Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > longswords for kids Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: longswords for kids         Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

This is sorta a weird request for me, since I don't have any kids, but I was wondering if there are any longswords that can be used to fight with kids or wives. I'm looking for something that would allow you to actually use at least a few moves (preferably able to use in ox, but most toy swords seem to be lacking any cross guard) without hurting the person you hit? I seem to be able to only find nerf swords, which though well endorsed, lacking the length or guard needed to longsword with them.

E Pluribus Unum
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know about kids, but in regards to wives, any of the synthetic (or metal) feders are just as useful for women as men. Most of using a longsword is not about strength, my perception is that an adult male or female should be able to wield a longsword without trouble. A new swordsman might have to work on the endurance of some of the smaller muscles that are targeted by fencing and not used too much day to day, but again, that applies to both genders. There were plenty of females are WMAW this past year using the same feders as men and to comparable effect Happy .

One idea for kids, I wonder if cutting down (and of course sanding) a Cold Steel synthetic longsword trainer might not be a cheap and effective option? The handle is already a bit small for an adult so with some of the "blade" removed, it might serve well for an older child.

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Moses Jones

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This line of Nerf Swords are pretty tough. The longsword lasted for almost 2 years before my sons destroyed it and we fought with it almost daily. I need to get another one.

http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-N-Force-Marauder-L...amp;sr=8-4
Paul Abrams

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Nerf swords         Reply with quote

Moses Jones wrote:
This line of Nerf Swords are pretty tough. The longsword lasted for almost 2 years before my sons destroyed it and we fought with it almost daily. I need to get another one.

http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-N-Force-Marauder-L...amp;sr=8-4

The Nerf swords are great, as are the Lego brand ones. I have two small boys and we have a blast. However, they aren't allowed to hit mom!
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I made four longswords last summer that were basically homemade Nerf swords. I used a lightweight bamboo core,with a fir cross gaurd, Then I slid PVC pipe insulation over the whole thing as padding. These swords were a total hit at summer parties,and they handled much nicer than conventional nerf weapons. The beauty part was that when the foam became excessivelt damaged,you just cut it off and slipped on another piece. They could sting a bit when enough momentum was but behind them,but they were very safe for recreational use.
Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use LARP swords for teaching kids. My preferred longswords come from Calimacil:

http://www.us.calimacil.com/weapons/two-hande...lator.html

They also make a denser, heavier, stiffer, better-balnced version for HEMA, which also has a stiffer crossguard:

http://www.us.calimacil.com/collections/marti...p-red.html

The HEMA version are safer and more like a real sword than any of the other synthetics I've played with.

Ottawa Swordplay
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ya, nerf type swords were more of what I was thinking off, didn't want to hurt her or use safety equipment, just wanted to play around a little
E Pluribus Unum

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > longswords for kids
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic