Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pre-owned items from KoA Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Pre-owned items from KoA         Reply with quote

I just bought a pre-owned Generation 2 from Kult of Athena that I may do a little upgrading of the handle on and maybe some light patination on.

This sword model pre-owned at $164.95: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...rman+Sword

I also recently purchased a pre-owned " Beowulf " helm that was on sale and before that a pre-owned Cinquedea.

Well, the point of my post is that these are great bargains and Ryan at KoA gives extremely honest and complete descriptions of any flaws, scuff marks or other issues that might be visible on a second hand piece: So if someone sees something they like on the pre-owned page they can believe that they are getting a full and complete and accurate description of the piece.

Many of the flaws that Ryan mentioned on the pieces I purchased where at times barely noticeable, so if anything he over reports on anything he sees as flaws or wear rather than under reporting.

Oh, and the sword I ordered yesterday I have already received the tracking number and it has already been shipped. Big Grin Cool

I am making a special point in giving praise to one of the best vendors I have ordered from in speed and quality customer service.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean:

I've been curious about those previously owned pieces. Thanks for your helpful comments about them.
And indeed, I would say the G2 could use a re-wrap. :-)

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
James M.

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm very happy to see your post, Jean; it echoes my experience. Just like you said, a class act.

In fact, seeing what you wrote made me think to check the new items section there at KoA and I found a beautiful pre-owned Hoplite spear to add to my collection. Thanks for the heads-up, I'd probably have missed that if you hadn't jogged my memory!
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The degree of KOA's quality control goes way above and beyond. I have nothing but respect for them. I just received a new Hanwei Claymore, and it was flawless. Hand selected, looked at, handled, and culled if necessary. Nuthin' but luv, y'all......McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And........yes.......Ryan is THE MAN! Way honest fellow, as well as everyone else there!...........McM
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
The degree of KOA's quality control goes way above and beyond. I have nothing but respect for them. I just received a new Hanwei Claymore, and it was flawless. Hand selected, looked at, handled, and culled if necessary. Nuthin' but luv, y'all......McM

Yeah, basically my goal is to encourage sending business to a proven reliable vendor.

If people have had good experiences with KoA, or other vendors, it helps keeping the better ones in business and is in our own best interests as well as a way to show appreciation for great customer service by letting other people know. Big Grin Happy

Oh, I'm thinking of maybe trying a simple wire wrap on the handle: I can make a decent single strand wrap, but not up to doing a twisted wire wrap, for now. Wink Big Grin

After removing the original leather cover, reducing the diameter of the wood a bit, if necessary, and maybe wrapping with cord first and hiding the non-historical metal collars at the ends of the handle and make a smoother transition form the end of the handle and the pommel: I'll try to remember to take some pics of the DIY job, in progress or at least before and after pics.

William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have bought from KOA for a few years now and Ryan is a good guy.

I recently picked up the Windlass Transitional Viking Sword from their pre-owned selection. I had a pretty beat up one I bought used a few years ago and passed it on as it was beyond my means to repair.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had very good experiences with KoA as well, and never hesitate to check out
their link through myArmoury on a regular basis to see what's what ...

I think offering pre-owned items is a pretty intelligent business decision as many
of us collectors look and own swords as we might pieces of art, and those who use
their weapons likely take impeccable care of them ... So what you might get is that
great oldee-but-goodee deal that's only been driven back and forth from church,
maybe to the bank or taxidermist each month, and then lovingly cleaned, waxed,
and polished while being kept in the garage ...

Obviously I could email KoA and ask what they do to acquire pre-owned items ...
do they pay $$$ ? would they do a trade ? or is it just a credit-toward-purchase
arrangement ?

Does anyone know ? or care to share their experience ...
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Jean and William......my sentiments exactly. As far as I'm concerned, KOA is the best in the business. I have the honor of working with a couple of fine young fellows who are just now entering the arms and armour field, and they are both very impressed by KOA. As a matter of fact, just yesterday evening, one of them said: (quote) " My God.....They have EVERYTHING!" I replied to him---"Well, maybe not everything, but a whole lot!" I'm totally with you, Jean. Any younger person I find with a remote interest in our field, I refer to KOA. ( And ..no...I do not work for, or have been paid by KOA. Laughing Out Loud )........I just know a good company when I see it!...........McM
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i had been talking over a purchase with KoA for a while now. I'm hesitating just because that's the way i am.

even with all my annoying questions they have gotten back to me within a day with an answer, discussed other options, and truly show they have a knowledge of the items they are working with. Honestly, i don't think I've ever seen a negative discussion on KoA within this forum.

i looked over their pre -owned page and saw a lot of opportunity for what someone like myself does, rebuild, a DIY project or two.
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:

do they pay $$$ ? would they do a trade ? or is it just a credit-toward-purchase
arrangement ?

I've traded with KoA a couple times. In fact I'm in the middle of one right now. I've sent them pictures of the swords I wanted to trade and told them what I want in return. They will hold the items that you want. You sent in your sword, they inspect it and send the trade items out. It is really easy. Now you won't get an equal valued sword in trade. They do want to make money off of the deal but they have been very reasonable. And they are a great option to use if you don't want to go through the headache of posting on a forum and dealing with an individual of unknown "qualities".

When dealing with KoA, you can be assured that they are going to be upfront and honest.

I don't know if they will also do credit or cash. I've only swapped swords when they have something in stock that I want.

Jason
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've done business with KOA a number of times, and it's always worked out well. In fact, they have a shipment coming my way right now - a sword and a number of leather pieces, including a used (I prefer that term over pre-owned) sword belt.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whomever KOA has for a shipping/boxing/wrapping person needs to be commended also. My claymore came in a box within a box, pommel in a box, and point in a box with a plastic tip protector and plastic blade sleeve full of oil. If my sword were to have been damaged(doubtful) it would have been the fault of a reeeeally pissed-off UPS driver. Yup....They're the bomb........ Big Grin .........McM
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.kultofathena.com/pre-owned.asp

Might as well have the list up Happy

Cheers

GC
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jul, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been making many purchases from KOA along the years and they've been good all the time. Great shop!
Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jul, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:

arrangement ?

I've traded with KoA a couple times. In fact I'm in the middle of one right now. I've sent them pictures of the swords I wanted to trade and told them what I want in return. They will hold the items that you want. You sent in your sword, they inspect it and send the trade items out. It is really easy. Now you won't get an equal valued sword in trade. They do want to make money off of the deal but they have been very reasonable. And they are a great option to use if you don't want to go through the headache of posting on a forum and dealing with an individual of unknown "qualities".

When dealing with KoA, you can be assured that they are going to be upfront and honest.

I don't know if they will also do credit or cash. I've only swapped swords when they have something in stock that I want.

Jason

Appreciate the info, thanks J-El...
Jason McEntee

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed, I've received nothing but excellent customer service and good quality, well packaged items from KoA. Ryan and staff do a great job.
"You see, a sword is three feet of tempered steel---with death dancing on every inch, and hanging like a dark star on the very point."
--Ronald Lacey, as Oswald, from Sword Of The Valiant, 1984
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've bought two swords from KoA. The second was a used Albion Laird and I couldn't be more happy with the service provided. I think it shipped in under 2 business days and it was, in my opinion, in better condition than advertised and a fine bargain.
Lewis Ballard

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Except for my slowly growing enthusiasm for antiques, KOA is the place I turn to when I've got the itch for new swords. Excellent customer service, fast shipping. I even e-mailed Ryan and asked if, should I have trouble deciding between two swords, I ordered both of them with the explicit plan of returning one of them, and if there would be any restocking fee. "No objections, no restocking fee," is what he e-mailed me back.

I also truly appreciate the deeper technical description KOA provides: not merely blade length, oal length and weight, but point of balance, two measures of blade thickness, hilt construction (peened or screw on pommel) and a hazard as to the sword's "bottle readiness."
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jul, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton Spaulding wrote:
I've bought two swords from KoA. The second was a used Albion Laird and I couldn't be more happy with the service provided. I think it shipped in under 2 business days and it was, in my opinion, in better condition than advertised and a fine bargain.

Well, I received the GENERATION 2 12th century sword Friday and it is also in better condition that advertised: If I was told it was new I would have believed it.

Some minor scuff marks where mentioned but are hard to even find, a small nick near the tip that was mentioned in the description I only finally found yesterday because I couldn't even find it before: I had to use a strong light and have it close to the edge in just the right way to see a slightly rolled edge.

I actually found it by touch by running my finger, carefully because the edges are paper cutting sharp, along the edge near the tip.

It should take about 2 minutes to make this disappear with a diamond hone if I decide to sharpen the edges a little more, they don't really need a sharpening but a little burnishing maybe.

Anyway, again " PROOF " that Ryan's descriptions of pre-owned products is meticulously to mention minor flaws or wear/damage that might easily be missed even when one is looking for them.

If and when I re-do the handle wrap in leather or a wire wrap I'll post some pics: The handle's diameter is a little thick and it would be better a little thinner.

It's a somewhat overbuilt sword with lots of blade presence but it still handles in a way I like.

There is some distal taper but it's not as much as the more refined and accurate A&A 12th century sword, but for the price it's a very nice sword, and the heat treat seems good and would be a robust " beater sword " I think, although I don't abuse any of my sword trying to use them as an axe.

I don't know if it still has it's factory fresh edges but they seem to be a very narrow secondary bevel that is very close to an apple seed edge that may have been given some very good tender loving care if resharpened at all by the previous owner(s).

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pre-owned items from KoA
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: