Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Weaponedge baskethilts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Weaponedge baskethilts         Reply with quote

Hello! Does anyone has any experience with these Weaponedge baskethilts:

http://www.weaponedge.com/images/swords/12.jpg
http://www.weaponedge.com/images/swords/13.jpg
http://www.weaponedge.com/images/swords/14.jpg
http://www.weaponedge.com/images/swords/27.jpg

I'm mostly interested in basket sizes, I have small hands and wouldn't buy any of these if they have overly big baskets...
The last one, 27, looks like a standard first half of the 18th century Glasgow hilt, but what about 12 and 13 (13 and 14 are the same hilt but 13 with broadsword and 14 with backsword blade) hilts? Are they regimental types? I'm more familiar with earlier types so I'm not sure about them.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am familiar with at least two of those swords and yes the baskets are large. I doubt you will be satisfied based on your question. Other than the first one, which is an 1828 pattern sword, they are not replicas of any particular school of hilt making or military style sword.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*off topic mode on
wow. never seen weaponedge before. they offer some really rare replicas. 1796 HC, and french AN XIII e.g. wow.
does anyone know how their prices are, and the quality of their blades ? thx.
*off topic mode off
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The last one looks like a version of the old Windlass "Culloden" claymore, albiet with a blackened rather than a chromed basket. The old Windlass basket was freaking huge. I've described it as "large enough to drive a truck through" which is a bit of an exaggeration. In reality, it's only large enough to drive one of those "smart" cars through.... Eek!

The other two are the Cold Steel basket hilts. These are of a more reasonable size, but still a bit larger than most historical examples would have been.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
The last one looks like a version of the old Windlass "Culloden" claymore, albiet with a blackened rather than a chromed basket. The old Windlass basket was freaking huge. I've described it as "large enough to drive a truck through" which is a bit of an exaggeration. In reality, it's only large enough to drive one of those "smart" cars through.... Eek!

The other two are the Cold Steel basket hilts. These are of a more reasonable size, but still a bit larger than most historical examples would have been.

I thought the guards looked like Cold Steel guards but the photos were so small I could not be sure! I think you are right about the one that looks like the old MR claymore. I have one of those in the closet but it was chromed. The blades look different though.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like I'm gone skip these. What about the Hanwei broadsword and backsword baskets? What size are they?
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Looks like I'm gone skip these. What about the Hanwei broadsword and backsword baskets? What size are they?

They are larger than original hilts but much closer to the correct size. I have large hands and they fit me very well. Of the two, the broadsword has the smaller basket.

Lin Robinson

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's worth mentioning that Hanwei typically uses stainless steel in their basket-hilts. For some people, that's a turn-off.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
It's worth mentioning that Hanwei typically uses stainless steel in their basket-hilts. For some people, that's a turn-off.

Yes they do, but it has a "brushed" appearance, for lack of a better term, rather than the high polish or chrome of some others. And, the price is not too bad.

Lin Robinson

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Yes they do, but it has a "brushed" appearance, for lack of a better term, rather than the high polish or chrome of some others. And, the price is not too bad.

I know. Happy I thought it was worth mentioning as stainless steel, in any application, is a non-starter for some folks. It's better than the chrome over copper over steel MRL used to use.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like it the most if it was just good old plain iron or low carbon steel... But there are too few production baskethilts to be really picky...
Btw, would painting it black with some substance be preferable historically to naked steel finish?
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
I would like it the most if it was just good old plain iron or low carbon steel... But there are too few production baskethilts to be really picky...
Btw, would painting it black with some substance be preferable historically to naked steel finish?

Actually, many original baskets were either browned or "japanned", which is a finish with a black lacquer. Painting black wouldn't too far off, although the paint might chip or flake off....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it helps, I put the basket and pommel of my Hanwei mort in the oven at 350 F for an hour or two, and it came out sort of a white bronze color. It doesn't look like plain carbon steel, but at least it looks less stainlessy.

The pommel came out darker than the hilt, so you would probably want to watch it if you tried this.

Jim
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:

Hanwei offers the backsword and broadsword with what they call an antique finish. I have both swords, one antiqued and one not. The antiqued actually looks pretty good as it looks as if the sword has been japanned. It has some wear in spots which adds to the look of the hilt, IMHO.

Lin Robinson

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Weaponedge baskethilts
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic