Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Release the dragon! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
E. Storesund

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Release the dragon!         Reply with quote

I suspect several board members have been watching the project grow with keen eyes. The Dragon Harold Fairhair was launched last week, when she got her name in an official ceremony.
I was lucky enough to not only get a glimpse of the ship, but play a passive part of the scenery as well just after jumping into some kit. Shame the new kaftan wasn't finished!

I must say it's a beautiful vessel, and truly massive. Really looking forward to seeing it in full sail. Considering the scale of the project and the luck involved in getting all the workmanship, expertise, not to mention such quality materials this is probably something that will never happen again. Everyone involved in the project seemed quite proud.

Pictures courtesy of Marit Bjørnestad, but i can guarantee it looks even larger in real life. I'll see if I can dig up some of the on-deck posing pictures that were done.
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A great accomplishment. Thanks for the pics, post as many as you can. As said, finding all the people with just the right skills, astounding in this age.

Cheers, Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
R. Kolick

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

what a beautiful ship is there going to be a beast head placed on the bow of the ship and i wonder who will crew her
E. Storesund

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. Kolick wrote:
what a beautiful ship is there going to be a beast head placed on the bow of the ship and i wonder who will crew her

Yes, I believe they settled for a jelling style head, due to be placed when they set sail for their first international voyage next year(?).
They have organized several sailing and rowing courses both in Norwegian and English, and the possibilities of becoming part of the crew are there for any able in body and mind i suppose. There are of course lots of people already into traditional sailing in the fellowship I would assume. There should be more information on the homepages: vikingkings.com
http://den.vikingkings.com/PortalDefault.aspx...eTabID=891

There should also be a link to the Facebook page, where lots of these pictures where snatched from.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash...5571_o.jpg
I'm the spear wielding git in the foreground here.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc...2750_n.jpg
Preparing the sail.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool. I wish I were in one of the likely places it was visiting but I am landlocked where I am now so doubtful.

Thanks for the pictures and links!

An awesome project. I cannot wait to see this thing make its rounds. What a neat experience.

RPM
José-Manuel Benito

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is what we can call a magnum opus.

I've been poking around the site of "the Viking Kings" and I'm really impressed. Although I do not know anything about navigation, I think this thread deserves to be up, because people must know about it.

This project would be unthinkable in my country (and in many others), so I admire the Norwegians and, in general, those who have worked on this great ship, worthy of a Viking king, as Harald Hårfagre.

Regards
E. Storesund

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here with rigging and all.

Here's finally some aerial photography of the recent test sailing. Photos by Dag Sjovold:

The sailing took place on a stretch of coast called Slettå, right north of Karmøy and Haugesund, known for its treacherous seas: While the coastline to the north and south is sheltered by islands such as Stord and Karmøy, this particular area is naked under the forces of the north sea. As it happens to be right in the vicinity of the wharf it should be an obvious place for testing the sailworthiness of the ship. On some pictures you can see that it's being closely monitored by the norwegian coast guard, securing not only the safety of the crew - but the safety of the photographer as well, as he took the pictures from some sort of glider.

The land that may be seen on some of the pictures was where Flóki Vilgerðarson, "raven Flóki", is said to have had his estate before he allegedly became the first Norse settler to colonize Iceland.
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow, thats a beautiful ship and a great project.

i wonder how it behaves under sail ?
how much can you luff it ? or how far against the wind can you go close-hauled ?
i heard these viking ships where quite better suited to this compared to their mediterranean counterparts, for the long pronounced keel.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these. It is really cool to see this ship at sea! What courageous mariners the vikings were to set sail into the unknown on such vessels! Hail Odin!
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ooooo..she's Lovely ! Two things that surprise me..how much LITTLE water she seems to draw 'unloaded" and how relatively few crew she needs under sail. Obviously, if being rowed, she'd need a lot more. I wonder if she'll ever make it here Down Under ? I remember visiting another viking reconstruction here many years ago..the viking 'knarr' The "Saga Sigla", I think she was called.
R Ashby

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I join with others in wanting to know all about how she handles, and so on. What a magnificent ship!
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Too bad, one can't order such a beauty, even not a custom made one... I'd like to cruise on the rhine with a dragon ship like this (and setting fire to some frankish settlements, I guess ;o) )

Please do update this thread and let us know, how the ship fares...

Best wishes,
Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Dag Sjovold

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Short video from the Dragon Harold Hairfair - life aboard and ashore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qte-zUM2f7c

Dag S

Dag S

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Release the dragon!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic