Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for Makers of Pattern Welded Sword Blades Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Looking for Makers of Pattern Welded Sword Blades         Reply with quote

I am contemplating having a Behmer Type V sword (basically like Albion’s old OOP Kragehul Bog sword) made, but with a pattern welded rather than mono-steel blade. Therefore, I am looking for a maker who can perform the following:

1. Construct a reasonably historically correct blade with a pattern welded core and a separate steel edge welded on (the actual metals used and exact pattern of the core is open to discussion)

2. Incorporate multiple fullers in the blade, from 2 to 6 seems to be the historical norm, per Behmer.

3. Be willing to make me just the blade, as I will hilt it myself (though I might entertain a fully hilted sword depending on the maker and their talents; see discussion below).

4. Able to get it done in a reasonable time frame (no more than ~12 months or so)

Here are the makers I’m aware of off the top of my head (I know there are others, but these come readily to mind):

Jim Hrisoulas
Jake Powning
Patrick Barta
Craig Sitch (Manning Imperial)
Paul Binns

Now, while I know Hrisoulas is up to the challenge, he does not sell bare blades (and in all honesty I’m not impressed with his hilt work from a historical accuracy POV). Powning does great work, but his short swords cost over $8K which is priced not only out of my range, but out of orbit. Patrick Barta is an interesting choice - he is the only exception that I know of presently that I would entrust the entire project to, including the hilt. And while his prices are high, they are well in line with superb quality of the end product. Unfortunately, with a waiting list on the order of three years (as I recall), the world will end in 2012 before I get my masterpiece! Kidding, of course, but that is too long a wait, alas.

So that leaves me with Craig and Paul, and I have sent enquiries to both. However, is there anyone else out there that might be worth investigating? I’d actually prefer to work with someone here in the US, if only to avoid issues dealing with overseas shipping and our continually deteriorating USD$ exchange rate (though I’d consider other foreign makers anyway, but I would give a “competitive advantage” to a domestic maker). But apart from the aforementioned, I’m really not aware of any other US makers that can do what I need. I am certain that there must be, but I don’t know who they are.

Suggestions?
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that Michael Pikula would be a good choice; here is his website: http://volundforge.com/

I don't know whether or not he would make a bare blade for sale or not, but his work is excellent, he's in the US, and he's a member of this forum.

Shane Allee may also worth an e-mail. He does great work, specializing in around your time period (I think). Here is his website: http://www.ironagearmoury.com/lisnacrogher.html

Again, I don't know if he does bare blades for sale, but it's worth an e-mail.

Good luck!

www.addisondelisle.com
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula, aka Volund Forge
He has a website www.volundforge.com it isn't a fully finished website and doesn't have much of his newer stuff. He is one of the absolute best makers around. I currently have a pattern-welded Peterson type V on commision with hilt inlay. I would do a forum search for pictures of his work and perhaps send him a PM.

Paul Binns
I have a pattern-welded seax and sword set by him, blades only as I will hilt them myself. The blades are briliant, and made with 16th century bloomery iron. He is in England and has a year long waiting list, so it can be a time consuming process.

Patrick Barta
I owned a pattern-welded blade by him for one day, then got an offer and re-sold it. Brilliant work as well, absolute top notch. Three year plus waiting list though.

My suggestion would be Michael Pikula.
Best,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est

Last edited by Hadrian Coffin on Tue 29 Sep, 2009 4:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Antonio Lamadrid

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From Europe:

http://www.kp-art.fi/jt/index_eng.html
http://www.owenbush.co.uk/
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh I'm no where close to doing pattern welding yet.

I would say that it might be hard to meet all of your needs and you may have to slide on one or two. Don't know of Craig at Manning Imperial is taking orders, but if he isn't you likely won't hear back from him until he is taking them again. I don't understand the logic there, but that is how he has done things in the past. Might also be hard to keep him locked in on a price quote as well.

Another person you might want to talk with is Kevin Cashen. He has studied this period very very well. Don't have any clue about his current wait time, prices, or anything like that though.

Shane
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:
Oh I'm no where close to doing pattern welding yet.

I would say that it might be hard to meet all of your needs and you may have to slide on one or two. Don't know of Craig at Manning Imperial is taking orders, but if he isn't you likely won't hear back from him until he is taking them again. I don't understand the logic there, but that is how he has done things in the past. Might also be hard to keep him locked in on a price quote as well.

Another person you might want to talk with is Kevin Cashen. He has studied this period very very well. Don't have any clue about his current wait time, prices, or anything like that though.

Shane

I didn't think you did pattern welding! I actually checked you out first, since I know you do at least double fullered blades (quite well too, I might add). Granted that I may give up on the Pattern Welding altogether and just do a mono-steel blade, but if I'm going to do that I might just as well obtain a DT5156 and modify that blade myself. I do have an inquiry with Ollin Sword Design for a mono-steel "backup", as well. Or maybe just put a WTB in the Marketplace for an Albion Kragehul Bog and do what we did in Vietnam: Declare a victory, and go home.

I am flexible, to a point, so maybe something can be worked out. For example, I might be willing to relax the wait time requirement somewhat - really, if it could be kept to under two years I could conceivably live with that. Though for a bare, unhilted blade I'd expect a bit better turn around. The multiple fullers might be the deal breaker, since most smiths who do anything like this work are likely configured to handle a single wide fuller such as those found on Viking period swords, and probably lack the tools to do multiple narrower fullers.

If its not to be its not to be, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask! Thanks for your helpful reply, anyway.
Nathan Shallcross

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Owen bush is definately worth contacting, he's a great guy and does alot of research into historical blades.

I highly recommend him,
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to place another plug for Michael Pikula at Volund Forge. Reasonable wait and price for top quality work.
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check the Stagmer brothers, their site is in the process, but you can email them. They are also members on SBG, I don't know if they are here also. They did some pattern welding, but I don't know how historically accurate they are in that process. http://www.baltimoreknife.com/products.htm
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Lundemo can do wondrous thing with a billet from Jerry Rados, I have talked to him about doing bare blades in the past, so he may be a good option as well.
Vaclav Homan

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.antiquanova.com/armart/Viking_pattern_welded.htm
Partik Bárta friends from Brno Czech Rep.

There is only one art of fence yet many ways to reach it
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Owen Bush without fail because he fits all your criteria.

He is a good friend and I will say that upfront so it is in the open. However.......

I look after my reputation and I choose Owen to make my pattern welded blades and many of my sword blades; the ones I do make myself he treats for me.

Technically he is without a doubt the best in the UK in my opinion, and one of the best in Europe.

He loves making blades only and fullers are not a problem.

He will be able to turn it round at a reasonable cost in a few months rather than years.

Good luck

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's another plug for Michael Pikula. As a customer of his I can vouch first hand fir his work. And he's done some really nice pattern welded blades before. His prices are more then reasonable and his wait time is nowhere near Patric Barta's. Add to that he's right here in the states and you have a winner in my book.
Winter is coming
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies! This has been very helpful. It appears that I have multiple candidates to choose from.

For my part I need to scour myArmoury and find all posts pertaining to this type of sword, and scare up as many pictures as I can, and finish my translation of the relevant portions of Behmer, so that I can give a detailed picture of what I want made.

Thanks again!
Martin Erben

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you should ask Markus Balbach. He made a very good replica of the sword of Sutton-Hoo, which can be seen in the Deutsche Klingenmuseum in Solingen.
He always has pattern welded sword blades/blanks in stock. Maybe the right one is waiting for you there. Big Grin
(he can speak english very well, so don't be afraid to ask him in english)
The Link to his side about pattern welded swords: http://www.schmiede-balbach.de/seiten/euroschwerter.html

Here's a picture of the Sutton-Hoo blade and another pattern welded sword and its hilt:

Attachment: 19.28 KB
suttonh4d.jpg

Attachment: 11.09 KB
Breitschwert1.jpg

Attachment: 16.35 KB
Breitschwert2.jpg

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mind that there are people good at making proper historical blades with the right geometry and balance, and there are people who are great at patternwelding. There are very few that are good at both. So you may end up with a blade that's got a great pattern in it, but rather remote from the original blade in geometry. Patrick Barta obviously is unsurpassable, particularly because he also makes his own steel for the high end blades. I recently held the Sutton Hoo sword in my hands again, and it just reconfirmed me again just how incredibly great Partick's work is.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
- Bronze age living history in the Netherlands
- Barbarian metalworking
- Museum photos
- Zip-file with information about saxes
Philip Melhop

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi There
another vote for Owen Bush. Had the pleasure of seeing him work at a recent W.M.A event here in the UK. A very well informed chap who was only too happy to show the "secrets" of his trade. As it hapens I was able to handle a sword that he had made (and Tod hilted), it sang in the hand. Sadly all I could afford was a small Viking inspired utility knife
Phil
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
Here's another plug for Michael Pikula. As a customer of his I can vouch first hand fir his work. And he's done some really nice pattern welded blades before. His prices are more then reasonable and his wait time is nowhere near Patric Barta's. Add to that he's right here in the states and you have a winner in my book.

Same here as working with him on a project has been a joy and his prices and wait times are still low a short. Wink

I haven't handled one of his swords but the ones I've seen here look like they should be well balanced and handle well as well as having great aesthetics.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
K J Seago

PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

has anyone heard of hector cole? i think he did one of the swords with organic hilt at sutton hoo,lives in east anglia (england) and from what i've seen of him on julian richards programme he does the pattern welding rather well. A friend of mine was considering asking to assist him.
just another student of an interesting subject, Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for Makers of Pattern Welded Sword Blades
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic