Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Battle of White Mountain 1620 (2013)Event Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Wed 25 Sep, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Battle of White Mountain 1620 (2013)         Reply with quote

This might be out of the main interest for most of people on this forum, but itīs an interesting event: Last weekend weīve participated again on the reconstruction of the Battle of White Mountain, 1620. There were some few hundreds re-enactors from Czech Republic, Germany, Italy and Slovakia.

Itīs a big event, so there still many participants with crappy costumes or equipment, but quite a few folks have greatly upgraded their kits in last few years. Also, there is a lot that could be criticised as far as the organisation, technical support, etc., but our group kind of likes it anyway:)

Here is the video which shows the whole battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Nz20U02UI (if you want to see some action, skip first 10 minutes as it shows mostly introduction. Commentary is in Czech, so most of you would not understand anyway)-
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 25 Sep, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool! I like the pike fighting!
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Wed 25 Sep, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

even if I am a musketeer and should defend our trade, I agree - pikemen have usually more fun there.. Happy
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Wed 25 Sep, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

nice.
imho there`s is too little reenactment of that period, hope i can get there next year.

jesus maria - vivat ferdinandus imperator
Steven Janus

PostPosted: Wed 25 Sep, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was a great 52 minutes of video. i was curious about game rules. How do you know if you hit someone with the rifles or not? You're shooting blanks not real rounds. I had thought of re-enacting black powder guns in a war scenario and though the best way would be with paint balls and tiny co2 cartridges. That way if you have paint splater on your clothing, well you've been hit Big Grin. Is it guessing or what? Also, during melee bouts, are there rules about not targeting the face since you are wearing open faced helms? Most groups I've seen require a three face for rapier bouts. Very interesting though, I must admit.
Newbie Sword collector
Josh Wilson

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 25 Sep, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

Its an honor code sort of thing. If you see someone shooting in your general direction, take a fall. If it looks like not enough guys are going down, take a fall. If it's hot and you're tired, take a fall in the shade Laughing Out Loud Generally folks work out who will take hits beforehand.
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven, itīs a kind of "stage fighting" - we are trying to imitate the real battle, not to repeat it Happy
Obviously, we know who should win - in this case it was Habsburgs and Catholic League. Also, the main scenario is more or less the same each year, as it broadly follows what had happened in the real battle in 1620. Organisers would play with details and build a plan of battle. This would be communicated to captains of larger units, and rehearsed on Saturday morning. As Josh said, we work out beforehand which regiment should be routed or destroyed (and at what moment at the battle), which one wins, and who takes hit from cannons. Then itīs for captains to manage the number & frequency of "causalities" in their regiments Happy It is a bit different for pikemen, as they fight more "for real" - and if you are hit well by a pike, you should fall. Still, the basic scenario must be respected.

However, if you are playing a simple soldier, you donīt need to know what is the plan - you just listen to what your captain says. Itīs more about maneuvering and mastering your weapon properly (= safely), and itīs definitely more a theater than a "fight", but itīs fun.

Gottfried - do try to come. I was always wondering why are there no groups from Austria. Next year they will have the 10th anniversary, so I hope they would be planning for something special.
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Sep, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes there is crappy kit (as well as good of course) but its well staged, sounds like the commentator is doing a good job informing the crowd and numbers are impressive so hats off to them. Shame our own 17th cent guys can't do this kind of thing anymore and a pity there is no cavalry :-(
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Mon 07 Oct, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...few pictures to complement the video. Gives better idea of some kits used by folks there: http://cumik.erc.cz/kategorie-udalosti/121-bila-hora-2013

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Battle of White Mountain 1620 (2013)Event
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic