Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is this rapier ambidextrious Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jared Lambert

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Is this rapier ambidextrious         Reply with quote

Im looking at getting a practical rapier for my dad as a christmas present because he is interested in sca rapier however he is a lefty so finding an inexpensive one has been difficult. The guard on the hanwei practical looks like it can be used left or right handed does anyone have any experiece with this sword.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...Inch+Blade

I was thinking the 43 inch blade he is pretty tall 6'3"

any comment are greatly appreciated
Dan P

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have handled a similar model (the Torino) from Hanwei as well as their sidesword, and unless your hands are huge they are usable left handed. The problem is the guard won't give as much protection to the back of your hand.

Now that I think about it, Hanwei actually made a left-hand version of the Torino model at one point, as well as a blunt blade to fit that hilt.

Or you could try Alchem (http://www.alcheminc.com/) who make fencing stuff, they are pretty inexpensive though I've never tried them myself.
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The guard is not symmetric, so in the way you mean, no.

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Jared Lambert

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thank you for the speedy responses. I saw a left handed torino in a review but alas i cannot find it on any sites (yet)
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey you checked out James "the Just" Rapiers? http://www.jamesthejust.com/

His blades are popular down here in Tucson with the SCA rapier group and they seem to be resonably priced. Not sure what he has for left handed stuff. The stuff I have seen from him has been well made.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about the Hanwei practical cup hilt? - http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2261 -

I recommend looking at Darkwood Armory. They have some ambidextrous economy rapiers - more expensive than the Hanwei models, but also a better product - http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/index.php?main_...ucts_id=18

Pictured below, an even more expensive Darkwood Ring Hilt - the perfect ambidextrous rapier.

Darkwood Armory is the place where many WMA people get their rapiers.

Attachment: 22.45 KB
darkwood4.jpg
Darkwood Armory Ring Hilt
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this rapier ambidextrious         Reply with quote

Hanwei rapiers tend to be rather ill-balanced. I've heard them described as "tendinitis in a can." The saving grace is you can buy a heavier pommel from another vendor, since almost all of them use 6x1 metric threading. I'm not sure if American Fencing Supply still uses archaic, er customary unit threads.

I have not found Hanwei blades to be especially durable. Of the last two I bought, one lasted a month, the other lasted 10 months.

I second the recommendation to save up a bit more and get a Darkwood, James the Just or Alchem. If you really need a serviceable yet inexpensive rig in the near future, and don't mind some questionable aesthetics, you could look at Zen Warrior Armory.

Jim
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have fought with this rapier before,and I must disagree with Steve,it is definately ambidexterous.One of the highly experienced members of my historical fencing class fights brace (two swords)with a pair of these Hanweis,and believe me,he has no trouble using both of them Cool . I do agree that Hanwei does have some problems with balance ,particularly in their Practical line,but I have never seen a Hanwei blade have any durability problems.They keep their flex,are remarkably resistant to nicks,and I have yet to see one break.I know over a dozen happy Hanwei owners.Perhaps those that have had a bad experience with their blades simply haven't been using them the way they are meant to be used. WTF?! I personally prefer Zen Warrior Armory because the longer Hanwei blades tend to be a little too wippy.Yes,of course,Darkwood is much more desirable than either ,but it can't beat Hanwei's price for good starter weapon.
Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isaac H. wrote:
I have fought with this rapier before,and I must disagree with Steve,it is definately ambidexterous.

Sure, it can be held in other hand and used. The hilt is not symmetrical, as Steven mentioned. As such, if used as intended, it is not ambidextrous. Holding the sword in the left hand would have the rear guards facing forward. While certainly usable, this would not be correct.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Isaac H.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm...I'm not quite sure what Nathan means by "correct". Correct in what regard? Sure ,the rear guard is facing forward,but how is that incorrect?If my right hand is taken during a duel,will my opponent laugh at me and say that when I switch to my left that I am being "incorrect"? One can learn to use a sword no matter the position of the guard.He who stretches the versatality of his weapon the most stays alive the longest.

Such has been my experience.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isaac H. wrote:
Hmmm...I'm not quite sure what Nathan means by "correct". Correct in what regard? Sure ,the rear guard is facing forward,but how is that incorrect?If my right hand is taken during a duel,will my opponent laugh at me and say that when I switch to my left that I am being "incorrect"? One can learn to use a sword no matter the position of the guard.He who stretches the versatality of his weapon the most stays alive the longest.

Let's not make this more confusing that it needs to be. This is pretty clear considering that I supplied the appropriate context for my answer.

It's not how the sword was designed to be used. The rear guards are named because they are intended to be facing the back. The fore guards are named because they are to be positioned facing forward.

Can it be used with the left hand? Yes. Was it made to be used in the left hand? No. Can it cause damage in either hand? Of course.

A Smith and Wesson handgun can certainly be fired with both hands. It's an effective weapon in either hand. However, the position of the safety, release, and whatnot are placed so as to require separate versions made for left- and right-handed use.

Please take care not to confuse the members of this site into thinking that an asymmetrical hilt is the same in either hand. It is not. It's important for people to understand that some hilts are symmetrical and some are not and it's an important lesson to teach others how to identify the differences. The appropriate context has been provided in this topic. Confusing the issue with partial answers without context is simply not helpful.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Isaac H.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was not trying to confuse the issue here,I'm just providing a different,less orthodox,opinion.I hope that's ok with you,Mr. Robinson.Obviously,our viewpoints are quite different on this topic.I fully understand your views and agree that this is not an IDEAL sword for a lefty.Yet,if the guy really wanted this sword(thanks to this forum,I seriosly doubt that now) he COULD make it work.Perhaps it wouldn't be proper or correct,but the sword would still do its job.Please forgive me for thinking outside the perverbial box.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Our viewpoints are not different. In fact, I echoed your point within my own. I'm merely making sure the entire issue is described in context.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure that, throughout history,there have been many situations where Lefties have been forced to use right handed swords and were able to fight successfully with most of them. But I believe that, given the choice, they would have preferred to use a symmetrical or left handed sword that gave their hand more efficient protection

Slightly off topic -- Lefties have always had an advantage fighting Righties, because the latters' reflexes were keyed to fighting other Righties, and those were thrown off when engaging the lefthanders (who,of course were used to fighting all those Righties). Righthanders' revenge was watching two Lefties fight each other.
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The guard of the Hanwei practical rapier allows specific techniques that are extremely effective that cannot be done effectively with the left hand.

Lefties have an advantage in some circumstances against righties who are inexperienced at fighting lefties, but there is a also a fundamental geometrical difference in fighting someone the same handedness as you as fighting someone opposite handed. IMO, fighting someone of same handedness is safer for both parties and less likely to result in a double kill.

Ottawa Swordplay

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is this rapier ambidextrious
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic