Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Various Paul Chen & MRL Basket HiltsRemoved Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: For Sale: Various Paul Chen & MRL Basket Hilts         Reply with quote

This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

Early in my collectiong, I picked up several swords that no longer fit into the scope of my collection. All are in printine shape, never played with.

1. MRL Ribbon Hilt. This model is made by Windlass and was only offered for a short time ( one catalog back 8-10 years ago, I think along with a beak-nose ribbon hilt. Never seen again!) . It is a broadsword with a nickle plated ribbon-bar basket. $ 300.00 w/scabbard and shipping CONUS

2. MRL Brass Bsket Hilt. This is a "Glasgow" hilt with a broadsword blade. This is the model still in production. $ 215 w/ scabbard and shipping in CONUS

3. Paul Chen "Sterling Hilt". Actually this is a nice sword. Somewhat lighter than the other. I believe this to also be out of production but illustrations are still available in the internet. $ 225 w/ scabbard and shipping CONUS

4. Paul Chen "Basket Hilt Blade". I used the hilt for another project recently and have no immediate use for the blade. It is the "Andrea Ferara" blade currently illustrated. It has a threaded tang and comes complete with scabbard. It would make a nice project blade. $ 125.00 w/ scabbard and shipping CONUS

I will take PayPal but the 3% uplift is on you. The sword(s) will be shipping insured, etc. Absolutely nothing wrong with these swords. They just represent an early stage in the collection and need to be moved on to someone who will appreciate them.

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to see photos of the ribbon hilt.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Terry Crain

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: MRL Ribbon-hilted Baskethilt Sword         Reply with quote

Hello,

I am wondering if the MRL beaknose ribbonhilt sword is the one that appeared in MRL catalog #27. The Blade appeared to have four fullers and was inscribed "Andrea Ferara". It is described as a double-egded broadsword with a CK 55 Krupp steel blade (which leads me to believe they used a Del Tin Blade). In the picture, the baskethilt looks like nickel plating.

However, in catalog #28, sword had the same stats (wieght, length and order number) but was a differant picture showing a very similar but not identical sword. Specifically, the basket, although appearing almost identical, doesn't look plated and the blade now shown has only two fullers and no inscription. Interestingly, it is still represented as a double-egded broadsword with a CK 55 Krupp steel blade. So it may possibly be another del tin blade.

After, catalog #28, I don't see it anymore, so I think this is the sword you are decribing, I just would like to know which version you have for sale.

A picture is worth a thousand words I suppose. But words are good if pictures are not available. Thanks!!!

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Ribbon Hilt is not the beak-nose version, just the plain ribbon hilt. I had originally intended to purchase the beak-nose as well but they sold out before I had the money. The Ribbon Hilt I have is not inscribed "Andrea Ferara". It has one broad central fuller and two smaller ones, one on each side. As I said, the basket is nickle plated. The grip is leather with a central raised band in the center. The Chen blade is inscribed " XX Andrea FeraraXX and probably could be subsititued. The Chen blade is far more supple and about 1/3 lighter.

I will try to get some pictures but my wife is the only one who knows how to operate the camara and she's not a big fan of the hobby of blade collecting. I'll try and cajole her into helping out and see if I can't get some pictures on tomorrow.

Also, if anyone has some nice items such as dirks, etc they would like to offer for trade, I'm always on the lookout for some nice handforged Scottish blades.

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am looking for a backsword blade, if any of these swords has one let me know, I may be interested.
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, all of the blades are broadsword types with various fullers.

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Various Paul Chen & MRL Basket HiltsRemoved
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic