Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword acquisition during the 17th Century. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Martin Buckley

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Sword acquisition during the 17th Century.         Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I’ve a question that’s been niggling at me for a while now. With particular reference to 17th century Europe (but I’d also be interested generally), where did people get swords? Were they commissioned as one off pieces, kind of like a custom project today or were they bought ‘off the peg’ so to speak in shops through vendors in towns and cities? I’m thinking there’d be a mix of both, as well as many other alternatives. Also did this differ in different Regions or different parts of the world? Any information, pictures, links to other sources would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All of those. Most people would have bought their swords from cutlers. Military quartermasters sometimes sold swords to soldiers who didn't have any or had lost theirs, and some of the civilian sutlers who flocked to an encamped army would have had swords among their wares. Town and fortress armouries would have kept significant numbers of swords as well. On ships, swords and/or cutlasses appear to have been mostly held in the ship's armoury; only the officers regularly carried swords on duty. And of course there were craftsmen who produced custom swords for wealthier clients.
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At the far end of the 17th century, at least in Sweden we saw the first mass produced standardized weapons from government controlled manufacturing facilities. I think the first designated sword was called m/1685

So conscripted swedish soldiers could be issued swords in hte end of the 17th century, in addition to the already mentioned ways.

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Martin Buckley

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys. The sword cutlers and armouries that produced one off pieces for more wealthy clients really interests me. Do you have or know where I could find more information about these please? Or maybe some contemporary images of ‘sword shops’ (if you like)?

Thanks again
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haven't you checked the features section? This article has been around for years.

http://myArmoury.com/feature_engswords.html
Dashiell Harrison

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

German towns often had a town armory, some had neighborhood armories as well. Poorer residents who were still expected to provide military service in case of emergencies could borrow weapons from the armory for the duration of the emergency, but they had to give them back once they no longer needed them.
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: sword acquisition         Reply with quote

I think this is an interesting subject as a collector of mostly 17th century swords but one I do not have an answer to. I have found few literary or other references to help.

Blades were mostly imported and a cutler/armourer would add the hilt but to what extent they were bespoke to the customer is hard to say. I suppose one point is that I have very rarely seen decorative features on hilts that contain initials, crests, mottos etc which would suggest personal commission. You see inscriptions on blades but that can be added later. For instance I have a 17th century Italian rapier with an inscription referring to Milton which may have been added by an English parliamentarian owner during the Commonwealth period (possibly),

I haven't seen much in the pieces I have handled or owned to suggest personalisation but that is not to say they did not ask for a sword of X length with Y type of hilt decoration and Z weight so it was a choice amongst certain pre-defined parameters of style and cost.

One exception is an English dish-hilt rapier I saw once which had a pineapple theme. Pineapple pommel, pineapple dish, pineapple themed grip, which I can only think was a personal request. Either he loved pineapples or he made his fortune importing pineapples or maybe he thought it was a good tactic as any opponent would think he cant be a serious swordsman - he's got a pineapple sword.
Martin Buckley

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I’ve recently come across this image, apparently it’s a work from the early 19th century (I’m not sure if the artists name). How historically accurate is it? The two chaps buying/testing the swords look fairly well dressed, I had in my mind the artisans selling such high quality products would have better shops or means of vending.

Attachment: 199.87 KB
[ Download ]
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Thoughts         Reply with quote

Not an original period painting as you say. However wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case. I think for the most part the idea of the posh and well turned out shop was a later 18th century creation. So for these chaps in their 17th century gear, it would not surprise me that the armouer’s premises would be a functional workshop with an area at the front for sales in this style. A lot of businesses then would have been both factory and retailer so maybe more down to earth than you might expect ? But cannot say for sure. I think though that the wealthiest clients might have had the tradesmen come to their house rather than visiting the tradesman’s premises.

I like the way he’s flexing the blade against the floor. I visited a friend recently who has the finest antique rapier collection I have seen and he was leaning a bit (he’s getting on a bit in age) and flexing a beautiful 16th century rapier against the floor like a walking stick as we were chatting and I was thinking ‘please stop’ thinking it would snap.Of course it didn’t. That picture just reminded me of that moment.
Richard Miller

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would think that both the general availability and the manner of how one got a sword would vary a great deal in the many towns, cities and city states, A lot of places (Milan & Florence for example) had outright bans on swords for the general public. People in the 17th century were not unlike people (and politicos) today, and set up strict ordinances regarding carrying weapons.( It didn't work back then, either.)
The article referred is a good read and informative.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword acquisition during the 17th Century.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic