Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Albion Count Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: My new Albion Count         Reply with quote

Because I couldn't turn down the 25% off sale that Albion recently had, I purchased both a Count as well as a Maximillian (which is still isn't in production yet). The Count arrived earlier this week, and I'm in love.

The funny thing about this piece is that I used to not like it. At all. I remember when the line drawing was first posted in the design phase, and I thought it looked kind of clunky. I think part of it is that I've never cared that much for the wider XIII family of blades, instead preferring the more slender styles, visually. And the hilt looked so odd to me. After it was in production, and I was able to see photos, I still didn't care much for it. But because it was so different than the typical swords on the market, I found myself going back to the photos and looking on it. And I started to admire the unique guard, and the way it was shaped. And the oddball quality of the sword started making me appreciate it more and more. Still, I expected it to be a little bit on the heft side, as many XIII styled blades are, and I figured it wouldn't be my preference. Then I had the chance to handle one at WMAW, and realized how wrong I was: The sword is far lighter than I realized, and it just soars through cuts.

I've only done some very light test cutting, but so far its keen edge and thin, broad blade have shown it to slice incredibly well. I can't wait to try it on tatami.

I ordered mine with the bronze pommel and a blue grip, and it really has a very regal appeal to it with that combination. I find the blue and bronze really set each other off.

And now I can't afford any more swords for a very, very long time, but at least I can be happy for the time being with the ones I have. Happy

Attachment: 140.49 KB
hilt_sm.jpg

Attachment: 133.08 KB
hilt2_sm.jpg

Attachment: 146.26 KB
full_sm.jpg

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks sharp. Really really nice. And regal too.

When you put money down for the Maximillian, did they give you any indication on how it's progressing?

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman wrote:
When you put money down for the Maximillian, did they give you any indication on how it's progressing?

Other than "it will be a little while", no. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been able to play a bit with a Count a couple times a fw year back, and although I have nowhere near your experience, it was not what I expected it to be either. Its been long enough that I just remember is that it felt lighter in motion than I expected, it cut very well and was very pleasant to test drive.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a Ritter so I know what a nice blade the Count has. I'd love a few swings witht the longer grip, I'm sure it makes a big difference. The blue grip looks really nice with the bronze pommel! Enjoy your new sword, it's not a bad choice for one to last you a while!
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice! The Count has always been a favourite Albion sword of mine. Happy
The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heh! Sort of a coincidence.

I remember swinging this one in Albion's showroom in New Glarus, WI last year-- I fell in love with it.

As I was putting down a payment on the Stamford that I was ordering, I mentioned to Mike that my next sword MIGHT be a Count-- with the Bronze pommel and Green leather-wrapped grip. His response was "Now THAT would look sharp!"

I bet he said the same thing about this one, if he got a chance to see it...

But, yeah, the Count is a hugely-underrated sword in the lineup (as are the Viceroy and Castellan, for that matter). It feels like the perfect weapon to swing from horseback, and is "handier" than several katana I've handled on foot.

Unlike Bill, I went absolutely ga-ga's over the Count when the initial drawing was released by Peter-- but then I was a bit under-whelmed when the first photos came out. It seems like they have done a good job in cleaning up the sword's proportions since, however.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's beautiful. I've never really considered a blue grip, although I own one sword with a green grip. Suffice it to say, the blue and bronze are stunning together. Great colors to have on the eve of the Army-Navy Game. I approve! Wink

And please let us know how it does against the tatami. Big Grin

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine is bronze and red Happy It is a great cutter, and it does better against the tougher light targets than any of my other swords. Def one of my "keepers".
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To use a boxing term, it looks like you are really down for the Count. It is a great looking sword, though I prefer the Steward's simpler hilt on the same blade.
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having had a chance to handle it briefly, I have to admit, I'm blown away by it. Now I want one.... Arg. Happy

As I've stated elsewhere, I've never really much cared for the octagonal faceted pommel design, and so I'd always skip over it on Albion's site. When you mentioned you were ordering one, I took a closer look and started to actually admire the pictures. Upon handling it, I'm shocked at how light and agile it feels. For a longsword, it handles remarkably well single-handed. It has the sort of feel and balance that particularly appeals to me.

It's interesting that when I started buying Albions, I was initially drawn to the Talhoffer and other XVa and thrusting style swords, because of what that implied about the handling. But now I'm finding the XII and XIII classes much more appealing, especially after having gotten my Baron and Knight. I could even see selling the Talhoffer to help pay for one of these.

The blue grip looks fantastic, and being my primary color, I'd be tempted to do the same. Ugh, I don't want to be such a copycat. But actually, I think this would great with Oxblood too.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Tomasz B.

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very sharp and beautiful weapon it has a very subtle edge, the perfect weapon for cutting.
Thomas

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Albion Count
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic