Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Two new books on knives by Toby Capwell Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark T

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Two new books on knives by Toby Capwell         Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I just found out that Toby Capwell has not one but two new books on knives in history due out in the next month:

The Illustrated World Encyclopedia of Knives, Swords, Spears and Daggers: Through History in 1500 Colour Photographs, Harvey J.S Withers, & Tobias Capwell

Quote:
This title covers through history in 1500 color photographs. It includes a comprehensive directory of over 750 weapons arranged by time period and geographical area, along with specifications of date, origin and length. It features descriptions of the fighting techniques of some of the most skillful warriors of history. It is perfect for the serious collector and keen enthusiast alike, and is a superb sourcebook and reference work for military historians, curators, academics and experts on edged weaponry of all periods. It is written by a leading antique sword expert and lavishly illustrated with over 1500 color photographs and fine art images. This comprehensive encyclopedia of edged weapons is both an authoritative reference work and a stunning visual directory, explaining the development of these weapons through the centuries, describing their capabilities and individual specifications. The book reviews the development of each weapon and how the military tactics have shaped the great civilizations of ancient Egypt, Rome and Greece. It looks at the significance of the sword in the mystical traditions of the Celts, delves into the world of the medieval knights and crusades, as well as how the Middle Eastern armies fought. With over 1500 color photographs and illustrations, and written by leading experts in the field, this beautiful guide is essential reading for those interested in the conflicts, sharp weapons and warriors that have created and shaped history.

ISBN:9780754823315
Subtitle:Through History in 1500 Color Photographs
Author:Withers, Harvey J. S.
Author:Capwell, Tobias
Publisher:Lorenz Books
Subject:Military - Weapons
Publication Date:November 2010
Binding:Hardcover
Language:English
Illustrations:Y
Pages:512

Pictorial History of Knives, Daggers and Bayonets, Tobias Capwell

Quote:
This is a chronology of sharp-edged weapons and blades from around the world, with over 220 photographs and illustrations. It provides a detailed history of the development of daggers, fighting knives and bayonets, from their origins in the Stone Age through to the latest utilitarian and creative designs. It looks in detail at some of the world's most beautiful and deadly short-edged blades. It follows technological advances in blade manufacture from sharpened flint and antler, through to the use of copper, bronze, iron and modern-day steel. It is written by a leading arms and armoury expert, and lavishly illustrated with over 225 beautiful photographs and illustrations. This stunning book traces the bloody and fascinating history of daggers, dirks and bayonets through to the 21st century. From the appearance of the earliest stabbing tools of the so-named Dagger Period of 15,000 BC it describes the development of these short-edged weapons and their impact upon ancient civilizations and traces the history of the transformation of the hand-held stabbing tool into the bayonets of World Wars I and II and on to modern weapons. This comprehensive and fully illustrated history of short-edged weapons will be an indispensable resource for the amateur enthusiast and professional collector alike, with over 220 beautiful photographs these extraordinary pieces of craftsmanship will fascinate anyone with an interest in the weapons that have shaped the world.

ISBN:9781844769506
Author:Capwell, Tobias
Publisher:Southwater Publishing
Subject:Military - Weapons
Publication Date:November 2010
Binding:Paperback
Language:English
Pages:96

Attachment: 6.84 KB
cover - Capwell 1.jpg

Attachment: 14.28 KB
cover - Capwell 2.jpg

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice! Strange that these will be his second and third books on the subject in the last few years. He already published this one. Happy

Amazon already has listings for them:

The Pictorial History Of Knives, Daggers & Bayonets
by Tobias Capwell

The Illustrated World Encyclopedia of Knives, Swords, Spears & Daggers: Through history in 1500 color photographs
by Harvey J.S. Withers, Tobias Capwell

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Mark T

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chad,

Yes, I thought that too ... it will be interesting to see how different they are. The new Illustrated world encyclopedia is listed as having 512 pages compared to the 256 of the Illustrated encyclopedia. It also lists swords and spears in the title - hopefully, it's not just the old book with swords and spears added ... the Pictorial history sounds like it might include more historical images, which would be great.

Guess we just have to buy all three and compare! Big Grin

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: tobias book         Reply with quote

Excellent! I'v been a fan of his work for awhile. From what I'v gathered Tobias likes to keep with work/projects on the down low. Especially when it comes to creating a new jousting harness.
Todd Hawkins

PostPosted: Sat 24 Dec, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

Is there anymore information available on these three books?

How do their content differ from each other?

Do any of them offer more information or new pictures of medieval daggers; that is not to be found already in the
Logan Thompson and Harold Peterson dagger books?

Thanks,
Todd
Danny Grigg

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regarding "The Illustrated World Encyclopedia of Knives, Swords, Spears and Daggers: Through History in 1500 Colour Photographs, Harvey J.S Withers, & Tobias Capwell", I think this just collects the 2 earlier books by Harvey and Tobias.

There's a brief review on Amazon stating "I have a sneaking suspicion that this 512 page Encyclopedia of Knives, Swords, Spears & Daggers, by Harvey J S Withers and Tobias Capwell, is a combined omnibus of the 256 page Encyclopedia of Swords and Sabers, by Withers, and the 256 page Encyclopedia of Knives, Daggers & Bayonets, by Capwell."

So if you have the previous 2 books then there's no point in buying this book.

Danny
Todd Hawkins

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I currently don't have any of the three books, but if I bought one it would probably be "The Illustrated World Encyclopedia of Knives, Swords, Spears and Daggers: Through History in 1500 Colour Photographs" as you recommended.

Do you happen to know if it provides new information, or pictures (regarding medieval daggers) that are not found in the books; Daggers and Fighting Knives of the Western World or Daggers and Bayonets?

Thanks,
Todd
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd Hawkins wrote:
Do you happen to know if it provides new information, or pictures (regarding medieval daggers) that are not found in the books; Daggers and Fighting Knives of the Western World or Daggers and Bayonets?

Thanks,
Todd

There are indeed things pictured in his first book The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Knives, Daggers & Bayonets (which may likely be contained in the largest volume) that are not in Petersen or Thomson. Even items seen in those older publications are seen in far better pics in this new book. The Capwell has far more things illustrated in general.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Todd Hawkins

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great, thanks for your help.

Regards,
Todd
Todd Hawkins

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

Just a quick update in case anyone was interested.

I purchased the book: The Illustrated World Encyclopedia of Knives, Swords, Spears and Daggers: Through History in 1500 Colour Photographs, and on the copyright page is stated the following message.

"Previously published in two separate volumes, The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Swords and Sabers and The World Encyclopedia of Knives, Daggers and Bayonets"

Regards,
Todd
William P

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

why all of a suuden is it so expensive on amazon.. im getting prices of like $700+

was it discontinued or something...
William P

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

one thing about the combined harvey whithers and tobias capwell book on swords etc and on knives etc that i found dissapointing,

in harveys section on swords polarms etc while it is still a great pictoral source it is severely lacking in many areas of research and in terms of pictures, some areas like the polish and russian armies through the centuries are seemingly neglected prior to the 17th century like for example examples of steppe sabres from around the viking era. and really seems to be abit iffy prior to the renaissance for example labeling the falchion in the description of swords of the renaissance despite the fact the falchion is unquestionably a couple of centuries older than the 'renaissance' at least.

though i definately got my moneys worth buying it its just great to have those pictures in front of me (i paid about AU$20 for it)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Two new books on knives by Toby Capwell
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic