Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Aug 15: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 

On your next sword purchase, what will the blade type be?
Oakeshott Type X or Xa
15%
 15%  [ 55 ]
Oakeshott Type XI or XIa
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
Oakeshott Type XII or XIIa
10%
 10%  [ 36 ]
Oakeshott Type XIII, XIIIa or XIIIb
8%
 8%  [ 29 ]
Oakeshott Type XIV
5%
 5%  [ 19 ]
Oakeshott Type XV or XVa
6%
 6%  [ 22 ]
Oakeshott Type XVI or XVIa
6%
 6%  [ 23 ]
Oakeshott Type XVII
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
Oakeshott Type XVIII, XVIIIa, XVIIIb, XVIIIc, XVIIId or XVIIIe
22%
 22%  [ 77 ]
Oakeshott Type XIX
5%
 5%  [ 18 ]
Oakeshott Type XX or XXa
2%
 2%  [ 10 ]
Oakeshott Type XXI
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Oakeshott Type XXII
0%
 0%  [ 3 ]
An unclassified type
11%
 11%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 349

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Aug 15: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Michael Pikula Riding Sword

A hands-on review by Chad Arnow

Arms & Armor Edward III Sword: Another look

A hands-on review by Chad Arnow

Albion Armorers Sherriff Sword

A hands-on review by Jonathan Sarge

Windlass Steelcrafts 15th Century Longsword

A hands-on review by Joe Fults

Arms & Armor Edward III Sword

Added to Chad's collection

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With this update, we welcome another new (to us) author: Jonathan "JE" Sarge. Welcome and thanks!
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All excellent reviews and congratulation to " JE " in being the author of a review. Cool

Oh, in the review for the Michael Pikula riding sword I think there is an error in the statistics since it says 37" blade and I think it should read 27". Wink

I'm not surprised about the quality of Michael's work and not mentioned is that Michael tests any blade he makes for temper and flex as well as durability of edges I believe. Being forged his blades and swords are a real bargain as he could certainly and justifiably ask for more money for them.

All my dealings with him ordering and designing together a few project have always been positive experiences.

The other reviews are as always informative and give good idea what to expect. Wink

As I have an Albion Sovereign that is very close in handling to the Sheriff I agree with all of the review including the continued desirability of Albion swords.

As for the Windlass, I think it seems acceptable for the price point keeping in mind that thicker stock and a stiffer blade would greatly improve it, and also congratulations on Joe's informative review. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With regards to Mr. Pikula's riding sword ... its good to see another swordsmith who also
provides a very secure packing crate / box. Something which I think can be taken for granted
when concentrating on showing what's inside. I have always noted the way my swords come
to me, and in fact take great care to package the swords I sell.

This has made me curious as to how other custom makers package their items. In fact
I think it can be a valuable addition to any member's review. Who wouldn't want to know
his-or-her sometimes-thousands-of-dollars purchase will arrive in a case or crate that
can survive above-average punishment ?

B-)
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
With regards to Mr. Pikula's riding sword ... its good to see another swordsmith who also
provides a very secure packing crate / box. Something which I think can be taken for granted
when concentrating on showing what's inside. I have always noted the way my swords come
to me, and in fact take great care to package the swords I sell.

This has made me curious as to how other custom makers package their items. In fact
I think it can be a valuable addition to any member's review. Who wouldn't want to know
his-or-her sometimes-thousands-of-dollars purchase will arrive in a case or crate that
can survive above-average punishment ?

B-)

All the weapons I have received from Michael from spear points, cinquedea and even a long mounted winged spear was in a sturdy and attractive custom wooden crate. ( Although crate should be called a " fine storage and presentation/display box " ).

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Oh, in the review for the Michael Pikula riding sword I think there is an error in the statistics since it says 37" blade and I think it should read 27". Wink

Jean,
The overall length is 37, as it says. The blade length is listed separately at 30 3/4 inches. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The response to this update is interesting. As of the time of this post, here are the page access stats for each review:

Pikula Riding Sword: 645
A&A Edward III: 389
Albion Sherriff: 650
Windlass Longsword: 493

So we can see that of the 4 reviews, the A&A Edward III has received the fewest views. I wonder why that is. One could argue about the quality of author's writing (Happy), but the Pikula riding sword review (also authored by me) has many more views than the A&A.

I find it odd there's so little interest in a very detailed sword based off an original with an interesting history; this sword is unique among this group that way. The Ed III is going to be more expensive than the Sherriff or Windlass, but Michael's sword is likely as expensive if not more, so cost can't be the main reason. A&A has a great reputation, so it can't be worries about the manufacturer (especially since a Windlass got more views).

Maybe the bling factor turns people off. It seems very blingy swords don't always excite people as much as more utilitarian swords. Maybe the fact that we already have an old review (albeit with sketchy pictures) of an older version of this sword is part of it. Perhaps it's because the A&A item is not as new to the market as the rest. Who knows? Happy

So let me ask: if you read other reviews in this set, but not the Edward III review, why didn't it interest you as much as the others?

Happy

ChadA

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula is a realtively new custom maker and people are much more eager to read a review about his sword than about A&A Edward III which is an old model and people already know about it... Albion is interesting probably because it's a high quality production standard and is always popular... And Sheriff is kinda cheap compared to other Albions and is a popular blade type... I think these things explain these statistics somewhat...
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know I read all the reviews but I will go back and re-read those I'm most interested in.

I also think the " Bling Factor " can be an issue even when based on " Historical Bling " that should interest us more: Maybe the modern influences of over decorated, but cheap walhangers, are having a subconscious effect ?

I certainly always like to read about A&A swords or other weapons since A&A is in the top half dozen of makers I favour most when it comes to purchasing their work or with A&A commissioning custom work, since they are both a small factory shop and a custom maker they are sort of unique. ( Most are one or the other but not both ).

Albion is a top maker but doesn't normally do any custom work, but the variety of their offering does make them very unique in their own way as well as quality.

With Michael we have an up and coming maker who not only makes great swords, he is the only one I know of that makes high end forged weapons at stock removal prices similar in price to the top end more expensive Albion Next Generation swords and in many cases less costly than some of the Albion Museum Line Swords.

The statistics are interesting but not sure one can arrive at any definite conclusions why some of the reviews are more appealing to a greater number of people ?

Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't speak for other people, but I have four major reasons why I didn't click on the Edward:

1. The bling. I don't like the look of it.
2. I favor two handed swords, and unless I'm gravely mistaken, it's a one hander.
3. The price. I'm still in a cheapskate stage where I don't want to go over $150 or so, which is a tad below most A&A offerings.
4. Lastly, as mentioned, I've come across other reviews on the Edward.

Basically I have no interest in buying it, and assuming I don't get too bored, no reason to read a review on it.

(I will probably read it eventually, just out of a vague desire to cover all the bases. Every so often I end up reading a myArmoury.com review just because it's there and the why not factor.)

Edit: And I think Jean has the right of it. It does resemble a gaudy wall-hanger to my eye.

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt Reeves wrote:
2. I favor two handed swords, and unless I'm gravely mistaken, it's a one hander.

If you read the review, you'll find the grip is of bastard sword size. Wink So not quite two, but not quite one either.

Happy

ChadA

Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fine, I read your review. Laughing Out Loud

Hmmmm... I wonder how hard it would be to take one of those and put in the chalcedony and shroud....

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt Reeves wrote:

Edit: And I think Jean has the right of it. It does resemble a gaudy wall-hanger to my eye.

I might actually be interested in a plain version of the same sword that could be seen as more of a working sword owned by a lesser personage than a King: I actually like the proportions of the sword as it's a big " one hander " that has a handle long enough for a bastard sword and two handed use. It is just so large a sword that it looks in pics like a smaller one hander that has been scaled up to being a twohander.

A&A could then make a less expensive sword for those who don't care for " The Bling " but really like everything else about the sword.

As Nathan has shown in another Topic thread showing extremely decorative swords that are period swords, bling was certainly appreciate in period but our modern aesthetics is more for functional and pure lines and none of the period irregularities one sees in even a King's sword, as has been discussed in some other Topics also.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

is anyone here surprised by the voting poll results?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am Nathan. It seems that there is a heavy predominance of early/high medieval sword fan purchasers who have responded here. I wonder if the XIII category has been artificially inflated for the moment, what with the excitement generated around Michael Pikula's new sword(s). I am also surprised to see so few XV and XVI swords as planned next purchases- it seems as though everyone wants one of the XVIII variants; they seem to be surprisingly popular as a blade type.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
is anyone here surprised by the voting poll results?

Yes, and no. I’m surprised by the XIII results for which Craig Peters has a very valid argument. I believe the results, as a whole, demonstrate the diversity of this community from the diehard X’ers to the lone XXII fan.

The one piece of data that I find most interesting is the 11% (currently) who desire “an unclassified type”. I would ask the responders what are these unclassified types, what do they look like, and (most importantly) what draws you to them?

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
[I would ask the responders what are these unclassified types, what do they look like, and (most importantly) what draws you to them?

I didn't vote, but I'm guessing that there will be lots of historical but post-1500 interests in there. Rapiers, backswords, falchions, cutlasses/hangers, the various unclassified types found on basket hilt swords, etc.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Tomas B

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As well as any non-European swords of any period.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tomas B wrote:
As well as any non-European swords of any period.

Wait...there are non-European swords? Laughing Out Loud

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*Cough* Over-sized kitchen knives *Cough*

PS: I didn't vote because I'm not familiar enough with the types of swords to envision them in my mind and would have had to get out a chart.

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Aug 15: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: