Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How to attach straps on a shield Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Anders Kramer

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: How to attach straps on a shield         Reply with quote

Hi,

I have startet on making a Heatershield, but i've run into a problem. How do i attach the straps on the shield?
I could bolt them on, but it looks like sh... well, you know what i mean. does anyone know how they did it back "then"?

Regards
Anders
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: How to attach straps on a shield         Reply with quote

Anders Kramer wrote:
Hi,

I have startet on making a Heatershield, but i've run into a problem. How do i attach the straps on the shield?
I could bolt them on, but it looks like sh... well, you know what i mean. does anyone know how they did it back "then"?

Regards
Anders

This probably wont be any help to you, but on Indo-Persian sipars and dhals steel rings are bolted to the inner surface of the shield and the straps are attached to the rings. The other side of the bolt is covered by a metal boss.

Here are some examples:
http://www.oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=1515
http://www.oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=502
http://www.oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=396
http://www.oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=1465
Anders Kramer

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks, but i don't think that's quite what i'm looking for, but thanks! Happy
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The inside layer of hide/parchment can be slit four times creating two "straps" than can be pulled out. Use cord to bind these together to form a handgrip. The advantage of this is that there are four anchor points rather than the normal two.
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Shield Straps         Reply with quote

Hi Anders..........well......."back then".......straps were usually riveted on using rivets similar to the ones used in making harness (armour) The shields were not too thick and heavy as they used special woods like Limewood. The limewood was fairly light and could 'grab' a sword on the edge when struck often giving the user a couple of precious seconds advantage. Limewood is also very springy and will absorb much of the energy of the blow which otherwise will transfer through the arm to the body. Limewood, or Basswood, is fairly expensive. I'd love to make a heater with this wood eventually though. The smaller rivet heads are visable on the outside of the shield and you can see the holes on photos of the originals, of which there are not many. Usually the rivet-heads were peaned on the inside over washers which were placed over the leather straps. The washers were often made, again like the harness, of square section with the corners clipped off rather than the usual round ones. Usually there were two straps one up near the elbow and one for the hand near the wrist which could be gripped or sometimes the hand could slide through to grasp horse-reins, etc. Its seems that it was the strap near the elbow which was secured more tightly often having a buckle. The placement of the straps in relation to the shield position seems to be a matter of choice of the individual as some were comparatively horizontal and others were quite diagonal whatever was comfortable and suited the style of the indivual. ( In the Bayeaux Tap. some straps appear even vertically mounted ! ) Additionally, there was usually a longer strap so that the combatant could be free to throw the shield over the shoulder and fight with two hands or ride with two hands, etc. People back then faced the same problems that we do today, ie they didnt want their good shield which had been gessoed and gilded or silvered to be all bashed up in combat or sparing. Some were real works of art, so they had a fighting shield too (several) unless they were a poor knight or footsoldier who wouldnt have had a nice arty shield in the first place. This is how 'Parade shields' developed.
I cant find my illustrations of the strapping at the moment and I have to go to training...when I get back I'll have a good look for you......Hope this has been of some help........Cheers.

Attachment: 51.68 KB
from Seedorf, a monastery found in 1197 on the Vierwaldstatter see.jpg

Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The method of making a strap I outlined seems to have been common in Germany and is described in some detail in Jan Kohlmorgen's Der Mittelalterliche Reiterschild, (Karfunkel: 2002). 105.
Anders Kramer

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a LOT Merv! That is really a lot of help, i am looking forvard to compleeting my shield with this new knowledge.
And if you could find that illustration, i would be even gladder, but don't hurt yourself trying Wink .

Regards
Anders
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The long strap, or guige, is very handy for slogging your shield around. It is posible to improvise one by slipping a belt trough the hand straps, but riveting one in place is preferable.

On the my latest shield the guige is tied together instead of beeing fited with a buckle; This means that you can adjust the length of the guige freely, from quite tight for extended carrying, to loose for fighting...

Riveting is definitely preferable for the straps. I'm a slob at doing this, wich means that the above mentioned shield hasn't been used a lot because the straps keep coming of... Sad

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When you rivet leather directly to something though, doesn't the leather just tear?
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might need a washer. In my experience, tearing thick leather is not something you need to worry about. The bigest problem is wear and tear gradually expanding the holes.

Of course, you could just get solid nails, and bend them on the back, but it's not as pretty or solid as rivets...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
When you rivet leather directly to something though, doesn't the leather just tear?

If, as Elling said, you use thick leather, and if, as I do, you pad the attachment with another piece of the same leather (a leather washer if you like) so that the rivet or clenched nail or whatever bears on the other piece rather than the strap itself, no, the leather doesn't tear (well, not yet, anyway).
Geoff

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How to attach straps on a shield
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic