Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Shields Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks really good Andrew. Congratulations on an awesome shield. Did you do all of the carving on the leather parts?
Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad to see this thread up and going again. Some really great work here, and some of it very ingenious. Can't remember who posted it, but the shield-press made from boards and ratchet straps is great! Makes me want to get in the shop and tinker around a bit. Right now, the only shield I have is a wallhanger my wife bought me as a gift. That MAY have to change!...McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Paul O'Briant

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice Andrew! The painting is what catches my eye the most. The rest of the shield is fantastic but the paint.. wow!
Andrew Pribor

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
That looks really good Andrew. Congratulations on an awesome shield. Did you do all of the carving on the leather parts?

Thanks Scott, Yes I carved and tooled all of the designs.

Cheers,

Andrew

"The Bow brings grief and sorrow to the foeman; armed with Bow may we sudue all regions."
Andrew Pribor

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul O'Briant wrote:
Very nice Andrew! The painting is what catches my eye the most. The rest of the shield is fantastic but the paint.. wow!

Thanks Paul, Though I did not use any paint. This was all done using leather dye. A very long and tedious process but the final results are worth it.
Andrew

"The Bow brings grief and sorrow to the foeman; armed with Bow may we sudue all regions."
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew Pribor wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

Thanks Scott, Yes I carved and tooled all of the designs.

Cheers,

Andrew

That is truly impressive Andrew.

I have two questions.
How much does the shield weigh?
How long did it take to do all of the work on this?

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Andrew Pribor

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Scott Kowalski"][quote="Andrew Pribor"]
Scott Kowalski wrote:

I have two questions.
How much does the shield weigh?
How long did it take to do all of the work on this?

The shield weighs in at 4.5lbs.

Hard to say how many hours were put into this project. I completed the carving/tooling earlier in the year and never got back to it due to summer projects,work,etc. I estimate around 40 + hours.

Thanks for the interest and compliments,

Andrew

R. Charboneau

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heater shield WIP. I took the plans from ye old gaffers and made some modifications. The shield itself is made of 3 layers of 1/8" poplar glued then covered in layers of linen. Gesso then acrylic over that, polyacrylic clear, then 1shot lettering enamel over that.
Strapping will be an x pattern up for the hand and a thick strap with buckle for the forearm. Still debating whether to add a guige or not.
Ill post more pics when it is complete

Attachment: 212.97 KB
[ Download ]
Todd Feinman

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Tutankhamun shield         Reply with quote

An attempt to reproduce one of the shields deposited with Tut. African mahogany, ash, rawhide, gold, casein, linen, fake cheetah hide, leather and shellac. The cartouche plaque was made using a 3D printed mold. While the originals are supposed to have the cartouches plaques made of "gesso", I have indeed made some modifications to try and approximate what a practical military shield might have been like:

http://imgur.com/DSZuRjO

http://imgur.com/PsPu9Iu

http://imgur.com/npImBHS

Todd
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My reconstruction of the 6th century shield from Grave 21/868, Tranmer House cemetery at Sutton Hoo, based on details published in the site report and a British Museum technical report on the construction.

The board is ash, as was the original, glued together with cheese glue made according to the recipe given in Theophilus. Ash is not a common wood for shields but 6 of the 7 shields from this cemetery (where species has been identified) were ash, with the other being oak, which is even more unusual.
This may be an indication that the shields were made for burial, not for combat. The planks are 8mm at the boss, thinning to 5mm at the rim.
In the case of this particular shield, the grip on the back was held in place with rivets which were never peened, so the acted more like pegs. Again, not something expected in a shield which saw use.
The fittings are copper alloy, gilded and with silver sheet soldered to the surface in parts as per the originals. All done by Dave Roper of Ganderwick.

The coverings of leather are glued on using cow hide glue, the one on the rear being applied after the fittings were placed.
The front covering was painted with a gesso made of chalk, powdered clay and hide glue as the original had traces of both calcite and aluminosilicate between the fittings and the board. I mixed some red ochre pigment from the ancient iron mine at Clerewell into this, which gives the gesso it's colour (although there is no evidence for what, if any, colour was added). The gesso layer was then sealed with a layer of beeswax varnish (beeswax and tallow) as beeswax was also found between the board and the fittings.

The stitching around the rim is with some waxed, handmade hemp thread.
Overall, quite pleased with the final results and it was interesting to bring different period methods together.

Attachment: 100.69 KB
tran1.jpg

Attachment: 95.62 KB
tran2.jpg

Attachment: 48.63 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 54.35 KB
[ Download ]

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Joshua McGee

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely remarkable, Matthew!
R. Charboneau

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finished it today. I will be adding a guige and some decoration in the corners at a later time, but this is it for now:)
Samuel D R

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote:
My reconstruction of the 6th century shield from Grave 21/868, Tranmer House cemetery at Sutton Hoo, based on details published in the site report and a British Museum technical report on the construction.

The board is ash, as was the original, glued together with cheese glue made according to the recipe given in Theophilus. Ash is not a common wood for shields but 6 of the 7 shields from this cemetery (where species has been identified) were ash, with the other being oak, which is even more unusual.
This may be an indication that the shields were made for burial, not for combat. The planks are 8mm at the boss, thinning to 5mm at the rim.
In the case of this particular shield, the grip on the back was held in place with rivets which were never peened, so the acted more like pegs. Again, not something expected in a shield which saw use.
The fittings are copper alloy, gilded and with silver sheet soldered to the surface in parts as per the originals. All done by Dave Roper of Ganderwick.

The coverings of leather are glued on using cow hide glue, the one on the rear being applied after the fittings were placed.
The front covering was painted with a gesso made of chalk, powdered clay and hide glue as the original had traces of both calcite and aluminosilicate between the fittings and the board. I mixed some red ochre pigment from the ancient iron mine at Clerewell into this, which gives the gesso it's colour (although there is no evidence for what, if any, colour was added). The gesso layer was then sealed with a layer of beeswax varnish (beeswax and tallow) as beeswax was also found between the board and the fittings.

The stitching around the rim is with some waxed, handmade hemp thread.
Overall, quite pleased with the final results and it was interesting to bring different period methods together.

This is amazing. Outside of this shield and the one from the main Sutton-Hoo mound, were there any other shields excavated?
Joshua McGee

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is my humble first ever attempt at a ca. 1300 infantry heater shield that I finished this afternoon. Slightly curved and covered in linen; I based the shape on illustrations in manuscripts as well as the Arnold von Breinz. It is about 34 in long and 24 in wide at the top, weighs about 6 lbs.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the paint scheme on that, Joshua! Those colors really pop. Great job! Big Grin ....McM
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Tue 21 Mar, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Samuel D R wrote:

This is amazing. Outside of this shield and the one from the main Sutton-Hoo mound, were there any other shields excavated?

There were eleven shields in total at Tranmer House (you can find details of them in this British Museum technical report :- https://www.britishmuseum.org/pdf/BMTRB_5_Bullock_et_al.pdf)

10 of them featured some sort of decorative mounts, this one being the most complex. One other had a lozenge shaped mount as well as disc headed mounts and 8 others just had disc headed mounts varying in number from 2 to 6.

In the mound cemetery, I think that Mound 17 (the young prince and horse burial) is the only one apart from Mound 1 which still had a shield when excavated. It had a simple boss and four large disc headed mounts.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Armando Alarcón

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi forum, I show you my aztec shields, "Chimalli" in nahuatl

Are made according to the descriptions of the conquerors, that is to say with hard wooden poles, lined with cotton cloth and feathers, the shields are very flexible.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful, Armando! You should be very proud of keeping the history and heritage of your country and the Aztec alive and well ! Keep up the good work ! Big Grin ......McM
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those feather shield recreations are fantastic looking!
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Shields
Page 13 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: