Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2016? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: What's On Your List For 2016?         Reply with quote

I ask this question every December.

So what is on you list to get in 2016? Swords, daggers, armor, books, various other pieces of kit.

The only thing I'm seriously considering for next year is a stage combat rapier from Darkwood - Probably the Ring Hilt with Shell Plates. I sent them an email asking about variations to the basic configuration, like using a sidesword blade on it.

There are other things I wish I could get, but probably won't. For instance, something from Danelli Armouries, and something from Maciej Kopciucjh, like the 12th century German sword shown below.

What about you?

Attachment: 22.45 KB
shellring4.jpg
Ring Rapier from Darkwood

Attachment: 24.17 KB
shellring3.jpg
Ring Rapier from Darkwood

Attachment: 98.89 KB
maciej k_s.jpg
Maciej Kopciucjh 12th C
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me it's a hanwei tinker project blade (maybe even two), a spearhead and sharpening tools.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably just two, unless the Deal of the Day turns up something really nice.

--a Hanwei Tinker project blade, to go with a set of fittings from Mike Jia.

--an Albion Alexandria. (Hey, I can dream...)

Failing the Alexandria, a Viceroy or Crecy. Or perhaps even a Gallowglass. I just hope it's not such a long wait as it was for my Munich!
Alexander Ehlers

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want the English Longsword offered by Arms & Armour. I have, for a while, wanted a good Bastard Sword to practice 14th Century fighting with. This sword is the kind of Bastard I would want, with the Type XVIII blade, plus it's my style of hilt.

Attachment: 6.57 KB
Longsword.jpg

Attachment: 19.79 KB
Longswords.jpg

Never give up without giving a fight, fighting is an opportunity for victory.
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Im talking to A&A about a custom piece that will probably chew up my budget for 2016
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Still looking for just the right Bolton type eagle pommel sword. This one is close

I need one with a horn or ebony grip, preferably no blade decoration.

The English Longsword at A&A calls me a couple of times a month, along with other goodies from them. I am still needing a newer camera and that has been at the top of my lists. Books and other toys sucked up this year's budget.

Cheers

GC
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a list of items I'll be selling, but nothing I'll be buying. I have a custom EB Erickson sword hilt that might get completed this year. If that's the case, the money from the sales will go towards that because I won't have any "new" money for stuff. I'm lucky to have acquired enough over the decades that I can recycle things without having a lot of heartache about it.... sometimes.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bike tech is changing so this is probably a year for non-cycling hobbies like this one. Figure that I might have to get a CZ Carbine if that counts here. Looks to be a sweet and easy home defense gun that my wife could learn to handle.

Swords and such though:

1) Would like to come up with an Albion Squire (second hand) but they seem to be going for just a bit much yet
2) Anything else Albion or A&A that comes up second hand cheap
3) Watching the Euro to see what central bank actions do. If the dollar goes up enough there might be some options from Lutel, Arma Bohemia or White Rose that have not been utter bargains for more than a decade!!
4) Soft kit (really need some decent boots)

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2016 will be the first year in many that I don't have any new projects planned.... Wow, it feels weird to say that.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm trying to get a project started with Maciej. Its been stop and go for a number of months for various reasons. But I'm ready to go now. If it works out it will be back to basics - a 12th century Brazil Nut sword.

I've also had a project on the backburner with A&A which would be sort of an Albion/A&A collaboration. It will involve disassembling an Albion (which I sent them months ago) and mounting the hilt on a new blade. This took a bit of courage because the Albion was already one of my favorites, and one can always sell a pre-owned Albion quite easily. However, after several years of thought I knew this was what I wanted. We'll see how it works out.

I must say that buying internationally has become very painful for Canadians with our dollar tanking. Currently 72c on the USD.
Gordon Alexander

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been designing a mortuary sword for 3 years now. I have used Vincent Chevalier's formula's to get the mass distribution right and had an artist working on modifying the hilt to suit my taste. If Craig answers my emails I may even get it done in 2016.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*My list is subject to immediate change if I can finally purchase a lottery ticket that is not defective!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyone looking to make a shopping list is welcome to look right here. There might be something you like. Who knows?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: What's On Your List For 2016?         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

The only thing I'm seriously considering for next year is a stage combat rapier from Darkwood - Probably the Ring Hilt with Shell Plates. I sent them an email asking about variations to the basic configuration, like using a sidesword blade on it.

What about you?

great choice, a darkwood is high on my list.

as for bladed weapons, besides of a darkwood rapier i am thinking of buying something new to me: a sharp blade.
until now i have 6 blunt ones, from viking, over medieval, to rapiers, because i had no use for a sharp.
but watching all those cutting videos i got the taste, so i am considering a cutter. maybe a coldsteel 1796 lc. or a valiant longsword, i am not sure yet.

and i think about buying a firearm. (*)
i love wheellocks and i love bolek maciaszczyk, but i do not know the pricerange to expect with him. (if anyone could suggest me a crude number pls. pm me)
if maciaszczyk turns out too costly i will go with the pedersoli 1798 austrian musket .

(*) luckily we have a firearms legislation in austria, that is quite reasonable compared to european average. everything pre-1871 can be bought without any registration or paperwork.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
I'm trying to get a project started with Maciej. Its been stop and go for a number of months for various reasons. But I'm ready to go now. If it works out it will be back to basics - a 12th century Brazil Nut sword.

This just firmed up. I think he works pretty fast so I'll post updates when I get them.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:

This just firmed up. I think he works pretty fast so I'll post updates when I get them.

As I noted above, I like his stuff, so you have my envy.
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Besides applying to Medieval Studies graduate programs and finally going full-time as my leather & wood craft, I would like to assemble a knightly harness based on Italian effigies and paintings c. 1325-1335, which incorporate many elements that I can craft myself (belt, scabbard and baldric, shield, cuir armour) and also look rather unique in doing so. Who I'll work with to create the metal bits, from helm to sword, is another matter... Lots of great options out there!

-Gregory

Attachment: 426.38 KB
[ Download ]
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 19 Dec, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A harness based on that would look very nice Gregory. Definitely not something that you see being done often if at all.

I have also been looking at Maciej's work with envy ever since Patrick showed that very nice Type XIV that he got from him.

For myself I actually have two things on the list since I have enough mountain bikes for now. Though I eye fat bikes when there is snow on the ground here!

The first is an a-historical/fantasy hand a half sword that I am on the wait list for from John Lundemo, that should be done in about 4 months or so.

The second is a bare blade Jody Samson fullered dagger that I bought from Albion and am now on Ernie's waiting list at Yeshua's Sword to have finished.

Unless I also find an actual working lottery ticket that will be all for 2016. Unless I find a smoking deal on something I am really interested in on the secondary market that is.

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Dec, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Still not fully employed, so can't yet afford the Migration Era Frankish commission I'm planning, but if the employment situation changes sufficiently, then that will be the first thing I do. For now, I'm doing well enough to treat myself to a set of medieval cooks knives from Tod's Stuff. I'm often asked to cook when I visit friends and family and, frankly, most of their knives suck (that's a technical term), so having a cool set of knives to pack along when I travel or when I know I'll be in the kitchen at a friend's house also has its practical applications. Wink
Chip F.

PostPosted: Sat 19 Dec, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gottfried - I am also considering the CS 1796 Light Cavalry saber. It seems to have pretty good press and would certainly be fun to annihilate some pumpkins with Razz

However, my first priority is getting a custom scabbard and belt rig made for my Albion Lancaster. I have already spoken to Sonny over at Valiant Armoury about a design idea that incorporates an embossed Lancaster rose and thorned vines running down the length of the scabbard. I was informed that I will have to wait until after the holiday season, but if Sonny's reputation is to be believed, it will be worth the wait!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2016?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: