Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Spatha (and Celtic Sword) Resources? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Elnathan Barnett

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Spatha (and Celtic Sword) Resources?         Reply with quote

Greetings,
I now in the final stages of finishing my master's thesis, and have about two months left before i lose my access to an academic library, so I would like to make the most of the remaining time. I was looking at (OK, lusting after) Albion's Decurio recently, and noticed that they classified it as a "Buch-Podlodów" type, sub-type 1. I am familiar with the Nydam-Straubing type and the Hromowka-Lauricum type, but evidently there are many more types that I was unaware of.
Can people suggest some good resources for 3rd century and later Spathae? I just requested Christian Mik's book, despite the fact I can't read German (I'll copy it now, read later perhaps. Maybe I can get my advisor interested in translating it... Confused ) I would prefer English, though.
English language resources on bog finds are very scarce (Illerup Adal: Archeology as a Magic Mirror is the only English language book available, and is not very detailed).

I also would be interested in knowing more about Celtic swords, particularly the Port finds, if anyone has some suggestions.

Thanks

Therfor he seide to hem, But now he that hath a sachel, take also and a scrippe; and he that
hath noon, selle his coote, and bigge a swerd.
- Luke 22:36, John Wycliffe's translation AD 1384
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Spatha (and Celtic Sword) Resources?         Reply with quote

Elnathan Barnett wrote:
English language resources on bog finds are very scarce (Illerup Adal: Archeology as a Magic Mirror is the only English language book available, and is not very detailed).

How about "Illerup Adal Vol (11/12) Die Schwerter: Textband / Katalog, Tafeln und Fundlisten", by Biborski and Ilkjaer? Another one on my ever-growing wishlist... (

Still in German though.
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Spatha (and Celtic Sword) Resources?         Reply with quote

Elnathan Barnett wrote:

There is also 'Denmark in the Early Iron Age'; a one volume English translation of two of Engleherdt's volumes on the Danish bog deposits (Vimose, Kragehul, Nydam and Thorsbjerg). It's out of copyright and can be viewed or downloaded here:-
http://www.archive.org/details/denmarkinearlyir00engeuoft

If you're interested in late Imperial and early medieval spatha's, then the two Illerup volumes that Paul mentions are a 'must-have', and well worth the money, as is the report on Ejsbol 1, even if it does mean sitting down a cup of tea and a big German/English dictionary :-
Quote:
Mogens Ørsnes. Esbjøl I - Waffenopferfunde des 4.-5. Jahrh. nach Chr. Nordiske Fortidsminder, Serie B, Vol 11. Det Konegelige Nordiske Oldskriftselskab - Kobenhavn, 1988.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Spatha (and Celtic Sword) Resources?         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote:
There is also 'Denmark in the Early Iron Age'; a one volume English translation of two of Engleherdt's volumes on the Danish bog deposits (Vimose, Kragehul, Nydam and Thorsbjerg). It's out of copyright and can be viewed or downloaded here:-
http://www.archive.org/details/denmarkinearlyir00engeuoft

Thanks for that!
Another one scrapped from my wishlist! Big Grin
And that without spending hundreds of euro's...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Spatha (and Celtic Sword) Resources?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic