Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Things that I learned here... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Alfonso Asensio

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Things that I learned here...         Reply with quote

1) That swords cannot be made of stainless steel

2)That chain mail has no "chain" on it

3)why the grips of Viking swords look so freakishly small

4)who that Oakeshott person was

5)what a harmonic point is

6)That there is a company called Albion

7)That they made nice swords

8)why medieval geeks would spend more than $600 in a sword

9)that I must be a medieval geek because I ordered mine yesterday

10) why some sword-ends look so pointy

11) why some sword-ends look so roundy

but most important, that it is ok to like swords

I am sure there is more...
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

12) while many things are more or less historically likely, almost any weapon you can think of has been done by someone, somewhere. At least once.

13) the samurai vs knight debate will never be resolved, but will never expire from forums
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Things that I learned here...         Reply with quote

Alfonso Asensio wrote:

Hmmm...be careful with this one. "Chain mail" is technically wrong, but "chain" or "chain armor" is every bit as correct as "mail." And if you're talking about physical construction, then Japanese mail does have sections that are more like non-armor chains than armor-grade mail as we know it--mostly because it was meant as a connective system rather than armor on its own.
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
the samurai vs knight debate will never be resolved, but will never expire from forums

Nor, it seems, will the 'english warbow vs plate' debate...

Big Grin
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that I learned here...         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Alfonso Asensio wrote:

Hmmm...be careful with this one. "Chain mail" is technically wrong, but "chain" or "chain armor" is every bit as correct as "mail." And if you're talking about physical construction, then Japanese mail does have sections that are more like non-armor chains than armor-grade mail as we know it--mostly because it was meant as a connective system rather than armor on its own.

I thought that chain mail was something you got in your post and you was to forwarded it to someone else. Eek!

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

swords can be made of stainless steel...

Bob Engnath made them, Barry Dawson has been making them for many years, Barry's niece Lynn also makes stainless steel swords and her husband Dennis too, Jay Fisher is another stainless steel sword maker.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben Sweet wrote:
Quote:

Bob Engnath made them, Barry Dawson has been making them for many years, Barry's niece Lynn also makes stainless steel swords and her husband Dennis too, Jay Fisher is another stainless steel sword maker.

The problem here is that most stainless steel swords are decorator pieces made out of 420J steel that is NOT one of the really good stainless steels and there is the conventional wisdom that long blades made of stainless steels tend to be more brittle at any equivalent blade hardness that simple carbon steels or spring steels.

The right hardness and heat treat using a high quality stainless might make a good sword if steel makers formulated a stainless alloy researched to have the right qualities for a long blade.

There is also the fact that carbon steels are " traditional " and a known quantity as far as producing an optimum sword.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Things that I learned here...         Reply with quote

Alfonso,
I think that's usual for many sword blades. Some have pointy ends, some roundy. There are no such things as swords with blades shaped like anything else.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Things that I learned here...         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Alfonso,
I think that's usual for many sword blades. Some have pointy ends, some roundy. There are no such things as swords with blades shaped like anything else.

Some swordblades have spatulate or plain square ends. Happy

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Dan P

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Things that I learned here...         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:

Some have TWO points Surprised
http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~5008...aladin.htm
http://www.traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/filipino.Kampilan.htm
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Things that I learned here...         Reply with quote

Alfonso Asensio wrote:

3)why the grips of Viking swords look so freakishly small

5)what a harmonic point is.

Oh good! Could you explain those to me, then? Razz

Dan P wrote:
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:

Some have TWO points Surprised
http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~5008...aladin.htm
http://www.traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/filipino.Kampilan.htm

About the Saladin one, if you ever get the Kingdom of Heaven DVD, check out the extra material concerning weapons. This museum dude actually produces an antique blade with parallel-edged double points.

These swords are apparently based on a semi-mythic sword owned by Muhammed or something. Funny what effect religion can have, eh?
Alfonso Asensio

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So... it seems I didn't learn as many things as I thought.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Ben Sweet wrote:
Quote:

The problem here is that most stainless steel swords are decorator pieces made out of 420J steel that is NOT one of the really good stainless steels and there is the conventional wisdom that long blades made of stainless steels tend to be more brittle at any equivalent blade hardness that simple carbon steels or spring steels.

The right hardness and heat treat using a high quality stainless might make a good sword if steel makers formulated a stainless alloy researched to have the right qualities for a long blade.

There is also the fact that carbon steels are " traditional " and a known quantity as far as producing an optimum sword.

Lets say we want to make the most resileant sword possible (flexible body, hard edge, etc) and that we have no historical concerns. In that case stainless steel will be a better option than carbon steel (easier to maintain)? It has no other penalties?
I guess my question is if we suddenly went back to using swords we will still be making them out of carbon steel or will we use our current metalurgic technology to try a different metal (be it stainless or something more exotic like titanium)
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that I learned here...         Reply with quote

Do you know Anders, the Prophet Muhammed used to carry a two-pronged sword while leading his followers to battle. Now replicas of his sword are kept in museums worldwide.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that I learned here...         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
About the Saladin one, if you ever get the Kingdom of Heaven DVD, check out the extra material concerning weapons. This museum dude actually produces an antique blade with parallel-edged double points.

These swords are apparently based on a semi-mythic sword owned by Muhammed or something. Funny what effect religion can have, eh?

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Do you know Anders, the Prophet Muhammed used to carry a two-pronged sword while leading his followers to battle. Now replicas of his sword are kept in museums worldwide.

The forked, split or cloven sword owned by Mohammed was called Dhu'l Faqar. Accounts of its actual form vary, and the only definitive information I've found about it is that it was used by the Prophet at Badr in 624, and bequeathed to his son-in-law, Caliph Ali...

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must confess,

Through myArmoury I have learned, either directly or indirectly, through being pointed towards a given book. nearly everything I know about A&A.

I also learned that some A&A sites are better than others. Wink

Jeremy
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
12) while many things are more or less historically likely, almost any weapon you can think of has been done by someone, somewhere. At least once.
If you talk about the originals, yes Happy But I seem to have a knack for liking blades that have never been made by anyone in recent times.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Things that I learned here...         Reply with quote

Well, it seems to me that some swords have guards, while some don't.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've learned a great deal. Most importantly, I learned about, and got a book through here, called "Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight". That, is a done deal in and of itself.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

(14) Some people don't like questions.

(15) The Marketplace is more than often filled with quality items.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still have to get that book "Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight", it's a must have!
Wow! What haven't I learned here because of myArmoury!?
I was fortunate to befriend one of the former moderators and a former member here "Patrick Kelly" and he spent a lot of time writing me emails with information sending me in the right directions and a few phone calls too!
I always knew that I had a whole lot to learn, which is why I sought out this website in fhe first place, I came here to learn because I was totally in love with my new found interest and focal point which has surpassed all former interests, even those that still interest me!
I already knew that a good hand and a half sword was going to cost me over $600.00 because I happened upon the
Arms & Armor Boothe at the Bristol Ren Fair on the IL and WI border the summer of 2005 and in the previous 3 summers, in fact I'd already bought a spear, dagger and after 2 years of contemplation my first sword The German Bastard Sword from them. However, I did not yet know who Albion was, but I was not here very long before I found out and Wow was I ever impressed with their company!
I've met a few of the members in person, gone to a couple of cutting fests that Shane Allee held and really enjoyed myself and I am hoping for another one this spring or summer and wow have I got the plastic jugs to bring! LOL
I learned about Chivalry Bookshelf because of myArmoury also, and I've bought 18 or 19 of their books including
In Service of the Duke, which is the showpiece of my related library!
I could go on and on and write a really long post listing the things I've learned here, but I will spare all of you by saying that without myArmoury I would be far behind where I am at now!

Nathan you have helped so many people in such a big way Exclamation

Bob

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Things that I learned here...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: