Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for infos on belt grinders Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Leo Rousseau

PostPosted: Thu 13 Feb, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Looking for infos on belt grinders         Reply with quote

Hi everyone !

I'm looking for some tips about belt grinders. I need a tool in the price range 70-150€ and a place that sells it in Europe . I have found some on Ebay (the brand is Einhell and it is German) does anyone has any experience with it ?

It will be mostly used for grinding and polishing small blades and brass pieces.

Thanks in advance,

Léo.
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Feb, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings, Leo and welcome to the forum.

I tried finding the Einhell grinder you were talking about on Ebay, but didn't see it. A link to what exactly you are looking for would be very helpful . Most bladesmiths use a 2x72 belt grinder, and they are generally very expensive tools. There are not a lot of "middle of the road" options. There's the cheap kind, and the really pricey ones,like this : ( http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/maco_...G_0402.jpg )

You can buy a small belt sander ( like this : http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/pr..._11211.jpg )

It might do alright for smaller blades, depending on HP , and is better than no belt grinder if you have a tight budget. But if you're serious about bladesmithing, I would suggest investing in a quality set up.

I am in America , so I can't advise you on the availability of grinders in France, but I would assume most major grinder manufactures ( such as KMG, Kalamazoo, and Coote) ship worldwide . If you are mechanically inclined, a third option would be to build your own belt grinder.There are multiple tutorials to be found on that subject.

Best wishes, whatever you decide.

Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sun 16 Feb, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great advice from Isaac,
over here I had more luck searching with the title Linisher,

I have an Einhall electric plane, good value for what it is, their log press's are well thought of too, haven't used their grinder,
what electric supply do you have ?
when searching there are a lot of 3 phase machines quite cheap,
but, motor replacement to 240 is from £100-500 going S/H or new,
Jet and Scheppach are other brands to look at, heard reasonable things about them,
a lot of the cheaper one's are geared for woodwork, suffer from belt alignment issue's and motors burning out from working too hard with steel,
the budget you mention, I'd save a little more and go for a Coote 48"
http://cootebeltgrinder.com/index.html
Then start a motor search, reconned ones on the bay can be reasonable,
if you do go separate motor-machine, ask around your social circle, air con -maintenance engineers could probly get you a motor at a good saving,
overall the Coote is worth getting, if you move up and get bigger its always a good spare or woodworker too, also great resale value,
good luck,
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 16 Feb, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're just doing smaller blades and softer metals, and are on a budget, you should consider just using files :D

Get a couple different cuts: a double cut bastard file, a single cut mill file, and a finer file should take care of you. Draw filing with the finer file (while keeping it clean) should give you a nice flat surface that won't take long to sand by hand (using sanding blocks). Well, it will take a long time but that's working with metal for you; mostly everything takes a long time.

Go for bigger ones, around 10" long or a bit more so you can hold onto the other end and still have a decent amount of working surface.
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Sun 16 Feb, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a budget grinder I would recommend the Craftsman 2x42in sander. Get some quality grinding belts and its a great little machine. Its not as versatile as a true knife makers grinder but for the price its hard to beat. Even better when you upgrade this little sander/grinder will still have a place in your shop.

I may be a bit biased since I own one but I love it and if I had to do it again I would still buy one.

Not sure if/where you could buy one in Europe but worth looking for.
Leo Rousseau

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all these infos.

Isaac here is the one I talked about (sorry it is in French) : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Einhell-Ponceuse-a-dis...338aa037af

I have thought of making it myself but for now I have neither the place nor the tools to do so.

I have only standard 2 phase power supply. The Coote 48 looks really good though and I'm not in a hurry to buy the said grinder so maybe you are right as I might wait a little more and increase the budget I can put in.
Thomas Newman

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know it's an old thread, but maybe it will be a timely resurrection for someone...

Here is my sander, it is a Yates American S70 disc and oscillating spindle sander combo. I got it as a project, the previous owner dumped it over and broke the oss casting so the table is off of it there and in the other pic of the disc, I pulled that table so I could pick it up easier with my forklift. Disc is 30" diameter and 5/8" thick. It is in the 1750lb range. The last 2 pics are what is should look like together, these are from a guy I know that has one and I got the correct miter guage from.

I have the broken casting app halfway fixed, and the clutch mechanism fixed properly now, need to finish the gearbox casting and the trunnion and bolt it all back on. I have been using the disc sander side for awhile now, works awesome.

I also have a Powermatic #30 12" disc and 6x48 belt likw this https://mechanicguides.com/best-belt-grinders/ a Porter Cable G4 belt grinder 4x52 and a couple 2x72 shop made ones in the works and a Duro 6x44.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for infos on belt grinders
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic