Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Medieval Sword, would appreciate any information Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Daniel Calvino

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Medieval Sword, would appreciate any information         Reply with quote

Dear Friends, as Antiques dealer , got this sword, the owner said its north italian , about 15th century
but I just know about furniture! has a bone handle about 4 inches , is light , about 2,25 pounds..
Would appreciate any comments about, in order to clarify where is really from..thanks

Attachment: 49.53 KB
sword 2.jpg

Attachment: 33.81 KB
sword 3.jpg

Attachment: 93.31 KB
sword mango.jpg

Daniel Calvino
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Might be a good idea to find someone really familiar with antique swords. That one kinda reminds me of another "15th century Italian sword" I saw in the flesh earlier this year. My feeling about the one I saw earlier this year was that it was a well made fake.

Since there is reputedly a well established trade of fake antique gims and daos in China these days, my thought was that the first one I saw was an attempt by these reputed Chinese traders to fake some European antiques.

I'm not an expert on antiques, but there's a couple things about this one that set off my alarms. Might be a good idea to see if either Craig Johnson or Peter Johnsson would be willing to voice an opinion based on photos.........

swords are fun
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to say, I've never seen a racetrack-shaped fuller.

Brian M
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the link to the sword and the site
http://www.antiqnet.com/category,arms-and-armor-3.html
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first reaction is "19th century fake/decorative sword". The blade looks like nothing I've ever seen (but then, there's a lot of stuff that hasn't been seen yet). The bone/ivory grip is pinned together, which is a pretty poor way of doing it. It is always hard to tell whether a sword is genuine or not without handling it, but based on the pics, I would say it isn't older than 150 years.
Robert Grant Gomm

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well, I've got to say that is definately different looking. But then again, I've also seen (key word here is "seen"- I've unfortunately never had to opportunity to actually handle) very wierd swords in museums and collections in france and england (like 15 years ago, so admittedly, my memory isn't too sharp). But the point is that I believe that it may be near impossible to tell for sure if it is original from those pics. Think about that claymore with the four quillons and that wierd bent grip made from a walrus (or norwhal?) tusk. I'd have never guessed that was an authentic piece. So maybe this is an original too. But I'd never fork out the cash for it with out being 100% sure. $3500 is a lot of cash to gamble on.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the pinned handle and the bizarro blade. I wouldn't be prepared to say for sure it's not real after all there is some pretty weird stuff out there that is authentic, but the question I have is even if it was real why would you want it? Yuck!
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let's not be too harsh with the comments guys.

Daniel sent me these pics and asked for my advice. I too doubt if it's original, for several of the reasons mentioned. I advised him to post the pics here, so as to get more feedback. Posts in the vein of "That sucks" or "It's butt ugly" really aren't constructive, nor do they give strangers looking for feedback incentive to post here.

No worries here. Let's just keep it constructive.
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I see from the auction site that you can contact the seller . I would see if the seller can provide any sort of documented
provenance for the item . Its a very "mabey it is , mabey it isn't " piece .
Daniel Calvino

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, I am Daniel , the Antiques Dealer, I appreciate all the comments received.
I am not trying to convince you about the authenticity, I began telling you , just know about
furniture, but may be, if we study the case together and we all colaborate with our opinions
and ideas, we may find out something.

About your comments:
Provenance: I don't have any documents but I can go back to 1920 :

a) I got the sword from Professor ( Arts) Julio Arteaga (age 79 ), few weeks ago.

b) Mr. Arteaga bought it in 1966 from a South american diplomatic at Vatican
still don't have the name but will have it, this person was a well know collector of swords.

c) The Diplomatic ( was in Italy for about 20 years) bought the sword in 1920 by recommendation
of the curator of the collection Castello Sant ´Angelo in Rome.

Those are just a few years if its original, but may put some light if the fakes were usually done after

If there is anything else I can do just ask.

best regards

Daniel Calvino
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Medioeval Sword ,would appreciate any information about         Reply with quote

Daniel Calvino wrote:
Dear Friends, as Antiques dealer , got this sword, the owner said its north italian , about 15th century
but I just know about furniture! has a bone handle about 4 inches , is light , about 2,25 pounds..
Would appreciate any comments about, in order to clarify where is really from..thanks

Well, my first instinct upon looking at it was to declare it a fake, just a gut feeling. However it does seem to share numerous characteristics with an original weapon of the period, the finger guard, the pommel and the hilt all resemble original combinations seen on numerous examples proven to be authentic medieval swords. Of course the blade seems a little strange, but does seem to share characteristics with Type X (fuller, without the racetrack groove), Type XIIIb (it's profile) and what I believe to be Type XV (ricasso). Also, the grips, being bone or horn, seem to be poorly done. The pins are definitely not the way to go when mounting a grip for combat when dealing with something brittle like horn or bone.

So I figure either it was an original weapon where the creator was experimenting with this example, as it appears has happened, which was refitted with a "new" grip in the Victorian era as has been documented as having happened. Or the people who made this did a little research, but not enough to cover the blade characteristics in detail.

Sadly my money goes on the fake.

"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
Daniel Calvino

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi , Daniel again
I attach another picture

Additional Information
The Sword Collector name was Carbonell Deballi ( or Devalli), he died in 1965 , he was diplomatic
in Vatican from 1920 to 1946.

Attachment: 90.72 KB
sword 4.jpg

Daniel Calvino
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If one could handle this, and "it handled like a sword", then the doubts might just go away.

But photos are hard to judge by.

Some of the things that raise alarm bells in my head:

1. Main bevel angle from fuller to edge
2. Relationship of finger ring to edge
3. Pommel doesn't seem to fit with a sword with fingerring { I would have expected more detail}
4. Profile taper {or lack thereof} in a "15th century sword"
5. Uniformity of patina on all three features {blade, guard, and pommel}..... different materials should patina differently, and likely not uniformly

There's others, but these are the maing thing. The handle isn't necessarily a problem, as a lot of handles of existing antiques are later replacements. The fuller shape is a bit odd, but I don't see it as a real problem........

The "dynamic balance" though would be a giveaway one way or the other. The fingerring kinda points to the intention of thrusting {though not necessarily}, and the lack of profile taper jars a bit with that. The dynamic balance would tell whether the intent of the sword was to thrust, to cut, both, or whether it was likely a Victorian era fake.

This isn't meant to be a condemnation of the sword. Just pointing out some of the questions it brings up to me.........

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gus is right about the hands on . Would go alot farther than photos . Are there any markings on the sword anywhere?
Symbols, numers , letters ?
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I have to apologize, as Patrick says the yuck comment wasn't exactly constructive, more of a gut reaction. There were some rather accomplished fakers in the 19th century, people that could turn out something that could make this sword look like a poor cousin whether it actually is authentic or not.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Civic Sword??         Reply with quote

Hmmmm

I would swing towards some type of Civic sword. ie for a pagent or festival. There are many of these throughout Europe and swords would have been made for them in many cases. Thus it maybe as simple as a club or guild sword for one of these. This might explain the grip construction. Another thing that comes to mind might be something for the stage. If made in the mid 1800's I would expect it to look much like this condition wise.

The other option may be a blade hilted to look more "antique" not so much to fake but to be a prop for one of the above reasons possibly. The blade is giving me that mid to late 1800's feel. The patina is so even across the parts, as Gus pointed out , that I think they have been together for a while.

Is it the angle of the photo or is the blade a bit saber shaped?

Is the pommel penned to the tang?

Craig
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Craig on this one.

From the photos it seems like the sword is a modern antique, perhaps made in the 19th C. From the photos one might concule that the edge bevels are quite blunt in their angles. Is the edge even a bit rounded? I am guessing on this one....

Everything in the shape of the blade is an exception from the norm. This does not in itself say anything about authenticity, but it can be a good reason to have second thoughts.
Daniel Calvino

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, I see some of you are needing additional information , will provide

Angus with the Dymanic Balance data , if somebody tell me how to measure that !
Allan , I didnt find any marks but will check it again
Craig , you will have additional pictures in a few hours

thank for your help..

Daniel Calvino
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think its a theater piece . When I used to collect e few years back all the theater pieces both armour and weapons
I ever encountered were built to pass from a distance but on close inspection ( 10 feet ) would become pretty obvious .
The sword being made during the Victorian medevial revival were of reletivally good quality if a little medevialesque .
There were plenty of firms making swords and knives for both military contracts and private commisions ( unlike
armour which was with a few excaptions like Ernst Schmit was being pressed out quick and dirty to hang on the
manor wall ) . If its a fake/reproduction it seems to me theres to much attention to detail to be just a stage prop . Craigs
guild/ pagent tack seems plausible .
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So the vote goes to Victorian reproduction. I should have seen that... Oh well, learn something new everyday!
"It is not what you have, but what you have done".

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Medieval Sword, would appreciate any information
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: