Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Upcoming Models From Hanwei Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Upcoming Models From Hanwei         Reply with quote

Here is Hanwei's new European edged weapons page - http://www.casiberia.com/prod_New.aspx?cat=1000 -

some interesting things - the blunt practical Langmesser, a rondel dagger, and a baselard

Also, some new knives, including the Apache and Arapaho bowies - http://www.casiberia.com/prod_New.aspx?cat=6000 -

Of course, you will be able to find these elsewhere at a considerably lower price than the MSRP - http://www.kultofathena.com/pre-orders.asp

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Sun 16 Jan, 2011 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger,
Thanks for pointing this out. The rondel should be nice, with its t-shaped blade cross-section. The baselard, too.

I'm pretty curious about their new Crecy arming sword, which has a blade with a prominent reinforcing rib.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love January... holiday rush is over, new classes, snow, and new product announcements. Happy

The Cawood is one I could get excited about. With the return of several older models to MRL's lineup i was just thinking today how i would like to see their version of this sword come back.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I'm pretty curious about their new Crecy arming sword, which has a blade with a prominent reinforcing rib.

The Cluny has a sword with a very similar ridged blade that I saw when I was in Paris last summer. I'm happy to see Hanwei evolving like this. I'm also very interested in test cutting a sword like that. I also note that their scabbards are improving.

The Cawood is also interesting. A friend of mine has the Del Tin version of the same sword, but it isn't meant to be sharp so it's just spring steel and no difference in hardness for blade center and edge like the Hanwei cutting swords do.

Looks promising and pretty accurate except for the oddly sharp and straight fuller cut. I expect this could be modified though.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the langmesser from Therion Arms - http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1350.html -

It's interesting that the description mentions distal taper - not something one always finds on an inexpensive blunt.

In what time frame would the originals have been used?

Attachment: 53.82 KB
LANGMESSER.jpg
From Therion Arms
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am really excited that there will be a readily available blunt practice messer, something I've hoped for for a long time. My only concern is that at one ounce shy of three pounds, that messer is going to be a beast. Actually, my other concern is that it will be to rigid, which is my personal view of the hanwei non-tinker practical line.

As usual, Kult of Athena seems to have the best price on these, and they are available for pre-order already.

Ottawa Swordplay
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not normally a fan of pattern-welded blades, but the Saxon sword is beautiful.

The practical messer looks interesting to.

Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No one has mentioned the Rhinelander yet. What do you all think of that one?
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Simon G.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
No one has mentioned the Rhinelander yet. What do you all think of that one?

I think it's good to see more replicas of late longswords with complex hilts as these are interesting, beautiful (in my opinion) and far from being as well-covered as the earlier longswords.

However, judging from Hanwei's pics, this one doesn't seem to have the grace late longswords often have (at least the beautiful models such as those in the Wallace collection). The pommel seems too big and too unrefined, the grip looks like it's a bit too beefy too, the hilt is also very plain and doesn't seem that well executed...

Thus, as an amateur of (and on Razz ) late longswords, this one wouldn't interest me except perhaps at a huge bargain, as a project piece. As-is I feel that, at least as far as looks are concerned, there are better options out there. For instance - again judging only on looks as I have not handled either - I'd sooner order Windlass' "15th century longsword" (which really is more early 16th c.). The pommel and the waisted grip make it, IMHO, a more representative (and more beautiful) replica of a Renaissance longsword (although it is of course far from perfect regarding historical accuracy). OTOH, as usual, the blade on the Hanwei looks far better (and probably is far better) than the one on the Windlass... Now if someone offered a sword with Windlass' grip and Hanwei's blade, I'd order in a minute Worried
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some very interesting swords there, particularly the Crecy Arming Sword. overall I like the direction Hanwei are going in. I'm not so sure about the daggers though, they have a slightly toy-like appearance to me, but that might just be the pictures.
'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sign me up as one also interested in the Crecy sword.
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hehehe..call me weird,but the first thing that caught my eye was the lovely sword belt.It looks pretty tough,yet with a simple elegance about it. Anyone get a similar impression? Other than that,I was particularly attracted to the Saxon,as well as the Crecy.One thing that I've never really enjoyed about Hanwei is that their blades are almost TOO perfect in the asthetic department.In other words,no character.The Cawood is a good example.Oh well...such is the price of mass manufacturing.
Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
M van Dongen

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Shackleton wrote:
I am really excited that there will be a readily available blunt practice messer, something I've hoped for for a long time. My only concern is that at one ounce shy of three pounds, that messer is going to be a beast. Actually, my other concern is that it will be to rigid, which is my personal view of the hanwei non-tinker practical line.

As usual, Kult of Athena seems to have the best price on these, and they are available for pre-order already.

Ditto, but its seems both heavy and long compared to the extant samples. They could easily loose 2-3" from the blade and 1" from the grip (which would also lower weight ). I'm also not very partial to that guard style.
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've just placed a pre-order with KoA for the Hanwei "Cawood" Viking sword. I'm getting it for sentimental reasons , years ago, I used to belong to a medieval re-enactment society here Down Under. My first "sword" was one I helped forge and was based loosely on this particular sword. My sword was bloody crude, fullers all over the place, weak in the hilt, and it broke there a couple of times, got rewelded and finally held together Happy It was crude, nasty ..but it was *mine* ! Happy I used (abused??) it for many years before passing it down to another member. Now that I've seen the Cawood..I'm jumping at the chance to get another version of *my* sword Happy
This sure looks a lot more like a "real"sword than mine did Happy Can't wait for it to arrive Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Upcoming Models From Hanwei
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic