Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Introducing myself Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bernard Delor

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Introducing myself         Reply with quote

Hello,

I haven't found any dedicated place for intrducing myself, I hope there will be no problem posting here.
I have just joined the forum. I am a french blacksmith and knife maker. I have great interest in oriental weapons, and in indian, persian, arabic, ottoman, or chinese arts and crafts.
First, I will probably be reading the contents of the forum, it seems to be very rich and interesting.
I am also moderator in the knife making part of a french professional metal craft forum.

See you later, and kind regards,

Bernard

Last edited by Bernard Delor on Mon 22 Nov, 2010 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wecome to the site and look at the Features Reviews Collections Albums Forums Books
as there is a great deal of content in addition to the Forums.

There is no official place to introduce oneself, and although it isn't a requirement, it is certainly appreciated. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bernard Delor

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Jean. Very interesting. I will need so much time to go through all of these contents !
J R Johnson

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Bernard. I hope you enjoy it here. Lots of good, knowledgeable folks here! Big Grin
Semper Paratus
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cher compatriote, bienvenue!

I've had a look at your website and found some very handsome work in there.

Enjoy the forum,

Julien
Bernard Delor

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many thanks to all of you. See you soon in the forum.

Kind regards.
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bernard,

you are very welcome here. Hope to see some postings and pictures of your knifes soon.

Best regards from Germany,

Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey there,Bernard.Welcome to myArmoury.Interesting to hear you are French,as I myself study and teach French rapier techniques Cool It's also great to hear that you are a blacksmith/bladesmith.Guys with do it yourself experience are resources for us all.I'll looking forward to reading your posts in the future. Big Grin
Cheers

Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
Bernard Delor

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again to all of you.

Isaac, it's fun to see how cultures still travel from one continent to the other, and you must know about french rapier, more than I do !
By the way, the "do it yourself" is not a "learn it yourself". I come from computer technology, and I had to learn everything about blacksithing and metal crafts. By chance, there is now a small number of blacksmith in France that are willing to share their knowledge and train other persons. This was much more difficult some years ago, but the blacksmithing art has come back to life, partly thank of the US custom knife revival. And people starting being bored of industrial soul-less objects also help !
I will be glad to share some advices and give help through the forum, as far as I can.

Kind regards
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bernard Delor wrote:
Thanks again to all of you.

Isaac, it's fun to see how cultures still travel from one continent to the other, and you must know about french rapier, more than I do !
By the way, the "do it yourself" is not a "learn it yourself". I come from computer technology, and I had to learn everything about blacksithing and metal crafts. By chance, there is now a small number of blacksmith in France that are willing to share their knowledge and train other persons. This was much more difficult some years ago, but the blacksmithing art has come back to life, partly thank of the US custom knife revival. And people starting being bored of industrial soul-less objects also help !
I will be glad to share some advices and give help through the forum, as far as I can.

Kind regards

For general advice you could P.M. some of the other makers ( Blacksmiths ) if you want to ask questions or ask for technical advice: Naturally not all will have the time or inclination to help and I can't speak for them.

A few people who might be helpful or might be interesting to contact are Michael Pikula in the U.S.A. , Antoine Marsal is French speaking and situated in Québec who forges knives and also François L' Archevêque, also from Québec, who is a great armourer.

http://antoinemarcal.wordpress.com/
http://www.flarcheveque.com/

Here is some work by Michael Pikula for a project of mine where you can find a discussion of the design and making as well as some progress pics:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...p;start=30

This very long Topic shows the making of my Partizan by Michael and some in progress pics of forging and at the very end pics of the finished Partizan. The is also a lot of the design work by me and Michael and comments from others about Partizan etc ....
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=16789&start=0

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Bernard Delor

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Jean. These posts are very interesting, in many ways.I hope I will have opportunities to discuss some technical topics with those guys. This is very professional work with "heavy" professional equipment (salt bath, BIG power hammer...). Not that common in France...
One thing that surprises me : it seems that most of your craftsmen are doing the whole work from A to Z, including metal work, wood, leather...etc. I prefer to keep some leading role for intricated project, but rely on some other craftsmen for specific parts I could hardly do by myself with sufficient level of quality. For example, I usually get help for leather work and steel engraving. Weapons engraving is a full time job, I gave up ! Same thing with leather, (I only keep special ray-skin work for myself because they are most of the times linked to unusual scabbards, like chinese eating sets). Other example : gold or silver leaf gilding..
Do you also have this kind of multi craftsmen projects or are they more likely to be a one man work ?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Introducing myself
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic