Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Deadliest Warrior -The Movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Michael K Wislon

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Deadliest Warrior -The Movie         Reply with quote

just when you thought it couldn't get worse, a big screen movie version.

http://www.spike.com/blog/deadliest-warrior-is/99844

History will never be the same or accurate
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sad thing is that compared to many movies it might actually be more accurate. The main problem will be in their claims to be completely accurate. The layperson won't know any better.

There's also a video game if you didn't know.
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: deadliest warrior         Reply with quote

oh...dear...god. You know that movie will have the most backwards plot to be seen. Im trying to imagine how they would have the knight meet up the pirate *facepalm*. It hurts my head even thinking about it!
Lucas Simms

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope they put a space marine against a cave man.
Lucas
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

historicaly accurate - or not - i like it.
its very amusing, and thats what i`m looking for, when watching such stuff.
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Deadliest Warrior -The Movie         Reply with quote

*facepalm*

My biggest problem with his show is that people think it's completely accurate! Several times I've been dicussing historical arms with a friend and some one will come up (usually someone around 13 years of age) and tell us we're wrong. When I ask them for sources they tell me "Deadliest Warrior" proved such and such.

It can really get on one's nerves after a while.

Attachment: 24.58 KB
[ Download ]

Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, a facepalm indeed.
Here, let me join you.

Attachment: 85.51 KB
128101032494.jpg
Basicaly...

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah I found the testing to be interesting but the conclusions were just STUPID... these guys are supposed to be smart for crying out loud!!! How on earth do you show that your military equipment is better in every case than the opponent's gear then loose. Show made 0 sense when it came to a logical conclusion. OF course the flawed computer program they use is only as flawed as he who created it...

I'll have to pass on this movie I think... I am not sure I could handle it any further.

RPM
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps they will get smart and hire Mike Loades as the weapon/armour consultant....nah, that might actually give some validity to the outcome of the fights.
Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyone wanna picket the premier with me?
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From the link provided in the OP:
Quote:
It’s official, dudes. [...] This is so epic.

The salutation and closing lines alone should be enough evidence as to whom this film is directed. I've already wasted enough time responding.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Deadliest Warrior -The Movie         Reply with quote

A. Spanjer wrote:
*facepalm*

My biggest problem with his show is that people think it's completely accurate! Several times I've been discussing historical arms with a friend and some one will come up (usually someone around 13 years of age) and tell us we're wrong. When I ask them for sources they tell me "Deadliest Warrior" proved such and such.

It can really get on one's nerves after a while.

I come across that all the time! I perform with my living history group at our local fair and almost always someone interrupts me discussing the weapons and armour telling me that I'm wrong because of what they saw on Deadliest Warrior!

And for some reason when on that topic they love to say that so and so warrior could kick our asses >_<. Once I tell ppl that the show is inaccurate they get defensive about it. I try to educate ppl about how it really was and they don't wanna hear it from me, but from Deadliest Warrior. Its really frustrating
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: deadliest warrior         Reply with quote

Josh MacNeil wrote:
Anyone wanna picket the premier with me?

haha! that would be great! I can just imagine a ton of guys in armour protesting lol
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reece: When they start getting annoying, just invite them into the ring and see how long their learned 1337 sklillz are then Laughing Out Loud
Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Moses Jones

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the show is entertaining, but lacking teeth. I watch it when it's on, but I don't have the air time marked on the calender. Anytime a show puts Western Martial Arts in the spot light sometimes can't be all bad.
Douglas S

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd Clark wrote:
Perhaps they will get smart and hire Mike Loades as the weapon/armour consultant....nah, that might actually give some validity to the outcome of the fights.

I am confident that Mr. Loades is smart enough to stay away from something like that. Happy
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 18 Sep, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my opinion there is one good thing about this show. Despite poor quality of the tests an average person can see that old weapons weren't toys but deadly tools, and armour is not a costium that is easily penetrated by everything like on hollywood movies.
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Tony Brass

PostPosted: Sat 18 Sep, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Shovel vs. Katana         Reply with quote

The biggest problem with the show is that they only evaluate destructive power, and give very little weight to balance, handling, and maneuverability of a weapon. You could put a shovel up against a katana, and the shovel may well win.

I could just see the slow motion footage of a big man swinging a shovel at a dummy's skull and crushing it, and then the experts going on about what an amazing weapon it is.

Virtually any heavy object could deal a deadly blow. I could kill a man with a crock-pot if he stood still, but could a win a fight with one?
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Sat 18 Sep, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Shovel vs. Katana         Reply with quote

Tony Brass wrote:
The biggest problem with the show is that they only evaluate destructive power, and give very little weight to balance, handling, and maneuverability of a weapon. You could put a shovel up against a katana, and the shovel may well win.

I could just see the slow motion footage of a big man swinging a shovel at a dummy's skull and crushing it, and then the experts going on about what an amazing weapon it is.

Virtually any heavy object could deal a deadly blow. I could kill a man with a crock-pot if he stood still, but could a win a fight with one?

One of the most valid points I have heard/read about the show. When they do the destructive tests, is it just me who sees way too much windup? They talk about the finesse and speed of the ninja, but in the destructive test, the swordsman winds up like he's swinging a baseball bat. You wind up like that and, SHWING, your opponent hits your defenseless side without difficulty. Fight over.

As to the movie, it may have a few redeeming qualities that make it a stepping stone for those genuinely interested in martial combat. If it is like the show, they will have good points, major bad points, and fights that fail to show the actual tactics of the fighters.

Seek Honor before Wealth,
Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will wait until the the movie is on DVD, then I may rent it, with friends and a question of how much alcohol must be ingested to make all the way through to end where the caveman with a really big shovel kills the space-marine

Perhaps we could have a poll: Blood alcohol content required to watch film...

Mackenzie

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Deadliest Warrior -The Movie
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: