Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Good Sabre Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Mark Williamson

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Good Sabre         Reply with quote

Hi all Im a noob here so I hope this is in the right place. Im looking for a good cutting sabre which is quick enough to practise with. (alone of course) Id like to be able to practise both moulinets and feints as well as I would in a duel while still being able to practise cutting with it as well.

Ive read some good things about the cold steel and windlass 1796 patterns but Im wondering if anyone practising WMA here can recoomend anything?
Chris Murray

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Good Sabre         Reply with quote

Mark Williamson wrote:
Hi all Im a noob here so I hope this is in the right place. Im looking for a good cutting sabre which is quick enough to practise with. (alone of course) Id like to be able to practise both moulinets and feints as well as I would in a duel while still being able to practise cutting with it as well.

Ive read some good things about the cold steel and windlass 1796 patterns but Im wondering if anyone practising WMA here can recoomend anything?

Hi, I am new here as well, but I do have a Cold Steel 1796 pattern light cavalry sabre, so I will offer an opinion. This is a fantastic slashing weapon (due to the curvature, which gives a naturally long draw) and a wicked chopper, due the weight of the hatchet point. I can only imagine how effective this weapon would be from horseback Big Grin . That very weight of the hatchet point, however, does give this sabre significant blade presence and I don't see it as being suitable for fencing where small, controlled movements would be required (for your moulinets and feints). It would not be quick in the recovery and your wrist and forearm would tire rapidly trying to recover from feints. I've never handled a Windlass 1796 pattern sabre, so I can't speak for that one.

Chris.
Mark Williamson

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks chris. I had heard the same thing about the CS 1796 being slow to recover, Ive been reding the reviews here and at other sites. My other problem is that I dont have much to spend. .
If anybody else has any Ideas let me know.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, you have Hanweii Hutton practice sabres.
They are ligth and cheap, but not sabres for the field.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Mark Williamson

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:

Hmmm. They do look a bit too light. Ive ehard some good things about the CS napolean, any thoughts? Or would I be better off looking for a tulwar?
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the idea of the Hutton Sabre. It's nice, and practicing with a lighter sabre is not a bad thing at all. And then you can search for a sharp weapon of similar type. The live steel comparison for the hutton sabre is the 1861 Austrian Infantry Sabre. It has a longer "back" to it so it is heavier. But the blade profile is much the same. Here ars some pics.

Attachment: 18.4 KB
prussian sabre 1.jpg

Attachment: 4.68 KB
prussian sabre 2.jpg

Attachment: 19.38 KB
prussian sabre 3.jpg

inkothemgard!
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Williamson wrote:
Elling Polden wrote:

Hmmm. They do look a bit too light. Ive ehard some good things about the CS napolean, any thoughts? Or would I be better off looking for a tulwar?

http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords1.htm

Try this one and give me a review Wink

Or perhaps this one: http://www.militaryheritage.com/images/1802sabre_1.jpg

Both are ca. $250[/img]
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

www.gggodwin.com offers some repro 18th century swords that look quite nice. Military Heritage's site has been mentioned already, but they do offer British style swords, too! Happy http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords2.htm

Jonathan
Mark Williamson

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, you have all made some great suggestions. I am really trying to find a curved blade since i hope to make use of the curve to practise wrist cuts and offline thrusts. Its not for reenactment purposes so I dont feel the need to be historically accurate. Im just looking for a light quick curved sword that will be responsive enough to practise with yet strong enough to cut with.

*I know Im not asking for much Laughing Out Loud *
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are not concerned about historical accuracy, check out Angus Trim's tactical line: http://www.angustrimdirect.com/tacswords.htm I believe you'll have to order through www.christianfletcher.com, however.

Jonathan
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Good Sabre         Reply with quote

Mark, if you are looking for a good sabre to practice with I suggest that you use this Hussar sabre.
Mike West

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Sabre         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Mark, if you are looking for a good sabre to practice with I suggest that you use this Hussar sabre.

That's a nice sabre. What is the country of origin?

It seems as if the sabres with straighter blades (less curvature) handle better for fencing on foot, being more maneuverable and, having a faster recovery.
Mark Williamson

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Sabre         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:

That is nice. Which manufacturer?
Mark Williamson

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Sabre         Reply with quote

Mike West wrote:
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:

That's a nice sabre. What is the country of origin?

It seems as if the sabres with straighter blades (less curvature) handle better for fencing on foot, being more maneuverable and, having a faster recovery.

I am actually looking for something with some curve.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Good Sabre         Reply with quote

To Mike, I think this sword is either of Polish or Hungarian origin.
To Mark, the sword's manufacturer is unknown.

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Sun 16 Mar, 2008 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Konstantin Tsvetkov

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark,

I would go for a british P1853 or later 19th century british cavalry sword.

Speaking of modern swords, I would, probably, choose Cold Steel Napoleonic cavalry saber. It is not so much curved as their prussian cavalry.

Konstantin.
Mike West

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Good Sabre         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
To Mike, I think this sword is either of Polish or Hungarian origin.
To Mark, the sword's manufacturer is unknown.

What era would that sabre have been used? Based on what you've wrote, it sounds like it could be very effective fencing sabre while on foot.
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Sabre         Reply with quote

Might I recommend a Cossack Shashka? I have an original, but Deepeeka makes one for a very reasonable price.
If you go to www.by-the-sword.com they have a large selection of Deepeeka swords, including an entire page full of sabres.
[ I forgot to mention the price, which is $144.00]

Hope you find what your looking for.

Nathan.
Mark Williamson

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sabre         Reply with quote

Nathan M Wuorio wrote:
Might I recommend a Cossack Shashka? I have an original, but Deepeeka makes one for a very reasonable price.
If you go to www.by-the-sword.com they have a large selection of Deepeeka swords, including an entire page full of sabres.
[ I forgot to mention the price, which is $144.00]

Hope you find what your looking for.

How is depeeka's quality? I only ask becasue their prices seem to be more in line with wall hangers.
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've found that the quality is surprisingly good. Carbon steel blades, pretty sharp to the touch, and holds up rather well with cutting tests. I don't think that Deepeeka is quite at the level of Albion, but for their price range the swords are pretty much unbeatable.
Nathan.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Good Sabre
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: