Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new rapier - Espada de Conchas. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dmitry Z~G

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: My new rapier - Espada de Conchas.         Reply with quote

Hello, colleagues.
I just acquired this Spanish espada de conchas ca.1670, and wanted to share some photos with you. Any input and questions are appreciated and welcome.
The front shell has a stylized depiction of the Spanish Lion, in a typical, almost abstract style [Picasso didn't really invent it300 years later]. Blade is 101 cm long, sword weighs 935 gr.
Blade is marked Tomas DAiala, but was not made by this famous Toledo swordsmith. As is well known, Ferrara, Piccinino, Aiala, etc., became trade names, and a sign of alleged quality.
Hopefully the detailed photos of the hilt will help better understand the construction of it.

Attachment: 42.74 KB
IMG_5893.JPG

Attachment: 108.34 KB
IMG_5894.JPG

Attachment: 206.81 KB
IMG_5895.JPG

Attachment: 126.02 KB
IMG_5896.JPG

Attachment: 163.29 KB
IMG_5899.JPG

Attachment: 125.36 KB
IMG_5900.JPG

Attachment: 58.94 KB
IMG_5905.JPG

Attachment: 77.47 KB
IMG_5906.JPG

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a fine piece, indeed. Is the grip original or a replacement?

One feature that's always intrigued me about this style is the extreme width of the quillons. How wide are they on this piece?

Thank you for sharing it with us.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Markus A

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

are you sure its not an dud.the inner bowls do look very strange in nregards to the corrosion.that looks from the pics very soft and messy not like the corrosion building up pver years.the pommel is odd too
want not spoil your joy.but if you post it i think you are open for others oppinion
i am not after to make fuzz i collected 20 years and handled may edged weapons the grips spidula is very bulgy not so elegant as it is on orginals
this looks odd
cheers
Dmitry Z~G

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I appreciate your comments regarding the sword. I'd like to believe that I've done all the due due diligence I had to do, before pulling the trigger. For photos and descriptions of multiple examples of this type of hilt, refer to the recent book by Vicente Toledo Momparler - Espadas Espanolas. This book is highly recommended, and is very expensive.
The on-line resource of outstanding quality, deling with various Spanish arms is Juan Calvo's website.
Below is the section dealing with the swords of the type I purchased.
http://www.catalogacionarmas.com/public/35-GuerraSucesion.pdf

I do agree on the cleanliness, which may appear deceiving, and for some people, off-putting. I,too, prefer an aged patina.

Markus A wrote:
.the pommel is odd too

Please elaborate on what you meant by 'odd'? This is probably the most common shape for the pommel for the swords of this style.
Dmitry Z~G

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
That's a fine piece, indeed. Is the grip original or a replacement?

One feature that's always intrigued me about this style is the extreme width of the quillons. How wide are they on this piece?

Thank you for sharing it with us.

I looked closely, and the grip wrapping it a good replacement. When in doubt, a good test is to poke between the wires with a thin needle, and see if any dirt comes out. Also, when holding the sword, you will feel immediately whether the wires feel sharp. Age gives them smoothness.
The quillons are 34 cm. long from one finial to the other. I'm not a fencer, and would appreciate if someone had shown how having such long quillons really worked, and whether it was a useful feature.
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey there,I am a fencer,(a historical fencer),and i fight with and against swords fashioned in similar styles as this weapon.Although it is oftentimes circumstantial,having long quillons can be VERY useful.When you drop your blade from an on gaurd to make a lowline parry,the long quillons prevent your opponent from being able to make a fast coupe over the hilt .Also,the extra length makes it very easy to put your enemy's blade in a bind by simply twisting your wrist.I know there are more specific examples but those are two that came to mind. In general, long quillons enhance both your offensive and defensive capabilities in a duel. You won't catch me fighting without quillons of decent length Happy Wink

Anyways, that is a superbly awesome rapier you have acquired. Back to my studies..... Cheers.

Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new rapier - Espada de Conchas.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic