Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hey look, a bunch of daggers and knives Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Hey look, a bunch of daggers and knives         Reply with quote

I've been processing photos all day and into the night. I took a break and did a few new photographs. Not great, but I thought I'd share 'em.

Over the years, I've had a ton of daggers and knives. I still have a few of my modern knives left, but not a lot. Most of what I have are at least somewhat "historic" in nature.

Most of my historic arms-related stuff has been sold to pay bills or go towards new purchases. Even what I have left is likely to be sold at some point in the future so I figured I'd unbox a few things and take some photos!

Here are some of the daggers and knives still in my collection:

Click photos for full-sized versions

A few of these things:

The ear dagger is from Arma Bohemia. The cinquedea and gunner's stiletto are from J.F. Schroeder. The katzbalger dagger is from Arms & Armor. The fancy dagger is A&A's Elector of Saxony parrying dagger. The small knife/pricker is from Tod's Stuff.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Cinquedea is quite nice. I wasn't a fan in the past, but now, it's quite appealing. If that ever goes up on sale I might just snatch it up, assuming I can afford it. The etching is also very nice.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know how I missed seeing that Cinqueda in your Collection pages. I love that! I'd like to try etching someday....
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jeff Kaisla

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a nice collection Nathan. I too like that Cinqueda, the Katzbalger as well, but two stand out at me as possible companion daggers that somewhat match a sword I have and one that I expect to be my next acquisition. In the top pic, what is the dagger in the top right with the S -shape guard? And also the one on the bottom to the left of the Cinqueda?

*Edit* Ah, I just found the A&A Elector
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Kaisla wrote:
In the top pic, what is the dagger in the top right with the S -shape guard?

I don't know exactly. It's an Antique Stiletto. The grip is made of what I believe are stacked pieces of tortoise shell.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I realized I forgot to put my rondel dagger in the photos above.

It was made by Eric McHugh and has a hollow-ground trapezoidal cross-section blade.

Click photos for full-sized versions

M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't say I'm a fan of that shell hilted dagger. The rondell, however, is ace.

M.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that little eating set is pretty cool. What is the total length of the knife?
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd say 4 or 5" looking at that; the blade of his Cinqueda is 15.5" for comparison.

M.

Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,

Very nice collection and your photography skill really show it off well!

I am interested in your thoughts (and those of others) on the Elector of Saxony dagger. My grandparents emigrated from Saxony after my grandfather ended his military service in WWI. I still have family there I have visited on several occasions (twice during the days of communism).

My connection with that part of Germany combined with my interest in the history of the Reformation has me thinking of stepping outside of my normal time period of collecting. I've been tempted by this dagger, Del Tin's version of the same, and A&A's Saxon parrying dagger. Has anyone reading this had the opportunity to compare one or more of these daggers?

I am wondering where the original of the A&A version is located. I've been to the Rustkammer in Dresden, and do not remember seeing it there.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chris-

I once owned the Del Tin dagger that is similar to the A&A Elector of Saxony dagger. it is quite nice. The A&A has a better fit and finish all around by quite a margin. The blade, in particular, is much more crisply defined on the A&A example. It's one of the better reproduction daggers I've handled. I've owned many dozens of daggers in my years and I suppose it says something that the A&A dagger has stayed in my care for well over a dozen years.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
I can't say I'm a fan of that shell hilted dagger. The rondell, however, is ace.

I'm thinking you're meaning the ear dagger? If so, yes, they're odd for the reproduction market (which is exactly why I like them) and so I can understand why one would not care for them. The rondel dagger by Eric McHugh is fantastic and has quite the complex blade geometry.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Andrews wrote:
I think that little eating set is pretty cool. What is the total length of the knife?

That's made by Leo Todeschini of Tod's Stuff. It's part of his production line, The English Cutler. I like it quite a bit, too. It was a Christmas present to myself this year.

The knife has an overall length of 5.625" with a blade length of 3.25". The pricker has an overall length of 4.125" and the blade length of 3".

While visiting the Museum of London a few years ago, I saw many knives and such things. I was a bit surprised at how dainty many of these items were. Exploring London's museums more, I saw other knives and weapons and saw the same trends. Many hilts, in particular, are much smaller than one might imagine. I think that many reproduction makers are hesitant to work at this scale, even though it's accurate to what history has left us. I was very pleased to see it represented in this set by Tod.

I bought it because I've been drawn to eating sets and other such "kits" but also had the thought that it might be put into a scabbard of a sword at some point. Since I own the A&A Katzbalger dagger, I thought someday I might buy the A&A katzbalger sword and have a scabbard created with the Tod's Stuff knife/pricker to accompany it.

M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
M. Eversberg II wrote:

I'm thinking you're meaning the ear dagger? If so, yes, they're odd for the reproduction market (which is exactly why I like them) and so I can understand why one would not care for them. The rondel dagger by Eric McHugh is fantastic and has quite the complex blade geometry.

Nope, I mean the one you said was made of tortoise shell. Ugly as sin, I'd say. The ear dagger is nice; way too rare for the markets good, I think.

M.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Nope, I mean the one you said was made of tortoise shell. Ugly as sin, I'd say. The ear dagger is nice; way too rare for the markets good, I think.

Ahh, I was struggling to figure out what you meant since there are daggers with shell-guards and, well, I don't have one. I'm far, far, far too literal sometimes with my language! Haha

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These saxon daggers are fun. There is some variety in the family, though. The pommel shapes are fairly similar, though distinct enough to probably separate into a couple of related groups. The guards are all very much alike. The blades are variations on a theme.

Below are four from the Museum fur Deutsche Geshichte. A&A's seems most based on the second from the right, while Del Tin's may be more on the one from the far left. I'd love to see an A&A version blackened like the second from the right, and bright (maybe silver-plated) where that one is bright.

There are a series of swords of varying fanciness that match. A&A's saxon military sword is a simpler version. The Met (see below) has several that fit that family and a dagger to match.

Attachment: 53.11 KB
SaxonDaggers.jpg
Saxon daggers from the Museum fur Deutsche Geschicte

Attachment: 17.06 KB
Met Dagger.jpg
Saxon dagger from the Met.

Attachment: 34.61 KB
Met Sword 1.jpg
A saxon sword from the Met

Attachment: 48.68 KB
Met Sword 2.jpg
A fancier saxon sword from the Met

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, I love these threads with group shots. I think it's neat to see people's collections and to see various swords/daggers in relation to others.

For those who haven't seen them, here are other similar threads (I think this is all of them so far):

Nathan's swords
My Swords/collection
Daggers in my collection and that of others
Gordon Clark's collection

You can also see a few collections from our Collections page.

Happy

ChadA

Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mmm... the cinqueda, rondel and ear dagger are my favorites!
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Chad! Those are great shots I've not seen before of Saxon daggers. In particular, I was interested to see the common blade length in of the daggers in the first photo (they appear longer than the A&A version of the Elector dagger) and was intrigued at how much the A&A Gustav parrying dagger looks like the one second from the left. Hmmm... decisions, decisions...

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
Thanks, Chad! Those are great shots I've not seen before of Saxon daggers. In particular, I was interested to see the common blade length in of the daggers in the first photo (they appear longer than the A&A version of the Elector dagger) and was intrigued at how much the A&A Gustav parrying dagger looks like the one second from the left. Hmmm... decisions, decisions...

Chris

Chris,
No problem. Happy The four in that pic are pretty similar in length, but there is another dagger in the same book (on the same page even) that is much longer. I just couldn't fit the book on my scanner the right way to get it scanned. Happy

It's almost a short sword.

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hey look, a bunch of daggers and knives
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: