Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armour care Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Armour care         Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering if some one could help me, i'm getting some armour soon but I have very little information on how to take care of it. I've searched the internet but all I can find is information on sword care, if anyone could post a link, advice, tips or anything in relation to armour care, especially how much oil I should keep on it (if any) and what polish I should keep it at (mirror or satin finish?) I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

There are loads of threads on this topic here on myA - just do searches for 'care', 'rust', and so on. One product that many of us use is Renaissance Wax, available from various sellers on eBay and other sources. Happy hunting!
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip about ren wax mark, but I tried searching under those keywards but I didnt get anything relating to my needs, the most usefull were some threads about sword care. And im still confused as to what amount my armour should be polished, I like satin finish because I wont have to use chrome polish on it after I clean off rust but I dont know if thats historically accurate or not. Also are there instructions on the ren wax bottle as to how much I should use and how much to buff it and such?
"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Hinds wrote:
I like satin finish because I wont have to use chrome polish on it after I clean off rust but I dont know if thats historically accurate or not.

As an aside, have you checked out this topic?

Evidence of mirror polished armour

Interesting stuff.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert:

Here are a few threads to get you started:

'Why mineral oil stinks'
'Need help with cleaning rust off weapons and armour'
'Plate Armour care ideas needed'
'Caring for your harness/weapons'

Here's a quick list of various treatments people recommend - apart from providing a list of things to research the pros and cons about, this will give you a list of keywords to use in searches!:

Renaissance Wax (often called 'Ren Wax', 'RenWax', or even 'Renwax' in posts)
    Break-Free CLP (often typed in as 'Breakfree' - used by many folks here)
    Fluid Film (available from John Deere, and recommended a few times here by James Arlen Gillaspie)
    Flitz Gun/Stock Wax (recommended by Patrick Kelly)
    Olive oil / olive oil and beeswax (recommended here by Bruno Giordan and Rod Walker)
    Ballistol
    Remoil
    Car wax
    Choji oil
    Sentry Solutions Tuf Cloth (which has its own oil formulation, but they say to use mineral oil when it dries out)
    ACF-50 (Anti-Corrosion Formula)
    3-in-1
    Barricade
    Sno-Seal / SnowSeal / Snow Seal.

Some folks here avoid some of the synthetic oils, especially if they have a cleaning function, as some formulations can damage leather strapping - hence the preference for Sno-Seal, olive oil / olive oil and beeswax, and Renaissance Wax.

Things often NOT recommended include Brasso and WD40.

As for polishing first, along with searches for 'rust', look for 'sanding pads', 'rust eraser', 'steel wool', 'Scotch Brite / ScotchBrite pads', and 'Flitz'. Michal Plezia here even uses loofa sponges ... it would be great to know if they were used in period! I'll let you do those searches yourself! Big Grin As you've already seen, much of the useful info will also be in threads about sword care.

If you're looking at blueing and blackening, there are also a few threads on that here. One product a few of us have used is Caswell's Black Oxide Kit, which makes it easy to do your own blackening. (I had mixed results, but that could have been poor surface prep on my part.)

Oh, and the inside of armour - helmets included - should be painted ... that cuts down your work by half!

Finally, if you also want info about cleaning mail, this thread contains a post where I gave URLs to the main threads here in myA: 'Stainless vs Mild Steel Mail'

Enjoy!

Mark T
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark very useful compilation of useful Topic threads and enough info given about each link to have an idea about what they are about before " clicking " on them to go see if they answer one's questions.

I've been here " forever ", or at least it seems so, and even I find it useful to go follow up these tips about armour or arms maintenance. Wink Big Grin Cool

These kind of replies are also very useful for all of us and not just the person asking the question(s) and is not only useful but really really going the extra mile helping other members here, new or long-time members. Happy Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaargh! so many different options its confusing!

So far im considering break free and renwax...not sure how easily I can obtain the break free tho.

I was planning a special trip to my state capital today to pick up some renwax before my jack chains arrived but I dont know now...guess i'll swing by the hardware store or wal-mart before I leave and check if they have it.

Thanks mark for the links, it's helped me alot...and simultainiasly made me more confused..lol.

Availablity for me is a big issue, its a big hassle to order anything so i'd prefer to use something that is easily obtainable or easy to make, what sort of places would sell products like break free or ballistol?

I also considered the bee's wax/olive oil home made stuff due to it's inexpensiveness, does anyone know how well that holds up if a weapon or armor is actually used for WMA?...or random small tree destruction...?

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Hinds wrote:
Aaargh! so many different options its confusing!

So far im considering break free and renwax...not sure how easily I can obtain the break free tho.

Break -Free: Any Gun Store should have it.

Renaissance wax: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...e+Wax+65ml

Kult of Athena is a very reliable vendor with great customer service and Renaissance wax is not something you will find easily in a store, but some woodworking and tool places may also have it.

Shipping is usually very fast if it's in stock, and when they say it's in stock, it really is in stock. ( You get an autiomatic e-mail notification when your order is shipped as well as the tracking number, usually within two days of ordering ).

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/renaissancewax.aspx

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh kool, thanks jean. Happy

Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the "Break-Free CLP" is a winchester product? They sell it at my wal-mart but its made by winchester...just want to make sure I buy the right one.

Also does anyone know if break free or remoil is harmfull to leather?

I think I remember someone mentioned that break free also will remove blueing applied to armour and weapons, can anyone confirm this? And does remoil do the same? Or is it safe to use on blued armour?

sorry for the many questions, but I really want to pick the right stuff to put on my armour. Happy

And thank you for all the help everyone has given me so far, it's really nice having a place to come and ask questions that I wouldn't be able to get answers for anywhere else.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armour care
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic