Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Clicking grip- what type of adhesive to fix? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Arwas

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Clicking grip- what type of adhesive to fix?         Reply with quote

I've heard some people have had success fixing a clicking grip by fixing the sword in place point-up and pouring thread locker adhesive down the fuller. I'm assuming that it runs between the broken peices of epoxy and locks them in place. But when I search "loctite adhesive" I see a whole bunch of different types and I'm only going to get one shot at this.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps loctite threadlocker? It comes in red and blue varieties iirc. One is stronger than the other. It is not permanent, not like loctite epoxy, so it might be worth a try. It's quite runny, so after letting it fill the gaps, you might want to lay the sword horizontal, then flip it after a minute or two.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Sam Arwas

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
Perhaps loctite threadlocker? It comes in red and blue varieties iirc. One is stronger than the other. It is not permanent, not like loctite epoxy, so it might be worth a try. It's quite runny, so after letting it fill the gaps, you might want to lay the sword horizontal, then flip it after a minute or two.
But wouldn't that cause gravity to make it run back out of the fuller?
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be more specific and explain which sword exactly you are having an issue with.

I use a lot of runny superglue and it sets quite quickly, removing a lot of wiggles.

Some swords can be easily fixed with no glue solutions but again, you have not mentioned what sword is to be addressed.
Sam Arwas

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Be more specific and explain which sword exactly you are having an issue with.

I use a lot of runny superglue and it sets quite quickly, removing a lot of wiggles.

Some swords can be easily fixed with no glue solutions but again, you have not mentioned what sword is to be addressed.
it's an Albion Knight. I've tried shaking it laterally like manufacturer suggested but no luck. They offered to fix it if I can't but I'd rather avoid shipping it across the world if I can.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Arwas wrote:
Ian Hutchison wrote:
But wouldn't that cause gravity to make it run back out of the fuller?

Ah, I misunderstood where you were applying it.

In that case, yes, just keep it in an upright position.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, glue is the easiest. William's reply elsewhere speaks of his adventures and in other threads here. Alternately, there is jamming splints up the fuller but that can be unsightly.

I love superglue and actually prefer the runny stuff unless building up a large crater or something. Fingernail polish remover softens the gule for removal of spills. Just try small amounts first. I would suggest it is the grip core and cross interplay and both just shy of tight. Theoretically on an Albion, the cross should have been pounded on tight and should not be moving. I fear that is rarely the case and the nature of the two piece grip always allows some clearances. Even minute motion of the two can create the clicking, or tinking noises.

Worst case, rebuild it by removing the grip, "staking" the guard if a loose fit to the blade or horrors, add shims or weld/braze/solder buildup to make the hole smaller.

Or, glue to suit Happy

Cheers
GC
Sam Arwas

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Yes, glue is the easiest. William's reply elsewhere speaks of his adventures and in other threads here. Alternately, there is jamming splints up the fuller but that can be unsightly.

I love superglue and actually prefer the runny stuff unless building up a large crater or something. Fingernail polish remover softens the gule for removal of spills. Just try small amounts first. I would suggest it is the grip core and cross interplay and both just shy of tight. Theoretically on an Albion, the cross should have been pounded on tight and should not be moving. I fear that is rarely the case and the nature of the two piece grip always allows some clearances. Even minute motion of the two can create the clicking, or tinking noises.

Worst case, rebuild it by removing the grip, "staking" the guard if a loose fit to the blade or horrors, add shims or weld/braze/solder buildup to make the hole smaller.

Or, glue to suit Happy

Cheers
GC
I sent a video recording of it to Albion and they believe it's just a broken chunk of epoxy shifting around inside the grip. It didn't ship with this noise, it started after some light test cutting.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Clicking grip- what type of adhesive to fix?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic