when you use the barrel and sand method to clean the mail? I would think the sand would stick to the mail and it would be quite a mess.

I am curious how long mail would last if you just tried to keep it dry and cleaned off the surface rust regularly with the barrel method?

Robin Smith wrote:
I have heard pigs fat was used, but am not sure if that is true or not. If it is, it must have been might smelly, under the hot Jerusalem sun...

www.viking-shield.com
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably awhile, but its losing metal each time.
As I said, if you really don't like the oil, then sealing the maille with Future Floor Polish is the way to go. The maille will need to be resealed every so often, lest it rust where the polish has worn through, but it works. I know a couple of people who swear by it (Steve of Forth Armoury does this I believe)...

Andrew Fox

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you really hate the oil then do what a friend of mine did and take it down to the local garage and have them wash it off in their parts cleaner. In his case the mechanic thought it was amusing so he cleaned it for free. Happy
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You don't need to do that... Any spray brake cleaner or carburator cleaner that you can get at an autoparts store works great. That is what I use to degrease before a vinegar bath. I have heard CRC brakleen isn't great, but almost anyother brand will do fine...
Joe Loder

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does the gunk just come off the maille after you spray it or do you have to scrub the beejeezus out of it with something?
He who laughs last, thinks fastest.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Loder wrote:
Does the gunk just come off the maille after you spray it or do you have to scrub the beejeezus out of it with something?

It dissolves and drizzles up. The remains dry out.
Be advised that it's a good idea to apply a thin layer of oil afterwards, as the process "dries out" the metal, making it more susceptible to rust later on.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Joe Loder

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
It dissolves and drizzles up. The remains dry out.

Oh that is just tremendously neat. I want to clean a bunch of the rings and fabric that I've been using and was wondering how to get the fabric shiny too. I'll give this a shot soon as I finish my next chunk of riveted maille. Thanks for the info guys!

~ Joe

He who laughs last, thinks fastest.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not worried about the oil, just curious how it was cared for historically.

Robin Smith wrote:
As I said, if you really don't like the oil, then sealing the maille with Future Floor Polish is the way to go. The maille will need to be resealed every so often, lest it rust where the polish has worn through, but it works. I know a couple of people who swear by it (Steve of Forth Armoury does this I believe)...

www.viking-shield.com
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

Your advice is most helpful. I will let you know how it worked out.

Regards,

/Ville
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:

Sounds good. Cool I wonder if Future floor polish would be also a good rust protection for plate armour ?

How often, if ever, does one have to refresh the polish ? Will have to see if that brand is available locally in Montreal: If it's a major National brand it should be ! ( sounds vaguely familiar ).

If the specific brand is hard to find how is it described as far as ingredients ! Most competitive products would tend to be very similar I think ( most brands of almost everything are most always the same unless there is an ingredient under some sort of patent protection ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any acrylic floor polish should work. It is designed to resist scuffs and seal against moisture. As for how often it needs to be re applied, well that I don't know. I guess before it rusts Wink
For protecting plate, I don't see why not. A friend of mine sealed his helm and gaunts with the acrylic spray sealer. He said it worked great until it didn't, if you get what I mean. But then again, he wasn't very diligent about reapplying on a regular basis, and it was being worn and fought in weekly...

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Any acrylic floor polish should work. It is designed to resist scuffs and seal against moisture. As for how often it needs to be re applied, well that I don't know. I guess before it rusts Wink
For protecting plate, I don't see why not. A friend of mine sealed his helm and gaunts with the acrylic spray sealer. He said it worked great until it didn't, if you get what I mean. But then again, he wasn't very diligent about reapplying on a regular basis, and it was being worn and fought in weekly...

Yes, if rust shows up I guess it wore of and wasn't reapplied often enough. Wink Laughing Out Loud

I would think giving the armour a little wipe before going outdoors " in the rain " or after wearing it outdoors would be a good time to reapply. Or, dusting the old armour off once in a while and adding a little polish then.

Oh, if living in a cold climate coming in from the cold will cause condensation on cold metal. ( So another good time to think about a quick wipe off at least ).

The good thing though is that it just seems that a little preventative maintenance is all that is needed short of being caught in a salt spray near the ocean. Razz Laughing Out Loud

And thanks for the reply and the good tip. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is it from India?
If so some of the makers cover it in graphite/oil. Its a bugger! While I agree the oil look is period this is taking it a bit far. I was covered head to toe in black gunk!

I did the naughty thing and soaked it in petrol in a plastic bucket afterwards rubbing it with a old towel before oiling again in lanolin.

N
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pine-Sol will take the oil off of mail as well.

About "Getting greasy from the oil being period," How do we know? I know of sources saying the sand-in-a-barrel method, but do we actually have any (primary) sources describing oil on mail? Inquiring minds want to know. Question

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > oil drenched chainmail
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: