Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A basket-hilt by Patrick BártaProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: A basket-hilt by Patrick Bárta         Reply with quote

Several years ago I contacted Patrick Bárta of TEMPL Historic Arms in the Czech Republic to create a Schiavona for me. I was absolutely thrilled with the results and immediately asked to be put into his work queue again. This time I asked if he'd be interested in creating another kind of "continental" basket-hilt.

I sent him several photos of original basket-hilts that were of interest to me like these examples:

After a few email exchanges, the sharing of more photos, and some of his own research, Mr. Bárta chose a few different antique swords, all dated from the early 17th century, as inspiration for his replica.

The blade of the replica is based on an example in a Prague museum by German swordcuttler Heinrich Goll. It has inscriptions that read ENRIQVE COEL and EN ALAMANIA in the fullers. The hilt is based on two very similar hilts from Malbork, Poland (East Prussia prior to World War II) and Vienna, Austria. Here is a photo of the antique sword hilt from Malbork:

Click photo for larger version

I waited nearly three years to have the new basket-hilt created. Mr. Bárta contacted me in the summer of 2006 to tell me that he was starting the project. There were some delays from the original estimate, but Patrick was was communicative and always contacted me before any delays. Once he began the project, it took him only a short time to complete it.

I received a note in December 2006 with photos of the completed sword. I was thrilled with the results. So after a wire transfer, another week of waiting, and huge shipping bill, the handmade crate arrived safe and sound from the Czech Republic.

Have a look at at what he's created:

Click photos for larger versions

The pommel and cross-guard finials have stippling and are each inlaid with brass. What a fantastic touch! The blade is crisp and he's replicated the incised inscription from the antique in Prague. Note the tight wire-wrapped grip with its brass Turk's head knots that match the brass inlays. The thumb-ring adds greatly to the handling of the piece. The basket guard is forge-welded from iron dating back 300 years. The scabbard has a wooden core, leather covering, and brass accents. its cross-section is quite thin, as it is supposed to be, and the brass parts are all carefully file-worked.

The overall length is 43.625" with a blade of 37.625" long and 1.5" wide at its base. It's a big, heavy sword made for a cavalryman combating heavily-armoured targets.

More photos and complete stats will appear on a future myArmoury.com weekly update. Stay tuned.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love this. I'm not huge into that time period, but that's a really nice piece. Really nice. Happy

The sum of all the little details really makes it special.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW! That is a gorgeous piece of work! Congrats Nathan. Can't wait to see the review.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hearty congratulations on this very nice sword Nathan! You'll have to now give us a review of it! ;-)
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's one beautiful beast. Interested to know what it weighs and how agile it is, no doubt a fearsome cutter.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for looking and, of course, sharing your comments! What strikes me deeply about his work in general, and this sword in particular, are the details that he puts into it. That, along with the capturing of shaping from the originals, makes his work both impressive and compelling in so many ways.

I regret to say this, but due to work-related equipment investments and other unexpected expenses, I may be putting this one on the market for sale. Interested parties are welcome to contact me privately to discuss this.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What was the cost of shipping?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
What was the cost of shipping?

About $350 all things considered. Some of those considerations:

1) It's a big sword -- very long on one axis and the basket and quillons create a large "square" on the other axis
2) It was sent in a wooden crate
3) There are customs charges involved (but included in the single cost, causing no difficulty to me)
4) It was sent Air rather than on a boat (else it may have taken 6-8 weeks to get to me, if at all)
5) It arrived in less than a week

This is something to consider, along with the ~$40 bank transfer fee. Still, considering all this, the final cost of the item in question was more than reasonable and less than most makers would have charged. That is if one could find another maker willing and able to make some of the items in Mr. Bárta's portfolio. Few make items like this at his level and the options for such things are unfortunately quite limited.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is quite hefty. Was this COD or included in the initial transfer.? I'm simply asking so I can gauge my upcoming order.

It is a beautiful sword regardless.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
That is quite hefty. Was this COD or included in the initial transfer.? I'm simply asking so I can gauge my upcoming order.

Patrick included it all in the original transfer, making it an easy single payment for me. There were no extra post-delivery costs on either of my transactions with him.

He also went the extra mile of including the originating paperwork from the shipping and customs agency to validate the costs. I didn't need him to do that, but that's what he does and I appreciated it.

I'd presume your sword to be quite a bit less costly to ship due to its smaller size, especially considering that it can ship in a much, much "flatter" container. Basket-hilts require a good amount of "volume" in their packaging and end up wasting quite a bit of space.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really impressive and I will take the time later to have a look at all the bigger versions of the pics.

Well, I sort of hope you can find an alternate plan than selling it, but if you do sell it don't make it a fire sale you should at least get back all the money you put into it and frankly you should hold out for a decent profit on it. Wink

This is just to nice to give away. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

At the very least photograph it to death to document it as much as possible as it should at least be something you can continue admiring even if you no longer have it.

Just be very sure you won't regret selling it and be kicking yourself a few years from now. Sad

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Patrick included it all in the original transfer, making it an easy single payment for me. There were no extra post-delivery costs on either of my transactions with him.

He also went the extra mile of including the originating paperwork from the shipping and customs agency to validate the costs. I didn't need him to do that, but that's what he does and I appreciated it.

I'd presume your sword to be quite a bit less costly to ship due to its smaller size, especially considering that it can ship in a much, much "flatter" container. Basket-hilts require a good amount of "volume" in their packaging and end up wasting quite a bit of space.

All very true and thanks for the information. You know me, I don't like surprises. Big Grin
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love this sword, Nathan. In fact, just yesterday, I showed my wife a photo of this same sword that you posted in the Your Last Sword thread:

I look forward to hearing more about it, and seeing more pictures.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Last edited by Steve Grisetti on Mon 15 Jan, 2007 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Just be very sure you won't regret selling it and be kicking yourself a few years from now. Sad

Money has to go to other things right now and since I just got this sword, my plan is to maybe sell it before the thing really, really grows on me. The problem with my other things that I've had for so long is that I've really bonded with them due to having them for so long and I'd have such a hard time parting with them. I don't know what to do really Happy

The other issue is that this arrived at a time where a couple other swords arrived that were ordered awhile ago. They all just sort of hit at once. While it's very exciting, it not an easy thing, financially, to handle. I've had to scramble to make it work and be able to justify it all.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
I love this sword, Nathan. In fact, just yesterday, I showed my wife a photo of this same sword that you posted in an earlier thread:

Do I hear a note of buyers anticipation in there Steve? Wink I'd love to have it myself, if I wasn't tied to other things at the moment. The brass/bronze inlay on the hilt is an extremely nice touch.
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazing detail! Enjoy it, Nathan. Patrick is such an artist! Cool
M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, that is one beautiful sword! Gads... you'll killing me!

PM sent!

Big Grin

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know I was JUST looking at some historical baskethilts on Thomas M.'s site, I believe it
was, and was quite taken with some of the baskethilts with these " antlerian " quillons ... I'd
like to know how that long beastie handles, NR ...

You know, there MUST be a great feeling involved with seeing a project sword with a custom
smith come to fruition ... a really great feeling. CONGRATS !!! B-)
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a beautiful sword! Mr. Barta's swords, and the detail work in particular, never cease to astound me.

I don't know if this is a valid comparison but I just shipped a 35" long, 4" wide and 1.75 lb sword to Australia and the cost of air mail plus insurance was around $120 (final package was 48" by 4" square and 3 lbs). I THINK Australia is farther than Eastern Europe but then again, shipping costs might not work that way.
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stunning sword Nathan! I have been gaining an appreciation lately in European baskethilts and to see this right now just adds fuel to the fire! Excellent choice of subject and outstanding execution of the piece itself! Mr Barta continues to impress!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A basket-hilt by Patrick BártaProduct Review
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: