Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Jody Samson swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
T Gilreath

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Jody Samson swords         Reply with quote

I've seen the few reviews myArmoury has on Jody Samson swords, but does anyone who owns the Seaward Sword have any feedback on it's functionality? I love Jody's designs and am considering purchasing one or more of his sword in the near future. How does their functionality compare to that of historical swords? I would think most of them would be too heavy for quicker strikes, but that is also a function of the distribution of the weight, not just the weight itself. Correct? Does anyone have any information on his swords, beyond what has already been reviewed?

Thanks in advance!

Tom
T Gilreath

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*bump*
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you seen this thread?

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59989
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe that there is currently one of these in the classifieds over at SFI as well. I did not chime in before, since I assume that you have already read the reviews that I wrote on the swords I have seen. However, just to reiterate although some of the Samson swords I have handled are what I would consider reasonably functional that is not really Mr. Samson's main focus in my opinion. Rather to him the sword is a vehicle by which he can share his art with the rest of the world.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't own any of Jody's swords, but I have owned a few of the balisong he's made over the years.

A lot of people just recognize Jody for his work on films, however he is likely one of the most influential and unsung folks in the knife industry, having literally developed the modern balisong with Les at Benchmade.

I have never had a better ground or balanced knife, than one by Jody.

When Jody does function, no one does it better...
T Gilreath

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the information guys. I checked out the thread you pointed me to at the sword forum. That's about what I thought regarding the functionality. Jody is a master artisan, there's no doubt about that, but I guess when it comes to swords for function, you don't need to look much further than Angus Trim, eh?

Thanks, again.

Tom
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T Gilreath wrote:
Jody is a master artisan, there's no doubt about that, but I guess when it comes to swords for function, you don't need to look much further than Angus Trim, eh?

Actually, I heavily advise looking farther than Angus...
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Rather to him the sword is a vehicle by which he can share his art with the rest of the world.

You know, that's a really good way of putting it, Russ. I think that's spot on.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

You know, that's a really good way of putting it, Russ. I think that's spot on.

Blush <blush> Thanks Bill!

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
T Gilreath wrote:
Jody is a master artisan, there's no doubt about that, but I guess when it comes to swords for function, you don't need to look much further than Angus Trim, eh?

Actually, I heavily advise looking farther than Angus...

Agreed. I've heard superb things about the functionality of Atrims and even own one as a "beater". However, there are other artisans/craftsmen out there who's artistry and functionality are reported to be superb. The one whose work I have seen most is John Lundemo over at Odinblades.com. The many photos I've studied attest to his artistry and I've only heard good things about the functionality from people who either own or have handled "Odins". I will be joining that group sometime in the next few weeks. Big Grin
T Gilreath

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had never heard of Odinblades. Not sure how I missed 'em, though. Thanks for that info. I will definitely check them out. I really appreciate all of the information and opinions offerred. Much obliged.
T Gilreath

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I took a look at Odinblades.com. Impressive! However, I'm not sure you can really compare Atrims with Odins. Atrims are more much utilitarian and spartan in design and finish than Odins. Those swords at Odinblades are very, very nice swords. I get the feeling I would be truly upset if I put a nick or a ding in one of them!
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Getting back to the original question: I've handled one of Jodys Seaward swords, as well as many other examples of his work. I would say that none of those I've handled sacrificed functionality for artistic expression to any great degree. I do think Russ' comment is spot-on regarding Jodys philosophy. On the other hand, I've handled probably in excess of 40 examples of his work and I've yet to see one that couldn't be used as a sword is intended to be. Jody is very inventive in his use of hollow grinding as a way to provide blade geometry and mass distribution. Some of his design aspects run contrary to commonly held views on sword design yet they still work quite well. If I had enough disposable income I'd own several examples of his work.
T Gilreath

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I appreciate the comments, Patrick. Glad you've had a chance to handle quite a few of Samson's work and were able to make observations based on first hand experience. That cleared up much for me.

As for the disposable income, well, I'm just gonna have to save up a bit to get one!

Thanks, again!
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check the website on a regular basis. Every few months they hold a sale. Usually you can save yourself a couple of hundred dollars if you're willing to be patient and wait for a sale. The downside is the piece your eyeing might get sold to someone who's less patient than you.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Jody Samson swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic