Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New sales blog for instock items from Michael Pikula Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: New sales blog for instock items from Michael Pikula         Reply with quote

I have been working on getting a webpage made up, but progress has been slow and since I am more hammer savvy then tech savvy, I decided to start a blog that will hold all my pieces that are in stock and ready to sell. It will allow me to easily post projects, and take them down, plus group them all in one place so it is easy to browse. Once the website is up and running I will probably just post a link to the sales blog, and keep the site as an archive of previous work. Anyway please take a look at the following link, http://michaelssmithysales.blogspot.com/ there isn't anything "new" or exciting, just the last three pieces that I posted about 2 weeks back, but would welcome comments and hints of details to work out or tweak to make it easier to use and or view.

Also for the time being the little Website icon at the bottom of my posts and profile will take you directly to the blog for easy access Happy

Thanks again!
Michael Pikula
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since it's a brand new site it's normal that the content is limited and here are a few suggestions;

A) When a sword, or anything else, is sold leave it up or available for viewing, as sold, at least for a time on the main page and maybe archive the sold ones so people can see previous work and an option to order a similar sword in the future ( Disclaimer that the original price might be different, that each piece may be original and different in detail if you prefer to not make the same things in the same way, that the shown sword can serve as inspiration for similar but fully custom versions ).

B) Swords made for a specific client and already spoken for could also be show with a note specifying if they are exclusive to that client or can be ordered by others ( Exclusive designs or not you should negotiate with the buyer and in most cases you should retain the option to make more unless the design is coming mostly from the client ).

C) For original full custom commission based on the clients' designs give the parameter you need to best understand what they expect and maybe limits you wont cross i.e. what you think won't be a good design or proper handling sword.

Anyway, just throwing out some ideas here for you to consider.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your suggestions. The blog is actually going to be an addition to an "actual" website which will have a lot of my previous work. I just don't know when it will be completed and since it is really out of my immediate control I wanted to get something going in addition to just posting my work in threads. The website will also have a basic price structure so that potential clients can get a rough guesstimate of what my prices are. The format and structure of the blog is pretty easy for me to take posts up and remove when sold, plus I have it mostly up and running now. As for the website, I hope it will be ready to start generating traffic by the end of next month but since I'm not the one creating it I don't really know.... If I can't get it up by the end of next month I'll try working with another designer, if there were 48hours in a day I would learn web design myself Worried
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

... that Lost Oakeshott is pretty darn fascinating ... While its the huge wide blade
that immediately draws the eye, I've always found modest lines -- such as those of the
hilt, grip and pommel -- adds to the attractiveness ...

In relation to that big sunuvagun, Michael, are you a large built fellow? or medium built ?
average ? below average ? I'm just trying to gauge its size in relation to myself -- being
relatively average at 5 foot 10 inches and 160 pounds ... B-)
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael introduced the sword in his post Lost Oakeshott XIIIb tribute. Some of the measurements he listed may be of help you.
...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere

Last edited by Scott Hrouda on Wed 29 Jun, 2011 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Matthew,

I am a skinny little dude, at 6'1" and 145lb I am a force to be reckoned with, unless the wind blows faster then 5mph or a mouse farts Wink Laughing Out Loud

I think the simple business only features of this sword and the proportions are what really drew me in as well. Then the whole process of grinding and working with the blade, and a set target weight was an interesting challenge as well. Plus now I'm addicted to wide thin cutting blades, no really, I'm addicted. Must... Make... More!
Rex Metcalf

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Micheal has got me hooked too Eek! ....Must...buy...more.

Seriously though I really like the dramatic proportions of that XIIIb.

Micheal, you do a very good job making an epic blade with effortless handling characteristics. My XIV and XVIa are the best blades I've ever owned. If I wasnt so broke the last penny in my pocket started talking to itself or I would be droppin' a commission e-mail on you right now.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New sales blog for instock items from Michael Pikula
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic