Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A word of caution for the holidays. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: A word of caution for the holidays.         Reply with quote

This year it's my turn to be out on the road during Thanksgiving. This is the time of the year with the highest traffic rate. Everyone's going somewhere important and they're in a hurry to get there. Over the years I've spent far too much time on the holidays scrapping good people up off the road and telling their family members they're dead. I've seen far too many lives destroyed and families shattered at this time of year. I'd really like to get through this year without it happening to anyone I know, or otherwise. So please folks, please, as you head out to visit family and friends take a moment to consider how they'll feel if you don't arrive. Is it really worth getting into a hurry? I don't think so. Before you put that key in the ingnition make a promise to yourself to strap everyone in and pay attention to something other than the stereo and the cell phone. Slow it down, you'll get a more harmonious outcome.
Big Grin

Have a great holiday season.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,
I could not agree more. I make a longe trip home every Christmas (used to be 900 miles not it is past 5,000) It is always very sad to me to see those accidents where you know their holiday ended so. Drive safe, plan for rest stops and if your tired get some sleep before driving and do not get in a hurry. Enjoy the holidays!

RPM
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick

While I'm not old enough to drive and therefore technically this post doesn't apply to me, it is nice to see the care that you show towards others here Happy

Drive safe guys, we don't want to see you in a horrible wreck. Every person here makes up some part of this wonderful site!

Happy Chanukkah, Christmas, ramadan, Kwanza, or whatever holiday I've not mentioned Laughing Out Loud
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always say, when someone whooshes past me at 85/90, "the red light at the off ramp will undo 90% of the time gain he gets by speeding." Next time you drive fast and hit that next red light, try and think about how many of the cars that slowly pull up behind you were ones you past in hastely folly.

"Better late than never", seems rather apt...

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2 Additional things to consider:

1. Driving fast also has consequences for our environment. The faster you go, the faster you burn gas. Not only does that cost you more money at the pump, it also means that your car has put out a little bit more CO2 and other pollutants.

2. It's hard to put on armour and wave a sword if you're paralyzed in an auto accident. We all have one thing in common here and you can't enjoy your favourite hobby if you're watching cartoons and sipping your dinner through a straw for the rest of your life.

Take it slow, folks.

And thanks for thinking of this, Patrick.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
P Ballou

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the good words, Patrick, and good luck out there on the job.

Double caution for those of us on 2 wheels. The margin of error is so much smaller, the consequences can be so much greater. Remember to wear adequate protective gear, and take a cab if any intoxicants at all have been ingested.

Phil
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Patrick!

When I have the gall to be going only 5 miles per hour OVER the speed limit and feel like I'm really getting in everyone else's way, I get in the right lane and put my emergency flashers on. Gives me a little breathing room. And I sing a little song:

Over the limit and through the reds
To Grandmother's house we go
I ain't got all day
Get out of my way
Or I'll run you off the ro-oad!...

For added fun, it's going to be raining like crazy tomorrow, here in the DC area. Yuck.

Happy and SAFE Thanksgiving, everyone!

Matthew
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My thanks to Patrick for the sage advice (now that I am the SRO at the High School, I get holidays off!!)

My thanks to Matthew for the amusing little song Happy

My wishes to all for a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Allen
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P Ballou wrote:
Thanks for the good words, Patrick, and good luck out there on the job.

Double caution for those of us on 2 wheels. The margin of error is so much smaller, the consequences can be so much greater. Remember to wear adequate protective gear, and take a cab if any intoxicants at all have been ingested.

Phil

Ehhwwww . . .two wheels on a holiday.
I am definitely driving my truck tomorrow, 30 miles to my folks' house.. I refuse to drive in any heavy traffic conditions on my bike (Kawasaki ZRX-1200), despite the enormous savings in fuel.
People at my old job pretended not to believe that I actually had a bike, simply because I refused to drive it though heavy morning traffic to work.
Don't get me wrong, I love riding. I just prefer to ride after all the other motorists are safely at home. Cagers scare me! :-)

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil,
I think the weather tomorrow will be crummy enough, even for you guys a couple of hundred miles south,
that four wheels are called for. Especially if you are a two wheel PEDDLER! Besides, L-triptophan besotted
post meal dozy drivers will be out in legion. Soaking wet and a sprung neck from having your head on a
swivel is no way to enjoy the Holiday!

Football and Turkey Forever!

Doug Gentner
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your concern and the kind words Patrick. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow nite! In truth, I'm sure your families would rather have a phone call from you saying you'll be late, as opposed to a call from a nurse saying that you're dead. While on the highways, mind your surroundings. Watch for other people who might be driving recklessly and avoid them. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to turn on the radio and listen to traffic/weather reports of where you are and where you're going. You get the idea...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Happy

Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Peddler"????

Wow! You just made me spill beer on myself! (Stella, thank you very much!) That was hilarious!

I love two wheels, but I certainly realize that 4 wheels are much safer, in most circumstances.
You must realize, I believe that I am a good (not great) 2-wheel rider. Any wise 2-wheeler is scared as heck by 4-wheelers . . . . . (aka "cagers").
I have, unfortunately, been witness to lots of 2-wheel accidents. Some bad, some not so bad . . . . .
Most of the time, it is the overconfidence/carelessness of the two-wheeler rider that is at fault, but that is not, of course, universally true . . . .

Sometimes the mighty ZRX calls for a smaller bike, like the Vulcan 500 or a Suzuki Savage 650, but who has the money for two bikes????? . . . . . .

AFAIK, I'm the only "BIg Bike" rider who wants a little bike for Christmas . . . . . (grin)

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

God bless you for being out there Patrick and thanks for the advice. Everyone please be safe and have a happy turkey day.
Jonathan.
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Nov, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My brother is a State Trooper here in Maryland and he will be out on the road for thanksgiving too. Hope you have a calm time out there Patrick, no accidents for you hopefully. Keep it safe everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

-JaMes

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 23 Nov, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick;

No accidents would be great but if you have to deal with one or more hopefully with good outcomes where you get to save some lives or help people instead of having to give bad news to relatives later.

Stay safe and watch your own back: There have been cases in Québec where a police officer got run over by someone not seeing him while he was on the road next to the accident scene.

( Yes I assume you know what you are doing ! I'm just being a worrier and I mean well. Wink )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 23 Nov, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Patrick.

In Italy it is a real war

Car crash death is the primary cause of death for people onder the age of 25.

The motorway I use to go to work has seen many of such crashes, mainly young disco maniacs diving drunken or under pills.

It is not uncommon even to see people outdoing rows of cars in the proximity of bends, with no visibility.

Certain people look like crazy possessed by an evil desire to get a swift ticket to Heaven.

Police? Uh, they make sad statements about how few funds they get, so they canno't leave their desks to avoid the loss of the meager money the state doles them out.

It seems that east Europe is even worst.

Well, this doesn't change our sad state of things.

If any of you would l ever come driving here please be assured that you have some couple of extra eyes implanted behind your head, and use them well.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A word of caution for the holidays.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic