Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Next Generation hilt fittings? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Next Generation hilt fittings?         Reply with quote

To the good folks at Albion:

I apologize if this question's already been answered, but I didn't see it in the other threads. Are all the hilt fittings for the Next Generation line going to be steel? I'm particularly interested in the Langraf, and if it's got steel parts, you'll be getting a call from me first thing once you guys reopen for the holidays!
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Next Generation hilt fittings?         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
To the good folks at Albion:

I apologize if this question's already been answered, but I didn't see it in the other threads. Are all the hilt fittings for the Next Generation line going to be steel? I'm particularly interested in the Langraf, and if it's got steel parts, you'll be getting a call from me first thing once you guys reopen for the holidays!

Hi Bill,

The fittings for the Landgraf are in steel, so I guess we'll be hearing from you. Also, there will be some pommels that will be cast in bronze (The Prince I believe is one of them), but the majority will be steel. I think that there is talk in one of the threads about the bronze pommels (info from Peter, so do a search by author to find it), but I'm not sure which it is.

Jason Dingledine
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jan, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sounds great! The Langraf it is for me!

I'm glad you guys are talking about bronze pommels for some. That's a feature on so many originals that is very underrepresented in the current sword market (as are so many of the things you guys are doing).
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but I couldn't find another more apt one, or one that answers my question.

My question is, what are Albion 'steel' hilt fittings made of exactly? I have noted that chemical blueing, whilst it turns the peened tang end and blade blue, does not turn the pommels or guards blue - does anyone know why? Are they a funky alloy?

Cheers,
Matt

Schola Gladiatoria - www.swordfightinglondon.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
Antique Swords: www.antique-swords.co.uk/
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If trying to chemical blue these yourself, make sure you use a powerful engine degreaser. In my experience, it takes very little oil to prevent bluing, and the guard and pommel are probably protected in a different way/degree compared to the peen, which might not be protected at all after filing and final finishing since that's one of the last metal assembly steps.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Easton wrote:
Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but I couldn't find another more apt one, or one that answers my question.

My question is, what are Albion 'steel' hilt fittings made of exactly? I have noted that chemical blueing, whilst it turns the peened tang end and blade blue, does not turn the pommels or guards blue - does anyone know why? Are they a funky alloy?

Cheers,
Matt
According to Albion's website, they are investment cast in mild steel.

As far as I understand it, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but the higher the carbon content the darker a steel will get with oxidation, bluing, or etching. This is the reason iron etches lighter than steel. Mild steel should be no different. Given the same amount of oxidation it will darken less than a steel of higher carbon content.

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sean,
This is a sword I have owned for a few years, so it's highly unlikely that any surface oil is different on the pommel compared to the peened tang end. It seems to me that whatever type of steel that Albion use for their hilt fittings just doesn't react to chemical blueing like carbon steel does. The peened tang went a lovely blue colour. Happy

Matt Easton

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Robin, I know it is supposedly mild steel, but I'm wondering if they've mixed a little of another metal in there, to aid the casting process?
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Easton wrote:
Hi Robin, I know it is supposedly mild steel, but I'm wondering if they've mixed a little of another metal in there, to aid the casting process?

"Mild Steel" is a pretty broad term, and often companies Mild Steels will have a big variance in what alloying elements are allowed. If I understand correctly, Mild Steel is allowed to have more variance than an AISI standard steel like 1018.

I could be off. Most of my steel knowledge comes by way of welding school. I'm sure a bladesmith could come in and explain it better than I can.

Matt Easton

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jul, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's odd. I tried the gun blue gel on various bits of mild steel I have, including manufactured things like a buckler, and they all went blue. But not the Albion hilt fittings. Confused
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jul, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Easton wrote:
It's odd. I tried the gun blue gel on various bits of mild steel I have, including manufactured things like a buckler, and they all went blue. But not the Albion hilt fittings. Confused

Like I said, Mild Steel is a pretty broad term for just about any steel with a low enough carbon content. You can have big range and variation in what alloying elements are present in Mild and its all still considered "Mild Steel".

Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jul, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a shame the fittings aren't dismount able (in this instance). I have had very good luck blueing hilt furniture by putting on a layer of boiled linseed oil and baking at 500F. A couple of cycles will get a nice tortus shell effect, and five or so coats gives you a very deep black. I got the idea after seasoning some cast iron. Since its the oil that darkens, it shouldn't rely on a type of metal.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Eric Meulemans
Industry Professional

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jul, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You don't mention which model you are working with. The Maestro, Skirmish, and earlier Squire Line swords use stainless parts, which would explain your issues.
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two swords, both Next Gen...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Next Generation hilt fittings?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic