Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Early Partizan Spear project for Jean Thibodeau Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 02 Nov, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Yippee Big Grin , finally out of Canada Customs so now it's waiting the usual day or two for it to get from Customs to sorting centre to the delivery truck: Wasn't expecting any problems at Customs but it's always in the back of one's mind that some delay(s) might happen for errors in paperwork reasons or a bureaucratic "glitch " happening. Wink Waiting, It's all part of the fun.Razz

It's like crossing the border one always seem to feel anxious or guilty even when one has nothing to hide. Eek! WTF?!

Oh, I can now type in the tracking number from memory. Sad Blush Wink Laughing Out Loud

... just a curious thought here, and pardon the negativity, or what may seem like an attempt to
dampen your excitement ... and maybe its just my own paranoia ...

As much as one can be a very trusting soul, I've taken the precaution in the past to not divuldge
too much information ( locations, whereabouts, what's happening etc etc ) when precious cargo
is being shipped my way. Specially when I know it might be a week or more, and not just mere
days, before the package hits my porch.

Here's crossed fingers and a prayer to all saints involved that your project finds its way into your
hands safe and sound.

( Note, this comment is NOT meant to throw dispersions on anyone. I've known other victims, and
been victimized myself ... Its just maybe worth remembering there ARE those out there who, sadly,
don't always wish us well. )
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 02 Nov, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

.... calling customs now... Please reroute package to Chris Artman... thanks in advance Razz
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 02 Nov, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
[
... just a curious thought here, and pardon the negativity, or what may seem like an attempt to

As much as one can be a very trusting soul, I've taken the precaution in the past to not divuldge
too much information ( locations, whereabouts, what's happening etc etc ) when precious cargo
is being shipped my way. Specially when I know it might be a week or more, and not just mere

Here's crossed fingers and a prayer to all saints involved that your project finds its way into your
hands safe and sound.

( Note, this comment is NOT meant to throw dispersions on anyone. I've known other victims, and
been victimized myself ... Its just maybe worth remembering there ARE those out there who, sadly,

Well anything is possible but I would worry more about shipping accidents like a crushed shipping box than thieving of a premeditated targetted kind i.e. because of too much info given out. Wink

By the way in Montreal there are probably 1000 Thibodeau(s) in the phone book it's a bit like being named John Smith. Wink Laughing Out Loud

In any case the delivery guys at Canada Post never just leave big or expensive packages at the door if one isn't home in an urban setting and they wouldn't just leave the package at the neighbours house next door which I have read happening in some sad shipping SNAFU(s).

( Edited for typos and clarety 10:51 P.M. my local time )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 02 Nov, 2009 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 02 Nov, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
[

hands safe and sound.

Well anything is possible but I would worry more about shipping accidents like a crushed shipping box than thieving of a premeditated targetted kind i.e. too much info given out. Wink

By the way in Montreal there are probably 1000 Thibodeau(s) in the phone book it's a bit like being named John Smith. Wink Laughing Out Loud

In any case the delivery guys at Canada Post never just leave big or expensive packages at the door if one isn't home in an urban setting and they wouldn't just leave the package at the neighbours hose next door which I have read happening in some sad shipping SNAFU(s).

Darn you Jean! There goes my plan to drive up to Montreal tonight to try and intercept it. Sad Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait to help defend that bridge with you to see it. Either that or someday see it at a big myArmoury get together!

All kidding aside. I am looking forwards to a hands on review from you on the partisan. I am thinking of having an early glaive made and after seeing this Michael is at the top of my list. That and other reasons that will be revealed soon! Cool

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:

All kidding aside. I am looking forwards to a hands on review from you on the partisan. I am thinking of having an early glaive made and after seeing this Michael is at the top of my list. That and other reasons that will be revealed soon! Cool

Scott

It here and it exceeds the already high expectations: Looks even better " in person " than in the already great pics that Michael took for this Topic. Big Grin Cool

Will have some interesting things to write about it I think later tonight or in the next couple of days.

Just a teaser: The handling is superb. Big Grin Surprised Not that I wasn't expecting it to be good handling but it's awesome !

Anyway, Scott, if you do choose Michael to make a polearm for you it won't just be " a pretty face " it's going to handle the way you would want if your life depended on it, i.e. a real weapons grade polearm and not just a show piece ..... although it will also be aesthetically pleasing.

Anyway, didn't get much sleep last night so I have to make this short and get a few hours sleep/nap before my Staff and Polearm class tonight ...... yes, I actually train with quarterstaff as my Longsword group also offers classes with polearms.

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am glad to hear that it arrived safe and sound Jean. I am also looking forwards to hearing a detailed review of it when you have a chance.

I also have to say job well done to Michael. I look forward to seeing more of your work as time goes by. Hopefully a few pieces will end up in my collection!

Scott

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

O.K. here are my initial impressions and although fairly complete I may come back to it and add things that I may notice later or forget to mention now as there are so many ways to review this piece: Aesthetics, handling, design intelligence, tactical theoretical use and maybe other things I might forget to cover.

No pics but then go back to the pics that Micheal posted a couple of pages back as they are very representative of what I see in front of me i.e. no hidden flaws that one can see when in hand compared to the pics ..... YES, it look as this good and even BETTER in hand.

First a few statistics:

Weight: 4 Lbs 9 oz.
Total length: 82 1/2 "
Length of head + socket: 19 1/2"
Main blade length: 13 3/8"
Width of main blade at the shoulders/base: 3"
Width 2" from the point where it becomes a triangular point: 1 1/4"
Width of wings: 5 3/8"
Length of short languettes: 7 1/8"
Length long languettes: 15"
Haft diameter flat to flat: 1 1/4"
Haft diameter corner to corner octagonal section: 1 1/2"

POB: 50 " from butt end, 32 1/2" from point, just on the last inch or two of the long languettes.
Hand at the POB or just below the languettes for a little more presence seems ideal.

Wings sharp on slanted back toward the butt, convex appleseed with no secondary bevel.
Main blade is also sword like appleseed with only a hint of a secondary final sharpening bevel, VERY sharp over most of the main edge except for the first inch or so of blade above the shoulder: Only a bit less sharp and transitioning to very sharp gradually. ( Sword/paper cutting sharp, borderline hair popping sharp but with a robust edge geometry ).

Triangular point slightly less sharp for a very sturdy durable point.

Blade thickness fairly thin on the flats with a gradual convex curve to the edges, the very thick central ridge makes the blade very strong but still light for it's size.

The ridge is very thick over the cut out between the wings and the main blade, so the cut out does not represent a weakened area of the design. The corners are subtlety but definitely radiused ( No stress risers ).

The blade is overall light for it's impressive/scary size, but has some substantial meat where it needs strength and is nowhere too thin or light for heavy use.

Distal taper in both the flats of the main blade and with the central ridge, but the ridge remains stout to the triangular point.

Very robust but efficient/optimum distribution of mass where it needs to be strong but light enough and thin enough to optimize cutting and penetration.

The whole spear point makes me thinks of a well designed sword when it comes to distal taper and efficiency.

Handling is superb as it almost feels like a plain wooden staff half it's weight in motion i.e. it floats, it should be lightning fast in use.

Sharp enough that even a light drawcut would be devastating yet strong enough to be able to take heavy use.

The balance is still towards the blade side so that cuts would have real power but it's not axe like or halberd like in presence, it sort of reminds me more of a rapier in handling as a precision instrument and not a blunt force polearm.

The wings are multifunctional: The flat unsharpened front is good for parrying.
The points of the wings can act as sharpened single mace flange and should be able to pierce, hook or tear.

Hooking behind a knee, elbow or neck, side of body seems like other tactical uses it could do well.
Also, the sharpened sloped back edges could also discourage and counter a grab on the spear half by an opponent, or at least make it very risky !

The finish is uniformly flawless, all ridges/bevels are sharp and perfectly strait: Zero, ripples or waves in the finish.

Oh, and again, scary sharp. Eek! Big Grin

The octagonal haft is nicely oiled finished and the languettes are perfectly inletted into the wood but left slightly proud but with comfortably rounded edge on the languettes. The octagonal haft gives a great feel in handling and edge orientation.

The haft seems very strong and rigid and with a nice strait wood grain.

The butt plate is also perfectly fitted and give a strong striking surface, protects the end of the haft and just plain looks great.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to mention that the spear came in it's own handcrafted wooden box with a sliding cover that could be used for storage or one could use it for display.

This box is the same in principle than the one Michael makes for the spear head I got and the one offered as a prize here for the last fund raising drive: The same but much much longer. Wink Laughing Out Loud

So the attention to detail includes a sturdy and very well made shipping/storage/display box.

For those who for some unknowable reason haven't seen what I'm talking about here is the link:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17330

Oh, can't find any flaws in the spear to nit pick even if I as inclined to nit pick.

Already thinking of what my next project with Michael might be: Thinking some form of Cinquedea with a blade similar to the spear blade i.e. very wide blade with a prominent mid ridge about 18" long ....... Wink Big Grin

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,
It sounds like you did a great job on this project for Jean. Having seen some of the other customs on here that Jean has I know he has not only good taste but also a real feel for these things. Congratulations!

Jean,
All I can say is that you are one lucky person. I have to say that I am envious of what you have.

I also have to admit that in part because of your experience with Michael on this project that I am currently working with him on one of my own. Not a pole arm yet. That will come after he more than likely makes a large dagger,shortsword for my wife! No, I am having him work on a sword for me. Big Grin

Scott

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Michael,

Jean,
All I can say is that you are one lucky person. I have to say that I am envious of what you have.

I am having him work on a sword for me. Big Grin

Scott

Well. thanks for the kind words but I think it depends on how you want to define luck ! Luck in being able to afford having a few very special pieces made every year I would say yes, but there is no luck involved except in having found some great makers like Michael and a few select others to make some of my designs and many times improving on the designs in ways I didn't expect. Wink Happy

If it was only luck to " blame/credit " I guess a spear like this would show up at my door because the shipping of someone else's project got " FUBAR-ed " and I had nothing to do like design it, order it and pay for it. Wink Big Grin Cool ( Joking in case it isn't obvious ).

Oh, and my dagger project has been " initiated " and Michael is doing some design and research about it: This time I'm only giving general specifications and suggestions and going the No to very little micromanaging route and letting Michael work out the details and aesthetics.

Scott let us know how your project is going or have Michael start a Topic on the making of your piece. Wink

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 08 Nov, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:
Michael,

Jean,

I am having him work on a sword for me. Big Grin

Scott

Well. thanks for the kind words but I think it depends on how you want to define luck ! Luck in being able to afford having a few very special pieces made every year I would say yes, but there is no luck involved except in having found some great makers like Michael and a few select others to make some of my designs and many times improving on the designs in ways I didn't expect. Wink Happy

If it was only luck to " blame/credit " I guess a spear like this would show up at my door because the shipping of someone else's project got " FUBAR-ed " and I had nothing to do like design it, order it and pay for it. Wink Big Grin Cool ( Joking in case it isn't obvious ).

Oh, and my dagger project has been " initiated " and Michael is doing some design and research about it: This time I'm only giving general specifications and suggestions and going the No to very little micromanaging route and letting Michael work out the details and aesthetics.

Scott let us know how your project is going or have Michael start a Topic on the making of your piece. Wink

You are correct Jean. What I should have said is that you are very fortunate to be in a position to be able to do this. Of course looking back over this year I have to say that I have done pretty well in the pieces I have been able to pick up including one custom piece. Adding to that the fact that Michael has started making my latest custom.

I talked with Michael today and your dagger came up in the conversation. I also talked with him about a few other projects I would like to have him create for me. Of course the main reason I spoke with him was in regards to my sword. He is making a XIIIb for me. I have to say that from what I have seen so far it is coming along great. The sword has been heat treated and the flexibility is phenomenal. I will wait though until the project is done and start my own post about it. After all, this is about the great work that Michael did for Jean and not what he is working on for me.

Scott

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 08 Nov, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
After all, this is about the great work that Michael did for Jean and not what he is working on for me.

Scott

Yes, but it's also aTopic thread to promote Michael's work. Wink Cool

You could start a Topic on it as a review when it's finished but if you let or ask Michael to start a new Topic thread showing the progress of the piece from design to finished product on the " Makers and Manufacturers Forum ", well the one you are reading this on: The reason for this is that according to Forum rules makers can market and promote their work on this Forum but can't on the other Forums as this would be " Spamming ", so on this Forum he could comment while on a Topic on another of the Forums it could cross the line into spam amd his commenting would be limited.

I'm sort of encouraging this kind of Topic because i wouldn't mind following the progress of other peoples' projects. Wink Big Grin

Anyway, maybe I should wait until and/or if I have more comments about the partisan before I post another comment as we are drifting into being off Topic.

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 08 Nov, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree about promoting Michael's work. When I spoke with him today I brought up the idea of starting a thread about my sword. One of his concerns about doing it was overloading the forum with it. He also said that he would prefer to post finished projects which I understand. I am also sure that Nathan would not mind having band width taken up. As much as I would like to have my project spot lighted I am content with just doing that with the finished project.

I would like to say this, for those who have looked at Michael for a project you will not regret picking Michael. I do not have a finished project in hand, but I was able to see and hold the heat treated blade today. It is everything I was looking for with this project! It also does not hurt that Michael is very knowledgable and easy to speak with. As well as being passionate about his work. Just wait to send in your orders until I have at least 2 more made. Please? Wink

Scott

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Early Partizan Spear project for Jean Thibodeau
Page 6 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: