Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Something I'd love to see Peter Johnsson copy Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alina Boyden

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Something I'd love to see Peter Johnsson copy         Reply with quote

I was looking through my copy of Dr. David Nicolle's Arms and Armour of the Crusading Period. I have the second volume on Eastern Europe, the Byzantines, and the Islamic world. While digging through there I found a sword labelled as Figure 92. I found it to be absolutely stunning. Austere yet very clearly gigantic and powerful. It had an odd pommel shape so I went to look it up in Oakeshott and it turns out the pommel is a Type N. It seemed to me that the blade was a type XIIIA and Oakeshott mentions 1 of the only 2 Type N pommeled swords he has seen being a type XIIIA residing in Romania. This particular sword is from a museum, or maybe private collection, in Bucharest, Romania. I don't have a scanner with me and can't seem to track down an image but maybe somebody else has one handy. Regardless, I'd love to see Albion delve more into obscure pommel types.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have that book. Would it be possible for you to get a scan posted of that sword?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To be more specific, it is from the Slatineanu Collection in Bucharest, Romania.

Last edited by Alina Boyden on Fri 06 May, 2005 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks similar to several swords found in river Ljubljanica at Ljubljana (capital city of Slovenia). Below is the picture. And yes, I've bought a scanner. Big Grin

Attachment: 88.6 KB
Two swords from 13. and 12.th century, both have inlaid crosses (left one has a copper ones, right has bronze) [ Download ]

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blaz Berlec wrote:
That looks similar to several swords found in river Ljubljanica at Ljubljana (capital city of Slovenia). Below is the picture. And yes, I've bought a scanner. Big Grin

Very nice. I know know that Oakeshott says sword designs can't be classified as regional but do you suppose the Type N pommel is a central european type - or at least one popular there?
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks like what Oakeshott called an XIb in "TSITAOC" -- a long narrow-fullered XI blade with a very spatulate tip. I wonder if Oakeshott stuck with that, or eventually dropped the "XIb" classification. Reason is, other than reading about it in TSITAOC, I've never seen a single mention of the XIb type on this board or any other online resource.

Brian M
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
That looks like what Oakeshott called an XIb in "TSITAOC" -- a long narrow-fullered XI blade with a very spatulate tip. I wonder if Oakeshott stuck with that, or eventually dropped the "XIb" classification. Reason is, other than reading about it in TSITAOC, I've never seen a single mention of the XIb type on this board or any other online resource.

Brian M
\

But I think Oakeshott himself calls this sword a XIIIA in the very same book. Go to the pommels section in TSITAOC and look at type N. What are the odds that there is another big warsword from Bucharest, Romania with a type N pommel when the type is considered extremely rare?
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wasn't considering the pommel type. I was just looking at the fuller width, blade taper, and tip.

Brian M
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
I wasn't considering the pommel type. I was just looking at the fuller width, blade taper, and tip.

Brian M

I know but you said according to TSITAOC it appears to be a type XI. But what I'm saying is that I think Oakeshott himself classifies it as type XIIIa in the same book you're referring to.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Something I'd love to see Peter Johnsson copy
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic