Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Pikula Work available Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: New Pikula Work available         Reply with quote

This piece is available for sale!

As I reflect back upon what I wanted to accomplish as an artist and start to plot a new direction forward I will be finishing up a couple of projects and ideas. A properly crafted and balanced sword is just the beginning. The story which it tells, and the story which it carries makes it art. The story of this sword began when images of another sword, which was previously only published as a sketch, surfaced. Seeing the images made me appreciate the sketch on a deeper level, and other sketches started becoming much more appealing. In Oakeshott's "Records of the Medieval Sword" there was another sketch that drew my attention, and captured my imagination. The sword was published in a sale catalog, which were destroyed, prior to the air-raids on London during the world wars, and the whereabouts of the sword is unknown. Perhaps it survived and is in a collection somewhere in the world, or maybe it was buried in the devastation. Where did it come from? Who did it belong to? I was very drawn to the form of the guard, and the pommel, as well as the detail in the grip. The entry on the following pages had a similar blade from, and the fittings were forged to shape with a very slag rich iron or steel. I decided to use some wrought iron that was salvaged from Lake Superior, bringing new life to a material which was abandoned, and left for the earth to consume once again. It was such a joy to be able to work on this piece, and see it literally come to life. Even though the proportions are rather large, the sword is quick, very nimble, yet has all the presence that one would expect.

I would like to share one of the last pieces in my journey, and hope to surpass it with the two that remain to be actualized.

Attachment: 204.44 KB
DSCN3155.JPG

Attachment: 69.9 KB
DSCN3162.JPG

Attachment: 83.65 KB
DSCN3131.JPG

Attachment: 82.89 KB
DSCN3146.JPG

Attachment: 76.69 KB
guard.jpg

Attachment: 83 KB
pommel.jpg

Attachment: 80.47 KB
scale.jpg

www.warriorspathpatternweld.com
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks fantastic.

Very interesting features on a longsword.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks great Michael. It has been great watching you make swords over the years. I still love the XIIIb and glaive you made for me. I just wish my finances were in a better place so I could commission more pieces from you.

Anyhow, keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing more pieces!

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sure is pretty! I love that pommel! I bet it handles great for a sword of that size! The iron fittings are a great touch. Really, really good as usual Michael!!!
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you mind expanding on the rather cryptic statement: "...one of the last pieces in my journey, and hope to surpass it with the two that remain to be actualized."
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the positive feedback and thoughts, they are greatly appreciated.

Robin, my statement was made to reflect that I have decided to no longer make my living as a swordsmith, and to start looking for another way to support myself. But there are a few pieces that I still need to complete in order to feel satisfied that I have accomplished what I set out to do and feel successful in this chapter of my life.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
Thank you very much for the positive feedback and thoughts, they are greatly appreciated.

Robin, my statement was made to reflect that I have decided to no longer make my living as a swordsmith, and to start looking for another way to support myself. But there are a few pieces that I still need to complete in order to feel satisfied that I have accomplished what I set out to do and feel successful in this chapter of my life.

Really impressive sword, and I agree with everyone else being impressed with it.

I think your passion is making swords, and not being an enthusiastic business person i.e. your ambition was probably to make enough money to support yourself making swords and support your craft, and not the reverse of using your craft to make money for it's own sake ?

I hope you can continue to make some swords at a slower pace, and more as a partime passion and earn your living doing something else ? I also sort of fear that maintaining the work space and equipment might be challenging, unless you find some other work that can both pay the bills for " every day living " and pay well enough to be able to maintain the means to make a small number of things ...... you could then still sell them occasionally, but not be dependant on sales to just survive and pay the bill.

You could also keep a few for yourself ? ( I could never really sell anything I made because I would want to keep them all, and the reason I make anything at all, like my walking sticks, is that I'm making things I want for myself: I could only sell something if I made a second piece to replace it by being better, but still close to the first piece made ! ).

Another factor is also that if you have a job that takes a great deal of your time and energy, you may not have much left to do the amount of work to make even a few pieces a year ...... and doing it as a hobby may be more frustrating to you than satisfying, if you can't do it as much as you would like !

I sort of hope that this need not be a " closed forever chapter " of your life. Sad

I do wish you the best in any case.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent sword Michael.

I am honored to have the Viking sword you made me and the Langseax. I also picked up a regular size seax you made from Viking Shield. They are excellent blades and works of art.

Non Timebo Mala
J.D. Crawford

(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Michael,

I really love your work and now regret more than ever that I did not commission something from you when there was a chance. Interestingly with this piece you seem to have gone from Viking period to late Medieval, and skipped over my favorite era!

A couple of random quesitons:

- is the price of this piece listed somewhere, or do you want people to contact you privately?

- is the blade 30" as Oakeshott listed on the original inspiration? It looks bigger.

Michael Pikula wrote:
I have decided to no longer make my living as a swordsmith, and to start looking for another way to support myself. But there are a few pieces that I still need to complete in order to feel satisfied that I have accomplished what I set out to do and feel successful in this chapter of my life.

It really sucks that there is gap between what most collectors, even the serious ones, can afford, and what people like you need to make a good living in this business. I don't know what the answer is.

Regards, JD

PS - I hear you were up our way visiting Jeff not long ago; I hope it was a productive and/or fun visit.
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:

That is unfortunate... I kind of assumed that is what you meant, but wanted to clarify. I always hate to see a good smith leave the market, especially a high end one like yourself. The one piece of yours that I have (acquired from Tim), is one of my favorite pieces in my collection.

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that you're leaving sword making Michael. You are one of the best and will be sorely missed!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael, this is a truly outstanding piece. I especially love the use of wrought iron for the furniture. I've seen this treatment on a couple of occasions and I absolutely love its organic look. The pommel is a nice design and quite well fitting for the swords overall sense of proportion. I wish you luck in your future endeavors. I also hope you manage to keep making the occasional sword. It would be a shame to see your talent disappear from the craft entirely.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for all the kind and supportive words Happy I am very open to what the future brings and don't want to completely give up the art, but I can't envision a 5 year plan that puts me ahead and in a better financial situation. The desire to be successful and financially independent is very important, so a new path must be chosen.

Quote:
A couple of random quesitons:

- is the price of this piece listed somewhere, or do you want people to contact you privately?

- is the blade 30" as Oakeshott listed on the original inspiration? It looks bigger.

Please contact me privately for pricing information.

The blade is longer by around 5 inches.

I intentionally decided to exclude the standard list of statistics when posting this piece since I don't feel that it is important to the concept that I am trying to present. For me the sword is part of an on going story, and a way for people to relate to the tales that they have heard, read, or dreamt of as children or adults. A physical manifestation of something ancient and distant, yet present in the hand and connected to the mind. My past work has been more of making sword as functional objects, and I have seen some of my work abused and damaged and it is heartbreaking. I feel that there are lots of options out there for those that are interested in "swords" as purely functional objects, which is redundant since if a sword isn't functional it isn't a sword, but I am trying to offer something more, something more precious. Of course if it was important to the buyer and the price was agreed to I would share them.

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a very heroic looking sword and I think you succeeded in physically manifesting your vision. I truly wish I could buy it, and it wouldn't get damaged. Wink
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I intentionally decided to exclude the standard list of statistics when posting this
piece since I don't feel that it is important to the concept that I am trying to present. For
me the sword is part of an on going story, and a way for people to relate to the tales that
they have heard, read, or dreamt of as children or adults. A physical manifestation of
something ancient and distant, yet present in the hand and connected to the mind. My
past work has been more of making sword as functional objects, and I have seen some
of my work abused and damaged and it is heartbreaking. I feel that there are lots of options
out there for those that are interested in "swords" as purely functional objects, which is
redundant since if a sword isn't functional it isn't a sword, but I am trying to offer something
more, something more precious. Of course if it was important to the buyer and the price
was agreed to I would share them.

... ya' know, that's a very admirable thought, MP.

And you make a great point, mentioning options out there for those that are interested
in " swords " as purely functional objects
. While I'm sure each of the swords I own could
function just fine, I think of them as you suggest ... as something more, and something
precious. Not necessarily in the Golemesque sense, of course ...

Like Ole' Crusty -- yes, PK, been WAITING for a chance to use your new moniker ! -- I'd love
to own this beasty ... It reminds me of a cover-jacked painting done by Jeffrey Jones for a book
by Fritz Leiber, Swords And Devilty ...

Okay, NOT right on the money, but your sword DID remind me of it .... B-)
Michael Beeching

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jan, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to say, Sir, that that thing is quite a monster! I have imagined similarly fantastic dimensions in my mind before, but actually seeing them is something else entirely - thus, the blade is around 35 inches, and I have to assume the width at the base of the blade is no less than 4 inches...

...Is it possible to have a more specific set of dimensions and weights? I'd like to try to understand within my own mind how such a sword performs!

*EDIT: It seems I overlooked some of your rationale for not posting the measured characteristics of the weapon, but if it is not offensive to you, could I be informed via PM what some of those figures are?
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As promised in my other thread, here are some stats on the XVIIIc

Length overall: 46.25"
Length of grip: 8.75"
Width of guard: 11.8"
Width of blade at the guard: 3.8"
Width 3" from the tip: 1.4"
Point of Balance: 4.7" forward of guard
Point of Rotation: At the tip
Center of percussion: 21.3" forward of guard/
Weight: 4 pounds 5 ounces

Once again I have priced this piece at $4000 plus shipping to help cover the cost of tuition and setting up a therapeutic body work studio. If you would like a first had account of the handling of this sword please get in touch and I can provide two references for you to correspond with. Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Thank you once again
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like this sword Lancelot posted a picture of a ways back. You'll need to scroll down a couple posts to see it.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.8322.html

(I've been digging through the older posts looking at two handers)

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just got back from passing my national exam to become a LMT and to celebrate I am offering $500 off this piece until next Friday, March 27. The price is $3500 plus shipping, and Saturday March 28 the price will go back up to $4000 plus shipping.

Here is to a New Direction forward!
Cheers
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy Monday! Just a reminder that this piece is discounted until this Friday. Don't miss out on an excellent opportunity to own a unique item at a great price! Please pm me with any questions you may have.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Pikula Work available
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: