Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How well does a war sword cut? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: How well does a war sword cut?         Reply with quote

Having received my Baron and done some tameshigiri cutting with it I decided to move on to the next step and try it on some real meat. I have always wanted to do this with my katanas but have not done so. My wife said I may as well get it out of my system Labor Day. We bought a a 25 lb brisket with a lot of grissle, set up the camera, laid down a plastic sheet and prepared to shoot. I would say that the Albion Baron cut very nicely although I looked none too good at it.

Here is the link for the video of the cutting session:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6RpMBLb62Y

Hope everyone likes it.

Regards,

Harry

To Study The Edge of History

Last edited by Harry J. Fletcher on Mon 06 Sep, 2010 8:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neat!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scary impressive even if your cutting style is a bit ineffective. Wink Big Grin Cool

I'm far from experienced in actual cutting myself but I do have 4 to 5 years of longsword practice and mostly you are just using arm strength to try to power the sword through the meat and don't use your body mass efficiently: A cut using a passing step would help a great deal but I would be careful with a sharp until you got the motion sorted out as I think you sort of almost lost your balance during one cut.

I'm sure a cutting expert like Michael Edelson could in ten minutes with you improve your cutting efficiency by 10X or chime in and break down the details of your body dynamics in much more detail that I can.

As a general comment you did seem a little tense and uncomfortable being aware that a sharp has to be handled carefully and being relaxed usually is much better with cutting. ( Oh, and as the target got smaller, lost chunks, your aim seemed to improve ).

Just think of it as golf or tennis or baseball and that being over tense and stiff doesn't help your swing.

Hope this doesn't sound over critical and is only meant as useful friendly feedback. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hehe. every swordsman dreams to do this.
but what happened to the poor slices of meat afterwards ? i suppose there was no barbequeu, as most missed the plastic.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gottfried P. Doerler wrote:
hehe. every swordsman dreams to do this.
but what happened to the poor slices of meat afterwards ? i suppose there was no barbequeu, as most missed the plastic.

I would guess that a little washing with water and then cooking would take care of any dirt or germs assuming the cut of meat was decent to start with i.e. not so much gristle as to be a better cutting victim than a meal ?

Or boiled for stock for some sort of stew or soup ? Making me hungry anyway: Just about anything food related does that for me. Razz

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Harry J. Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Making the cut         Reply with quote

Hi Jean, yes, I need a lot more practice on meat cutting. The target was hanging too low and I was trying not to step on the plastic sheet...oh well...excuses..excuses...I do cut a lot better with a katana on tameshigiri though. As you pointed out I mostly power the cuts with my arms using the Baron which I felt when I cut tameshigiri with it as I felt more resistance when I cut thru the target.

The meat was gathered up and washed by my wife and is now safely frozen in the freezer but I suspect it is going to be some tough eating ( more excuses).

Regards,

Harry

Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Making the cut         Reply with quote

Hi Harry,
Harry J. Fletcher wrote:
The target was hanging too low

One possible solution to this problem (in my experience) is to bend your legs instead of stooping forward. This will improve your balance and stability too when dealing with low targets...

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That would be one awesome BBQ! I have been able to some similar test cutting and it was a blast... we threw the meat on a grill nearly as soon as it was cut off and washed.

Thanks for the video! Looks like it was fun and you have to thank you wife for us for allowing you to make the video for us to see.

RPM
Harry J. Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Vincent, comment ca va?

Yes, bending at the knees would have helped but I suspect as you so politely didn't mention is that my balance is offset by the rather large amount of stomach on me which I am getting started on reducing and should help tremendously once it has been trimmed down somewhat. I guess this is a symtom of getting older which you younger men will learn soon enough. But thank you for the kind observation.

Hi Randal,

A BBQ sounds great but I have to forgo that option for now as mentioned above. Sounds like you had a backyard cutting party and lots of fun as these things tend to be.

Regards,

Harry

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How well does a war sword cut?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic