Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > English Baskethilt by ElJay Erickson Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: English Baskethilt by ElJay Erickson         Reply with quote

It's pretty hard to type down the excited and totally amazed feeling so I 'll try to let the pics do it...Thanks to ElJay Erickson for accepting this and another commission last year during lunch in Morro Bay, Ca for our yearly sword meet that I think was our 6th year that just past us by...This hilt is based off an original that is in the book British Basket-Hilt Swords: A Typology of British Basket-Type Sword Hilts by Cyril Mazansky ...Having seen and held "Pinch of Snuff" a backsword that ElJay made a few years back, I knew this hilt would be pretty easy for him to make for me...Thanks again ElJay for such a beauty!

Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! That's a beaut!
Quite unusual design, but very attractive! Eljay doesn't seize to impress.
Have you decided what blade you'll have it mounted on?

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's an interesting and complex-looking hilt, Ben. I can imagine the craftsmanship, having just recently recieved my hilt from Eljay. Congratulations!
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful work! Makes me want a basket hilt sword!
How long did it take to order and receive?

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: English Baskethilt by ElJay Erickson         Reply with quote

Ben Sweet wrote:
Having seen and held "Pinch of Snuff" a backsword that ElJay made a few years back, I knew this hilt would be pretty easy for him to make for me...

Easy to make!?!? Wink I would love to see something that challenges him! This is truly a beautiful piece. It makes me want a baskethilt too! They always look so odd without a blade though. Please post pics once you have a blade for this one too, I'd love to see them.
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love his work. Congratulations on your acquisition.
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

Henrik I have a few blades on hand and I like the backsword look so far to this hilt, just need a pommel nut that is 1/4-28 which the 2nd blade down from the top has for threads otherwise it is a perfect fit till I find someone who would be interested in making a custom blade...

Gary Last year for the 2007 sword meet during lunch in Morro Bay, Ca I had picked out 2 (?) hilts to be made and this one was done for this years sword meet. Almost every year I have picked up a hilt from ElJay...Others here might have received their hilts faster or longer.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben, that new basket-hilt is absolutely fantastic! I have to find the time to go look up the original on which it is based. Can you give me a page number to speed that up? I must say that I suspect the reproduction has more wow factor than the original does at this point because the original didn't stick in my mind this like this surely will. Amazing detail. I don't know how he does it.

I also want to thank you for posting the group shot of the various hilts. I love group shots of different weapons and your photography skills certainly make it even more of a pleasure to see them. I posted my own EBE swords in a topic long ago.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
...I love group shots of different weapons and your photography skills certainly make it even more of a pleasure to see them. I posted my own EBE swords in a topic long ago.

Hey Nathan...

I had the same thought. It's fantastic to be able to see such beautiful swords in such clear and beautiful photographic art. You and Ben are masters at it.

Thanks for the pictures Ben... Great work!

ElJay's work always has that extra something that resonates with the originals IMO.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mazansky G18d Drummond Castle Collection

page 171

Beautiful
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Nathan...I have no clue where my book is so I'm no help on that. There is another hilt that I picked and I cant remember exactly which one it was only that it is within a few pages of this one, ElJay did say it was going to be easier for him to make Laughing Out Loud I also have no clue how he does what he does, but it's amazing....

On the picture size you have set up...is there any chance to bump it up to 900 wide? I no longer have a monitor but one of these LCD things and that 800 wide looks so tiny now, I can get around that by rotating the photo but then the photo just does not look right....

One of these day I hope you show up for our yearly sword meet, I would love to see your hilts ElJay made!

--

Thanks Kirk! I took a few more photos the other day after I re-threaded a sword blade I bought here and mounted it which is only temporary till I get a custom blade made for it, I felt cheap mounting that blade on this amazing hilt , at least it is off now... If we are lucky with the width increase I can bring the photos right in otherwise tomorrow I'll post them up after I re-size them all down and re-host them...dang wide LCD screens

edit to add...Thanks Thom!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben Sweet wrote:
On the picture size you have set up...is there any chance to bump it up to 900 wide? I no longer have a monitor but one of these LCD things and that 800 wide looks so tiny now, I can get around that by rotating the photo but then the photo just does not look right....

It's set at 800 because that is all that will fit within the forum's design. You can attach bigger images. They will appear linked rather than inline. I'd suggest making the first at 800 and the rest at 1200. That way the first shows up in-line and whets the appetite for others to click the links to load the others. Either that, or make a small-sized version that links to a large version you're hosting elsewhere. This is what I generally do in my topics.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > English Baskethilt by ElJay Erickson
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic