Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Leather sources? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Leather sources?         Reply with quote

Hello everyone Happy I am going to be leather wrapping a dagger sheath sometime before Christmas,and this site has some excellent discussion threads I've found that tell me just how to do that . However,I am still left with a specific question. Does anyone know where I can get a reasonable amount of thin leather like what is used to wrap scabbards and such with for a decent price with minimal hassle? Thanks ,people Happy I I can now officially say... Merry Christmas time,everyone ! Big Grin
Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This comes up every now and then. I'd find the local Tandy Leather store.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Phil U

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes Tandy will get you what you need but be prepared for earnest efforts on their part to spend more of your money than you thought you would spend when you walked in the door. If you do go into Tandy, buy a cow belly, it will show leather of varying thickness and you can scrape it down as far as you want. Tandy stores also have scrap bins that may do the job.

I browse garage sales for leather garments and boots for a much cheaper and equally serviceable alternative.
Peter Remling

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually Ebay will get you the best deals. Depending on what you're looking for goatskin or sheepskin could be your best bet. Cow hide is generally at least 2-3 oz * or greater which is doable but a little thick for most grips or scabbard coverings.

Goatskin or Sheepskin is as a rule a lighter weight and softer and in my opion makes a better more comfortable grip. It is generally a lot cheaper the cow hide and you can get it already dyed, which cuts down drastically on your expense, and time over doing the dyeing and sealing yourself.

Just a note: Not sure how knowledgeable about hide you are so if this is something you're already aware of, please disregard. * leather is measured not only by the square footage but also by the weight. The weight is an indication of how many ounces the leather weighs for a square foot. The weight will generally be indicated as 1-2, 2-3 ,..8-9 oz. etc. The reason it is not a constant ( say 2 oz) is beacause as a natural material the thickness will vary.

Hope this helps.
Phil U

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isaac, have you done much leatherwork before? I've done just a little (one dagger scabbard, three axe sheathes) and just wanted to raise the question of what is most realistic approach for your needs. You want to do some leatherwork on a dagger scabbard... where to get leather is just one basic question and I'm wondering if the leather pros here ans elesewhere can offer advice to the other issues you might face.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have used Siegel of California for 1.5 oz and 2 oz vegetable tanned leather, and some heavier strap grade tooling leather / bellies. They are not the cheapest supplier, but did ship materials of good quality, the 4 or 5 times that I ordered from them.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check with your local shoe repair shops, but find a place that only does shoe repair. If you only need a small amount they probably have scrap available and in the thin thickness for handle wrap.
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will second the shoe repair shop if you only need a very small quantity. That's how I first got into leatherwork. I stopped by a shoe repair shop and they happened to have a few square feet that they sold me for very, very cheap. Granted, the next few times I went back, and with several other shops I checked, they only had tiny shavings, so they are not always reliable suppliers. For that I would go to Tandy. Now that I use leather on a regular basis they are my main go-to.
"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quinn W. wrote:
I will second the shoe repair shop if you only need a very small quantity..

Or they might be nice and sell you some scrap leather once or occasionally but might get annoyed if you pestered them too frequently ? Depends on how much of a relationship/friendship you have with them and being a regular customer for shoe repairs in the past might be a big factor in their eagerness to help.

Maybe having them include some leather for you the next time they buy leather for their shop i.e. an extra skin for you included in their next order maybe ..... if you can talk them into it and if you offer to pay more for it than their cost to make it worth it for them to bother ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Leather sources?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic