Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is this kind of burner commercially available? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jaromir Kovar

PostPosted: Sun 02 Feb, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Is this kind of burner commercially available?         Reply with quote

Hello, after reading the guides I couldn't find a forum where to post within those I have access into.
So, here goes.
I am not interested in someone trying to sell me this. Just want to know how to search for this item (which name) if it indeed is commercially available.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So basically, the bottom part moves up and down and the bell on top is the gas fed torch. It's so much better for the heat containment and localization than a torch.

I guess there is some sort of refractory cement making up the walls of the upper bell. This one looks home made but, to your knowledge, is there a commercial version of this device?

Recently, I was advised that this type of mini forge was known as a Clam-shell forge but I cannot find anything using this name. Someone knows about the current one?

Thank you very much!

Attachment: 606.44 KB
The burner in question [ Download ]
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sun 02 Feb, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi J
Welcome,
Thank you for the picture, excellent,
not seen a sell through of this,
where or whos is this ?
seen similar principle on a bigger scale, industrial etc, may have been ceramics industry,
wouldn't a clam shell be a hinged piece ?
this one looks localised heat, still wouldn't be as efficient as an enclosed forge, but would give huge freedom on bigger stuff or unusual shapes etc, so a great addition to a work shop,
the old 5" rule seems to still apply
M. Adair Orr

PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most of the armour-making community refer to this style of forge as the "Eric Thing" forge. If Eric didn't pioneer it, he was certainly the first to post a blog about his forge: https://www.anvilfire.com/21st-century-blacksmithing/plans/armour-forge/

Many of us have since followed his lead, adapting the idea as needed. Replaceable burner heads/combustion chambers and an adjustable jaw are the key elements.

I believe there are many venturi burners on the market. The T-Rex burner is one that was popular for years. Ron Reil has a web page describing how to build simple venturi burners with little more than a drill press. I've used his plans on multiple forge projects with great success: https://ronreil.abana.org/sitemap.html

-Adair
Jaromir Kovar

PostPosted: Wed 12 Feb, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Hi J
Welcome,
Thank you for the picture, excellent,
not seen a sell through of this,
where or whos is this ?
seen similar principle on a bigger scale, industrial etc, may have been ceramics industry,
wouldn't a clam shell be a hinged piece ?
this one looks localised heat, still wouldn't be as efficient as an enclosed forge, but would give huge freedom on bigger stuff or unusual shapes etc, so a great addition to a work shop,
the old 5" rule seems to still apply

Hello Lee,
thank you very much for your answer.
I also think, just from looking at it, this would be great for localizing heat. And considering working in small segments like when you raise a helmet for example would be an ideal use for such a forge.
Also the beginning of such a project is usually flat and later on bowl shaped. Again this would be great for these shapes.
I was also bit confused when I was told about this being referred to as "clam shell". But I guess it's because it closes around the piece.
The photo is taken from a youtube video of certain czech armourer, one of the best maybe, and from the resolution you can tell that it's only a very small crop of much larger still. But I haven't asked him if I can take the screenshot even though it's so small and the source on public domain.
I would draw a picture for my question but this was just much more straightforward.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is this kind of burner commercially available?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic