Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I need help with a Windlass sword . Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: I need help with a Windlass sword .         Reply with quote

Idea

Does anyone knows any page that contains a cutting test results or strenght of the Sword of Novara of Windlass ? , or information like point of balance and Center of Percussion ?, and if this sword can be sharpened ?, because am gonna buy it .( well i think so ) and i wish to know it before I buy it -

if you know this sword .. please help me .
Allen W

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any Windless blade can be sharpened.
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: .............................................         Reply with quote

Well here's my 2 cents. First off it is a nice looking sword and I have considered picking one up, but here's the down side. The sword is heavy. Not unrealistically heavy, but way on the high side for what a sword of that type should way. About 5lb if memory serves me. The sword is balanced tip heavy, so there's a great amount of blade presence. I've also noticed, as with almost every windlass sword I've held, that the heat treatment will be hit or miss at best. Either they get it very right or very wrong. Distill taper is right out the window too. On a good note their finish work has gotten alot more consistent. All in al I think if your going to hang her on the wall and take her down from time to time for some light cutting everything will be fine.
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: .         Reply with quote

Hey Mike , could you give me again your 2 cents but now for the #SH2250N Bastard Sword (Antiqued) , believe me your comments really help me ..
“I came, I saw, God conquered"
Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i know this dosn't help but i've never had a good expirience with windless, ive handeld several peaces all of which has sevire flaws.
we spared with a basket hilt against a lightwaight deltin that balanced extremly close to the hilt. the basket hilt snaped at the tang and the blade flew out of the grip, out the gate and into the streats of New York hiting pavment between a parked car and my budies motercicle some ten feet away. (we have footage its quite funny)
suposedly their quality is improving but i have no faith in them
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: windlass         Reply with quote

I know this isn't what you're asking for but....

I personally believe that windlass is a great company for the price. sure, they are no Albion or A & A but they function well in their own price category. In fact, Gen2 and windlass are probably the best made, most reliable swords you can get for $100 - $300. you might want to check out this site (not sure how to post a link, it might go automatically)

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/index.html

great site for some hands-on reviews from gen2 and windlass. this is the site that led me to buy my new shrewsbury, and I coulnd't be happier with it. unfortunately, the german Bastard sword and the sword of navarro are not reviewed here, but there are some pretty good reviews on windlass as a whole.

hope I've helped a bit, both swords you've mentioned are beauties to say the least Happy
Michal Grosenbach

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Julian,

If you do request it to be sharpened by MRL, it will only be an edge sharpening, as a knife edge would be. This kinda bugs me! But otherwise, I've seen this sword before and the lines appeared to be relatively crisp (for a Windlass).

Hope that helps,
Mike
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have posted my review of the Windlass I own here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/tsafa1/swordreview.htm

You may want to read it before you buy. Especialy if you plan to actualy use it.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Jim Venable

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is my opinion, and my first post, by the way. I've been collecting swords for 17 years, and for 15 of those years dismissed Windlass products as trash. Now I consider it hit or miss. I have 5 Windlass pieces in my collection. The first was purchased about 15 years ago. The quality was so poor that I refused to even consider buying another until 2 years ago. Around that time I stopped by Museum Replicas' showroom and made 2 discoveries: 1) their quality had, in general, improved, and 2) their bargain bins with merchandise priced as much as 50% off. Plus they give another 10% off for buying directly from the showroom. Since then I have bought my other 4 Windlass pieces (Windlass owns Museum Replicas/Atlanta cutlery). Two of these pieces were in the bargain bins simply due to dents in the scabbard furniture. Another had a loose guard plate (a Roman gladius), that I fixed myself with no trouble. I have yet to figure out why the fourth piece was discounted, as I haven't been able to find anything wrong with it. The materials and workmanship of these 4 pieces seemed to be of decent quality, especially for a 60% discount. On the flip side, I have seen outright trash offered in the bins as well. One sword blade had a crescent of steel chipped out of the edge. I've seen other pieces with loose and/or bent hilts and guards, other damaged blades, and torn grip wrappings. Because of the wide variation in quality, I will only buy one that I can examine before purchase. Living 45 minutes away makes this relatively easy. I'm actually going there this weekend with a friend to give him what advice I may on his first sword purchase.
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found the reviews of the sword use on tire-pells to be very interesting, thanks.
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: thanks.....         Reply with quote

Hi Allen , could you give me the website that you found the reviews of the sword use on tire-pells ??
“I came, I saw, God conquered"

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I need help with a Windlass sword .
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic