Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: 18th-century smallsword and 19th-century basket hilt saberRemoved Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Dayton

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: 18th-century smallsword and 19th-century basket hilt saber         Reply with quote

This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

Selling a late 18th-century English or French smallsword and a mid-19th-century saber with an iron basket or shlaeger hilt.

The smallsword is the second from the top in the attached image. Brass hilt with traces of gilding and faceted decoration. Instead of the typical triangular section blade, it is constructed from an earlier (probably 17th-century) diamond section rapier blade cut down to smallsword dimensions. Short fuller marked IN SOLINGEN. Blade has a deliberate slight bend from left to right and slightly heavier wear on left side of the grip, perhaps indicating ownership by a left-handed duellist (i.e., the blade cant would allow fractional advantage in reaching around an opponent's parry). I have not seen very many smallswords of this age with remounted older rapier blades.

Overall length 35.5" or 90 cm.
Blade length 29.5" or 75 cm.
Point of balance is about 4" or 10 cm from the hilt.

$925 US or offers. Shipping in the Continental US is included.

The saber is fourth from the top in the attached image. Mensur/shlaeger style hilt of iron bars forming a basket around the hand. Blade is very similar to a US Civil War era light cavalry saber, with comparable fuller and distal taper (e.g., like the Ames 1863 in the photo -- not for sale), though the heavy hilt causes the point of balance to be closer to your hand than with an Ames or similar. GARANTIA (proved) and unidentified maker's mark on blade, along with several etched trophies of arms. Ribbed shagreen grip. Leather guard liner and leather finger loop. Probably Latin American, but the mensur hilt and finger loop are very typical of mid-19th-century German examples. Good research potential. Perhaps from Maximilian I era in Mexico? Or the German presence in Bolivia, Peru, Argentina, etc.? Interesting but my collection is going in different directions so I need to make room.

Overall length 40.5" or 103 cm.
Blade length 34.25" or 87 cm.
Point of balance is about 3" or 8 cm from the hilt.

$525 US or offers. Shipping in the Continental US is included.

$1,200 US or offer for both, shipped together and securely separated by bubble wrap, spacers, etc. Not interested in trades, thank you.

Please get in touch with questions. Thanks for looking.

Attachment: 198.9 KB
[ Download ]
Chris Dayton

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

Saber price reduced to $450 US.

Smallsword no longer available.

Thanks.

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: 18th-century smallsword and 19th-century basket hilt saberRemoved
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic