Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: British P1827 rifle officer's sword by WilkinsonSOLD Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: For Sale: British P1827 rifle officer's sword by Wilkinson         Reply with quote

This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

This Pattern 1827 Rifle Officer's sword is by Wilkinson and was sold in 1878. When new this sword was a Pattern 1854 Infantry Officer's Sword and would have had a gilt steel or brass "Gothic" hilt. At some point in the sword's lifetime (likely the 1890s, possibly the early 1900s) the P1854 hilt was re-hilted with a German Silver P1827 Rifle Officer's Sword hilt by Fenton Brothers of Sheffield. The brown leather field service scabbard was probably purchased around the same time the sword was re-hilted. The sword likely began life with a steel service scabbard.

According to the Wilkinson sales ledger, this sword was sold to D.S. Stewart. Colonel Dudley Strathearn Stewart CB was the son of Deputy Surgeon General L.W. Stewart, of Madras. He was commissioned into the 1st (Royal) Regiment of Foot as a second lieutenant on 11 May, 1878, and quickly transferred to the 5th (Northumberland Fusiliers) Regiment of Foot on 23 July, 1878. He advanced at a fairly steady pace, becoming lieutenant 1 January, 1881; captain 27 January, 1886. In 1888 the 2/Northumberland Fusiliers participated in the Black Mountain Expedition, which would likely have been Stewart's first taste of action. In 1893 Stewart was appointed adjutant of the 1st (Renfrewshire) Volunteer Battalion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. It may have been during his tenure as adjutant that Stewart chose to have his sword re-hilted with a P1827 hilt. In Volunteer Memories, William Lamont writes of Stewart:

Quote:
In 1893 Captain Dudley Strathearn Stewart of the Northumberland Fusiliers was appointed adjutant of the battalion and a most efficient and popular one he proved to be. When he rejoined his regiment at the expiry of his tour of duty, the battalion followed his career with interest in South Africa, and were delighted when he emerged from that eventful campaign scathless, in command of his regiment the Fighting Fifth, with the decoration of a Companion of the Bath conferred on him by His Majesty.

Stewart reached the rank of major 23 September, 1896. A few short years later Stewart was off to South Africa where he was quite a busy man:

Quote:
S. African War, 1899-1902 - In commd., 2 Bn, North'd Fus. from 9 feb
to 8 Apr 00. Operations in the Orange Free State, Feb to May 00.
Operations in Orange River Colony, May to Nov 00. Operations in Cape
Colony, south of Orange River, 99-00.

In commd., 1 Bn, North'd Fus. 23 Nov 01 to 31 May 02. operations in
the Transvaal, 30 Nov 00 to Jan 02. Operations in Orange River
Colony, Jan 02. operations in Cape Colony, Feb to 31 May 02. Commdt.,
Veereeniging [where the Boers finally accepted British sovereignty]
from 28 Jul 00. Despatches, Lond. Gaz., 10 Sep 01. Brev. Of Lt.Col.
Queen's Medal with 3 clasps. King's Medal with 3 clasps. C.B.

I assume that Stewart became a lieutenant-colonel at some point during the Boer War. Stewart retired from the in 1909, but returned to the Northumberland Fusiliers in 1914 as commanding officer of the 10th Battalion until 1916, and appears to have retired (again!) in 1920.

I will include the Wilkinson ledger entry for this sword as well as a copy of Stewart's WWI MIC.

$750 US plus shipping ($30 CONUS, $50 to the UK). PayPal accepted and preferred (please add 3% to cover fees). Other methods of payment will be considered. Please PM with any questions.

Jonathan
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am motivated to sell this sword. I am lowering the price to $700 plus shipping. I am also open to reasonable offers. Happy

Jonathan
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am going to re-list this sword at the same price--$700 plus shipping. I will consider offers, so please contact me via PM with an offer.

I am also open to trades. I am interested in other ID'd Victorian swords or swords with research potential. A P1854 infantry officer's sword, P1821 LC or HC officer's sword, or interesting Indian Army patterns and variants would be of particular interest.

Thank you,
Jonathan

jgileshopkins[at]yahoo[dot]com
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword is still available! Happy
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Still available! Still some research potential! Happy
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: New Price         Reply with quote

$675.00 plus shipping.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword is still available. Please feel free to make me an offer! Happy
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sold pending payment.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

STILL AVAILABLE

$650 plus $25 for shipping in the continental USA. I have had two buyers who for whatever reason have not been able to complete the transaction after I had listed the item as "on hold" or "pending". For this reason I will only accept payment via PayPal (3% fee applies), and ask that funds be sent as quickly as possible (I will determine this with the buyer).

If anyone is interested in this sword and my P1897 sword of Lt.-Col. Trotter, I am sure we could work something out. I am still open to offers for either sword.

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: British P1827 rifle officer's sword by WilkinsonSOLD
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic