Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Source for pike heads? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Source for pike heads?         Reply with quote

Does anybody have a source for pike heads? I need a small, diamond or square-section head with long langets for a project. Something like this is ideal:

Attachment: 126.07 KB
va.gif

Attachment: 151.3 KB
va2.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a pretty long head in the picture. If you're happy to have a shorter one, you'll have a lot more choice.

I see two basic problems: almost nobody makes spearheads with langets, and almost nobody makes spearheads with narrow diamond or square sections.

Perhaps somebody can provide a source of Just The Thing, but you could always get a spearhead, perhaps like Windlass Greek, cut-and-grind to your diamond/square section, and add DIY langets. For a shorter head, you might be able to use something like the Windlass Greek spear butt, if it isn't hollow.

Some possible heads: the Hanwei Vikings ("Throwing", leaf blade), Windlass Greek. These all have thick midribs, so you can go almost square without ending up with a sewing needle on a stick.

(Hmm. Some of those generic heads would make nice boarding pikes, if slimmed down (not so far as close-to-square) and given langets.)

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Timo! I was already looking at a Windlass butt cap/DIY langet combo. Big Grin I can't weld, though, so that presents an obstacle. The long narrow langets are an obstacle, as is the socket size. Most spear head sockets are 1.25" to fit off-the-shelf dowels. This one is quite small. The Windlass butt cap I was looking at has a socket listed at 1" across, so that would be about the right size. These things are more emblems of rank than weapons, so it's probably going to be hard to adapt spear heads based on medieval or ancient forms.
-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Thanks, Timo! I was already looking at a Windlass butt cap/DIY langet combo. Big Grin I can't weld, though, so that presents an obstacle. The long narrow langets are an obstacle, as is the socket size. Most spear head sockets are 1.25" to fit off-the-shelf dowels. This one is quite small. The Windlass butt cap I was looking at has a socket listed at 1" across, so that would be about the right size. These things are more emblems of rank than weapons, so it's probably going to be hard to adapt spear heads based on medieval or ancient forms.

Have you considered this Lance head ? It is triangular rather than diamond section and the socket is 3/4" in diameter, but the haft could taper into the socket but taper up to a higher diameter haft of 1":
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...Lance+Head

As to languettes they can function only as reinforcements to the haft to make cutting it difficult but need not add to the retaining of the pike head to the haft as the long socket of this lance head does that job well enough.

The languettes can be inletted into the haft so as to be partly inside the socket and thus not leave a gap at the junction of socket and languettes. ( No welding needed ).

Oh, and the Steel Butt that come with this lance head can be useful on a pike or used for another project: I'm using some of these as Steel Butts for walking staffs or walking sticks I'm making: I have 4 of these in transit from Kult of Athena and already used the Steel Butt of one I bought previously on a Michael Pikula Winged Spear I mounted some time back and might use the steel Lance head as javelins mounted on 3/4" dowels.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can cut into and reshape a socket to fit a narrower haft.

You can just rivet langets straight through socket and haft (maybe the top 2 rivets), no welding needed.

Whether this would look sufficiently historical, I don't know. But tassels, fluffy foxtails, bindings for pennons, or similar will hide a multitude of sins committed in the course of metalwork.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,
This pike head by Manning Imperial is reasonably close to what you're seeking. I don't know if you can grind the head to more closely approximate the profile you seek, but it has one neck ring and your langets. Seems to be the correct time period, as well.

[url]
http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?item_...id=3[/url]

Good luck.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
You can cut into and reshape a socket to fit a narrower haft.

With the Lance head I suggested, or other sockets like this Windlass Steel Butt, that I also use from KoA, they can be cut shorter where their diameter is smaller and end up with a shorter but also smaller diameter socket for a small haft diameter.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...r+Butt+Cap

This works as long as one retains enough depth in the socket to securely hold onto the haft.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregg Sobocinski wrote:
Sean,
This pike head by Manning Imperial is reasonably close to what you're seeking. I don't know if you can grind the head to more closely approximate the profile you seek, but it has one neck ring and your langets. Seems to be the correct time period, as well.

[url]
http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?item_...id=3[/url]

Good luck.

Yes that does look good.

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There might be an opportunity for a manufacturer to offer these and related items, so if any of you would be interested in a high-quality source for such things, chime in here to help with market research.
-Sean

David Evans

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Pike heads         Reply with quote

Have you tried Two J's ?

http://www.twojs.me.uk/Pikeheads.htm
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good one, Dave! Now we're getting somewhere! I also now know of two talented professionals interested in making these.
It occurs to me that one of my old (and sold) spear projects could be adapted. That was a Hanwei Viking Throwing Spear with all of the decoration ground off. The Hanwei head is still on the market for about $40 and no longer has the fake aging of the blade. The socket could be cut down a bit and the blade shape refined to make something not at all bad for a leading staff. The langets would have to be separate or welded, of course. But it could make a serviceable piece.

Attachment: 43.43 KB
spear3_183.jpg

-Sean

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Source for pike heads?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic